Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Us and the 12 year old Grandson- where to stay in SE

We want to plan a trip with our 12 year old grandson in June for 1-2 weeks. Live in Florida and really am open to any state on the southeast and coast. He loves the outdoors, fishing and is an active boy. Open to state parks, private parks, etc. Want hook ups or at least water and electric although sewer would be nice. Any suggestions on a great park or two we can stay at? We can also tour a few days at a time. Can you tell I am open! I just want him to have a great time with the grandparents.

I am planning a trip next June to Grand Canyon with him.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

A few years ago we took our grandkids on a similar trip. Started at Florida Caverns SP, then St George Island SP, and finally Suwannee River SP. Three different locations and things to do. They had a great time. I think St George Island may have been damaged by the recent hurricane.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
...far N Georgia!

You don't even have the leave your state - there are already great options there:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ver-state-park
Blackwater state park - in the pan handle.... great RV sites, and the river is a 'swimming' river, even swim across and climb the dunes/mounds... or kyak, or fish.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...and-state-park
Little Talbot Island state park - just north of Jacksonville... great rv sites under the 'mossy oaks' and within FEET of the inland tidal waters - just right to catch blue crabs for supper and even watch the fiddler crabs do their 'dance' in the evenings.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

What does he like, you could come up to Virginia, go to the caverns, go to Virginia beach, Williamsburg Colonial, James town and fishing on Kerr lake behind your site, COE CG, Rudds Creek, and Longwood, by Clarksville. I hope you guys have a great time, your lucky

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #5

i looked at the Talbot Park site and it said 30 ft. ours is 31 of course. Were the sites tight and short? Do you think it would be an issue?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Ft Pickens COE park, near Pensacola is nice if he wants to play on the beach.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #7

Outer banks. I had a blast body surfing for hours when I was that age. Lots of other things to do as well.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinful View Post
i looked at the Talbot Park site and it said 30 ft. ours is 31 of course. Were the sites tight and short? Do you think it would be an issue?
I don't think a foot would make any difference at all , that could be the size of the pad, just let it hang over in the rear, as long as your not sticking out in the road...i really never pay attention to that stuff, when I check in I always say 30' but I'm 32'

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

So I am now 30 ft as well.....lol
Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Retired Member

Lake West Point has several COE parks, water and elec but dump as you leave. FDR state park is older and more rustic but good camping. We like River Vista Mountain RV in N Ga. Full hook ups, pool, playground, hiking and waterfalls in area.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Ft Pickens COE park, near Pensacola is nice if he wants to play on the beach.
Pensacola will also give you access to the Naval Aviation Museum, and about 50 miles away - a day trip - is the USS Alabama battleship and USS Drum submarine, both offering tours.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

What about Crater of Diamonds SP in Arkansas? Its not really a 1 week visit kind of place, but its unique!
Old 03-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #13

Our grandkids, although younger than yours, loved Nashville Shores. It is a water park, zip line course that is on a lake for fishing and boating. Rentals are available. It's right outside of Nashville so many other activities there. Good Luck making great memories!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #14

SE camping

Myrtle Beach has so much to do! Charleston is an excellent choice.
more camp grounds in MB.
Jeff
jjfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #15

Pensacola , FL has the Naval Air museum and is convenient to the beaches. If you have your National Park pass, pack a lunch and go to Gulf Shores National Seashore on Perdido Key. It is an easy day trip to tour the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL.

The campground in Hanna Park in Mayport FL (Jacksonville) is ~100 yards from the beach. The sites are shady.

River's End campground on Tybee Island is an easy walk to the beach. There is also a fort to explore on the island. It is a ~20 minute ride into Savannah.

If you want to try something different, stay in Cave City, KY and visit Mammoth Cave NP.

Last but not least is Smoky Mountain NP.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #16

Florida

Don't know where in the state you live but may I suggest Fort DeSoto Park in Pinellas County...right in the St. Pete area and on the Gulf. Fishing, swimming at a beautiful beach (bring the pup...there's a dog beach as well!), kayaking, hiking, sailing and tour boats to Egmont Key, lots of history and a thriving city close by when you want to take a break. Really nice campground to boot.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #17

There are so many things to do in the southeast. Do you know what his interests are besides fishing. What are his interest, aviation, space, science, history, different cultures, adventure ? At 12 I'm sure he has a list of things he likes besides video games. Google his prefences in different states.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
...far N Georgia!

as for the concern about whether a '30ft' site is going to fine for a '31ft' rig, it's really not a big deal - but the question really should revolve around WHO makes these 'measurement' determination, and what they might have been 'smoking' when they DID!

...well, not to be mean, of course, but the reality is that in all of our almost 5 years of traveling this country, and over 100,000 miles with our fifth-wheel, gasser, and now diesel pusher, there seems to be no real 'rhyme or reason' as to how these site 'lengths' are determined, or otherwise someone had a broken tape measure! We have checked into many a campground and rv park, including state and national parks, and local and regional parks, and it really amounts to about the same anywhere you go - someone was put in 'charge' of the site length measurements, but apparently no one who actually 'camps' or 'rvs' was involved.
We can also refer to the factories, themselves, as they also apparently don't really 'use' the actual length in their model names/numbers... sometimes a Palazzo 33.3 'might' refer to it's length, but then again, sometimes it's simply a model 'number', almost pulled out of a hat. The factory will say that it's a 25' unit, but does that include the length of the hitch? or the rear bumper? or the front 'cap'? or the rear ladder? and so....

Campground or rv park site measurements are not to be believed. Period.
If you want to 'rely' on that, then it's probably a given that if your rig, including your tow vehicle, is within that measurement - SURE, you'll easily fit... believe me, if anything, they don't overestimate the length, they only UNDERESTIMATE it.
Meaning... we've found that if a typical campground says that the site is limited to 30' campers, what they are really referring to is a 30' trailer, AND a typical 15' tow vehicle, and probably several feet front and back to spare.
What the don't typically do, though, is make any assumption that you can easily use the 'overhang' at the rear of the site, such as backing your trailer in until the trailer wheels touch the 'curb', or otherwise end of the concrete slab, or end of the gravel, etc.... as long as there is not a tree or blockage, otherwise.

We see that most any park severely underestimates the true 'usable' length of the rv site, and you will normally find that regardless of whether they say it's a 30' site, it would probably fit a 45' rig, and have room to spare for their toad and even bike rack on back.

If I reserve a site online, I use my overall length, with toad...such as 50'. If their system shows little or no sites for that length, I will change it to 40' and see what additional sites might pop up... generally you don't have to try too long to get the idea. Once we arrive, we find that the 'limited to 30' site was actually 65' deep!
Could there be exceptions? maybe... but I'll bet that most 'limits' to site lengths have very rarely effected anyone. What if it does? well, I can also park my toad somewhere else, or I can ask the office if I can move to another site I've already seen as vacant that would fit me better... it's usually not a biggy, and has hardly, if ever, happened.

Everyone loves a lengthy, long, and spacious site... and most of the time you'll find that you'll have plenty of room, even in the site that claims that you are almost over it's 'max' length. On a rare occasion you may find your rig barely fits into the site, without your tow vehicle poking out into the street, but as long as you fit, you fit.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #19

Try Virginia

Last year we took my granddaughter on a one week trip to Virginia and were pleased with the variety of places to visit. We stayed in a KOA near the Safari Park (Natural Bridge,VA) and used that as a base.

We took her to Luray Caverns, the Safari Park, and horseback riding in that area. On the way east, there are a number of President's homes (Monticello, Mount Vernon) and the coastal area was loaded with things to do. Boat rides, fishing, Williamsburg and Jamestown (a restored 1600 village).

I can't remember where we stayed as we went east but I'm sure there are a lot of great places.

It was a huge hit.
Mwaxham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #20

Book soon

Book soon they fill up fast for summer.
KOA in the Outer Banks is fun.
https://koa.com/campgrounds/cape-hatteras/
Only here once - do it baby!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote