Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,267
US 48 and US 33 in West Virginia

I'm thinking about a trip that includes going from Weston WV to Harrisonburg WV. Looks like route would start on US 48 and then pick up US 33 at Elkins. One site I checked says that the elevation change is 758 to 3602 feet with a total climb of 15820 feet and a total descent of 15246 feet.
Has anyone driven this? How are the roads?
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,267



__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,051
Sailor Sam. I'm not sure where Weston is or anything about Rte 33. US 48 will take you almost to Interstate 81 and you can take it South to Harrisonburg.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: St Peters, MO.
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I'm thinking about a trip that includes going from Weston WV to Harrisonburg WV. Looks like route would start on US 48 and then pick up US 33 at Elkins. One site I checked says that the elevation change is 758 to 3602 feet with a total climb of 15820 feet and a total descent of 15246 feet.
Has anyone driven this? How are the roads?
SailorSam, It has been a long time ago that I was up that way pulling a 22foot TT with a Ford van. Maybe the early to mid 1980's. I won't be of much help, but I remember it was a really scenic drive, very hilly, with a lot of turns.
Isn't Harrisonburg in Virginia? We visited Cass Mountain Railroad while we were up that way. It is in Cass, WV and we felt it was worth a trip to visit.
We spent almost a week traveling from about Ripley, WV through the eastern part of WV coming back through Charleston and then heading back toward Ripley. I had family in Cottageville, WV that we were visiting while in WV.
Although the roads were hilly and with lots of curves we never had any problems. Of course this was a long time ago.
Good luck and hopefully someone else will supply you with the information you need.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,051
I just noticed you said Harrisonburg WVA did you mean Harrisonburg VA.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 797
I have ridden motorcycles all through that area. Tractor trailers take the road to the poultry farms in the area. As long as your Rig and is in good shape and not overloaded you will be fine. Not my vid, but this is the direction you'll be headed from Brandywine WV to H'burg.
https://youtu.be/LaAtgWZ2vOE
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
I just noticed you said Harrisonburg WVA did you mean Harrisonburg VA.

Yup, I must have an overactive W key...


Thanks for the info. I generally run light, will have a nearly new truck, and have disc brakes on the trailer...
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Thanks for the info. I generally run light, will have a nearly new truck, and have disc brakes on the trailer...
It is a beautiful drive. Enjoy it! Depending on how long you are, and if it is a weekend, The quick stop at the scenic overlook atop the VA/ WVA border on 33 is worth the look. There is plenty of room in the gravel lot but sometimes people park like donkeys. It is located at the High Knob Trailhead.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...!4d-79.1691045
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 90
Where do you live? I'm in Buckhannon. We never took this trip with the TT, but have in the truck. I think 33 has less hills, but no matter how you go there are quite a few. Lots of sharp turns, but nothing that should concern you. I would bet you'd have quite a bit of brake use as you don't have a diesel.
__________________
2019 Forester 3011 DS
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE (sold)
2015 Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 6.4 L Hemi 4.10 gearing

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,051
sugerray40 since you are in that area how far has corridor h/ us48 been completed. sailor sam needs to know that US 48 is dual lane divided hwy. This is very good road once he gets to it. He then should follow Rte 259 at Baker to I-81. Take Rte 259 to connect to I-81 and do not take the other Rte into Strasburg it is terrible. Don't remember that Rte number.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
sugerray40 since you are in that area how far has corridor h/ us48 been completed. sailor sam needs to know that US 48 is dual lane divided hwy. This is very good road once he gets to it. He then should follow Rte 259 at Baker to I-81. Take Rte 259 to connect to I-81 and do not take the other Rte into Strasburg it is terrible. Don't remember that Rte number.
Hasn't been completed past Parsons yet. Just got a bunch of money to get to working on it, but it'll be a while. 33 is a 2 lane road once you leave Elkins. I like 33 going east as there are less mountains and turns when compared to 250. 48 is only 2 lane until you get past Davis.
__________________
2019 Forester 3011 DS
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE (sold)
2015 Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 6.4 L Hemi 4.10 gearing

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,051
Just looked it up the other Rte is 55 at wardensville wva to Strasburg. Not a good road for an RV very steep,sharp turns and a lot of truck traffic to get hung up behind. Route 259 will bring you out at Broadway va.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
Where do you live? I'm in Buckhannon. We never took this trip with the TT, but have in the truck. I think 33 has less hills, but no matter how you go there are quite a few. Lots of sharp turns, but nothing that should concern you. I would bet you'd have quite a bit of brake use as you don't have a diesel.

I live in SE Michigan, between Detroit and Ann Arbor. On this trip, I'm actually heading to Williamsburg VA for the rally there. On the way in, I was thinking about staying at the Riffle Run Campground in Burnsville. So from Burnsville, I'd be taking I-79 north to US 48 (or is it 119/33? Google calls it 48, but WV state map says it's 33!) and connecting to US 33 to I-81. I-81 to I-64, I-295 around Richmond back onto I-64 which will take us to just outside the American Heritage RV park.


Actual nose to bumper length is 29' for my trailer, so on the long side of short.
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 37
My question is are you wanting to do some exploring of WV or just get to Richmond? I have relatives in Clinton Michigan and Richmond Va. I live in Charleston WV. I am familiar with the area you are asking about. There are easier ways to get to Richmond with a trailer.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,267
For this trip, I'm interested in an easy route but am planning on stopping for 2-3 days around this area to explore. I try to vary routes to see different areas on each trip. Also I geocache as a hobby and would be driving around for that.

I've been playing with route options and am currently thinking of staying for two nights near Burnsville and then finding a spot east of the mountains for one. Though the first few spots I've looked at east of the mountains seem to be full.
Happy to hear any recommendations on routes. Especially if US 33 will be a challenge...
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #16
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
 
awellis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
On this trip, I'm actually heading to Williamsburg VA for the rally there. ... I'd be taking I-79 north to US 48 (or is it 119/33 … and connecting to US 33 to I-81. I-81 to I-64, I-295 around Richmond back onto I-64 which will take us to just outside the American Heritage RV park.
Ahoy Sam, I live in Richmond and tow my TT to West-by-Gawd Virginia a lot. That's a good, direct route. I've used it myself.
__________________
Wright and Penny
(with Fitz and Lizzie, the camping kitties)
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
For this trip, I'm interested in an easy route but am planning on stopping for 2-3 days around this area to explore. I try to vary routes to see different areas on each trip. Also I geocache as a hobby and would be driving around for that.

I've been playing with route options and am currently thinking of staying for two nights near Burnsville and then finding a spot east of the mountains for one. Though the first few spots I've looked at east of the mountains seem to be full.
Happy to hear any recommendations on routes. Especially if US 33 will be a challenge...
The route does have several inclines, all of WV does, you should have no problems. One caution, when you get to Elkins do NOT take Rt 33. Follow the 4 lane road to the end. It will take you to the town of Parsons. It will be 2 lane for a short section where you will get back on the 4 lane (rt 48) outside of Davis. I recommend that you get fuel in Elkins or Parsons. The road from Davis is fairly new and not many places to get fuel. Have fun and enjoy stay in WV.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.