Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

US 2 Maine to Vermont

I will be in Maine in August and will be heading back toward AZ (not necessarily in the shortest route). I am considering taking US 2 from Interstate 95 in Maine to Interstate 93 in Vermont. We are driving a Dynaquest and don't mind 2 lane roads and most hills. Is there anything about that route we should know about?
dmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

Can't help with the route, it's been too many years, be sure to stop at MT Washington.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

We did the same route from Lake Placid area to Calais Maine a couple of years back and we’ll do it again this year heading out to the Canadian Maritimes.

Like mentioned above.....if you’ve got time, visit Mt. Washington (highest mountain East of the Mississippi). I don’t think they allow motorhomes up the mountain but they have 4WD passenger vans, or there’s the COG Railway up the backside of the mountain.
If you need a base camp nearby, check into Timberland Campground right on US 2 just North East of Mt. Washington.

https://timberlandcampgroundnh.com/

If you can, continue along US 2/I-93 westbound to Waterbury Vermont....
home of Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream. Great tours and free ice cream.

Then for a real treat......follow Vermont Route 100 South to wherever.
..voted one of the 10 best scenic roads in the USA. Lots of waterfalls and scenic sites to see, so watch out for tourists.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

I-93 is in New Hampshire and runs south toward Boston. That may not be the interstate you want if generally heading west. The route below includes traveling on I-93 from Lincoln, NH to just south of Concord, NH.

I assume you're getting on Rt. 2 in either Bangor or Newport, ME and heading west? If so, I'd suggest the following:

- Bangor/Newport west on Rt. 2 to Gorham, NH.
- Gorham south on Rt. 16 to Mt. Washington
- Mt. Washington south on Rt. 16 to Conway, NH
- Conway west on Rt. 112 to Lincoln, NH (Kancamagus Highway - spectacular!)
- Lincoln south on I-93 to Concord, NH
- Concord to I-89 north to Rt. 9/Rt.202 exit
- Rt. 9/Rt. 202 to Keene, NH
- Keene west on Rt. 9 to Brattleboro, VT. At that point, you can head farther west on Rt. 9 to Bennington, VT or head south on I-91 toward Massachusetts.

Notes:

- There will be a lot of traffic at that time of the year so take the times Google Maps tells you and add about 25-30%.

- At Mt. Washington, park your rig by the Glenn House and take one of the "Stages" (HD passenger vans) up the Autoroad to the summit. They're not cheap but (a) someone who knows the road is driving and (b) you will be free to watch the transition from farmland to an high alpine environment. There's a great observation building (with food, restrooms and info) as well as a museum which is quite interesting. Be sure to find the wall plaque listing all the "unauthorized descents" that have happened in the last 100-years or so.

- From Mt. Washington to Conway, you will be passing through North Conway. This is a big tourist destination so the traffic is very heavy during the day. Have patience, though; North Conway to Conway is much lees crowded.

- No life is complete without traveling the Kancamagus Highway (NH Rt. 112 west)! you will experience smooth elevation changes, a number of pull-outs, cool air and gorgeous vistas. Lincoln is your end destination where you can have a bite to eat and fuel-up before getting on I-93 south. The "Kanc" is a favorite of sports car drivers and motorcyclists. Keep an eye out for them.

- Traveling down I-93 to Concord, I-89 north (seems like it should be west!) is about 3 miles south of Concord. Heading north on I-89, the Rt. 9/Rt. 202 exit is on the left. You want to head toward Henniker, NH.

- Rt. 9/Rt. 202 toward Keene is narrow in a few places. It can also have sports cars and motorcyclists. There is generally no passing on the narrow sections so, again, have patience.

Your return trip sounds wonderful. Have fun and travel safely!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

Maine US 2

You are correct concerning I93. Guess I was a bit tired when I posted last night. I was correct about Vermont, but should have said I91.

Thanks for the detailed info. It is most helpful in trip planning.
dmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

This is great as I will be driving from Acadia home to Flordia with no real route planned yet in Sept
seizethebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Wait till next year...

At Lincoln I like 93N thru Franconia Notch with stops at the Flume and Mirror Lake(Old man of the Mountain-such as it is now).Then north on 93 to rejoin Rt 2 at St Johnsbury.Then 2 thru to Burlington. Plenty of side trips off of 2 thru vermont though they would be easier with a toad.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
We did the same route from Lake Placid area to Calais Maine a couple of years back and we’ll do it again this year heading out to the Canadian Maritimes.

Like mentioned above.....if you’ve got time, visit Mt. Washington (highest mountain East of the Mississippi). I don’t think they allow motorhomes up the mountain but they have 4WD passenger vans, or there’s the COG Railway up the backside of the mountain.
If you need a base camp nearby, check into Timberland Campground right on US 2 just North East of Mt. Washington.

..voted one of the 10 best scenic roads in the USA. Lots of waterfalls and scenic sites to see, so watch out for tourists.
I'm sorry but Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina is the highest (tallest) mountain east of the Mississippi river. It is some 400+ ft. taller than Mt. Washington.
Furrion Observation Camera
Goodyear Endurance Tires
dfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #9

The Shelburne Museum in VT is worth going out of your way. 39 buildings on 45 acres near Lake Champlain. When you buy your tickets, they are good for two days. You’ll need two days to see everything. Google it.

Someone told us about it when we were in Bar Harbor, and we were glad we went.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
At Lincoln I like 93N thru Franconia Notch with stops at the Flume and Mirror Lake(Old man of the Mountain-such as it is now).Then north on 93 to rejoin Rt 2 at St Johnsbury.Then 2 thru to Burlington. Plenty of side trips off of 2 thru vermont though they would be easier with a toad.

DO NOT take Route 2 from St. Johnsbury, VT to Montpelier, VT toward Burlington, VT! It's a narrow 2 lane road at the best, full of major pot holes and the traffic can be anything from Granma & Granpa to loaded logging trucks & semi's since it is still a major thread across the state. I used to travel that road many times before relocating back home and know it well.

I-91 runs north & south ~ Canada line to I-95 in Connecticut.

I-93 runs west & east (at an angle) from Boston to Burlington. Joins I-91 just south outside of St. Johnsbury.

I-89 also runs west & east (on an angle) but farther mid ways down of Vermont state.

Those are the ONLY major highways in that area. All other roads are normally 2 lane roads with everyday traffic of every kind on them.

Be alert and enjoy the northeastern country.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccubbin View Post
I will be in Maine in August and will be heading back toward AZ (not necessarily in the shortest route). I am considering taking US 2 from Interstate 95 in Maine to Interstate 93 in Vermont. We are driving a Dynaquest and don't mind 2 lane roads and most hills. Is there anything about that route we should know about?

There is a ferry in the northern part of Vermont you can cross over into New York state on, that one hauls motorcycles to semi's and a very short ride. The other ferry from Burlington to NY will cost you A LOT and is a very long ride.

The Adirondack Mountains and northern NY make for a beautiful trip, but fuel prices are crazy up there (anywhere in NY). We went up last summer and gas was over $3 a gallon, around mid to high $2 everywhere else.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #12
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Just a short note... Mt Washington is NOT the tallest mountain East of the Mississippi....The highest peak East of the Mississippi is Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina... Just thought that I would give you a good trivia question and answer...… Most people will answer Mt Washington..
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote