Old 07-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Va Mountainous Campgrounds

We are looking at going somewhere in Va in the general vicinity of Staunton for a few days. My kids would like to have a stream/creek to play/fish in. Any opinions out there of any good destinations?
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post
We are looking at going somewhere in Va in the general vicinity of Staunton for a few days. My kids would like to have a stream/creek to play/fish in. Any opinions out there of any good destinations?
The one that comes to mind right off is the Natural Chimneys Regional Park. It's right on the North River. The catch is that the river literally goes underground in the summer, and there's about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk to the swimming hole by the bridge on Natural Chimneys Road.

They've got a very nice swimming pool adjacent to the campground, but the price isn't included with the camping fees.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply moonrider. That place looks pretty cool.
We live in eastern NC and chose that area due to the longevity of the drive. With that being said, there is nothing is drawing us to Staunton, just knew that was within our range.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Lets go camping!

Outlanders river camp is just north of staunton. its a nice campground.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #5

My suggestion would be Misty Mountain Camp Resort. My wife and I went there a few months ago and enjoyed the stay very much.
One attractive aspect if the CG is it proximity to craft beer breweries and wineries.
Misty Mountain Camp Resort

56 Misty Mountain Rd, Greenwood, VA 22943
(540) 456-6409

https://g.co/kgs/npRWoV

Tom
tom39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #6

Walnut Hills is a great place. They have a good sized pond and very clean restrooms.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply moonrider. That place looks pretty cool.
We live in eastern NC and chose that area due to the longevity of the drive. With that being said, there is nothing is drawing us to Staunton, just knew that was within our range.
Okay, now I've got a better idea of your range. . .

Thing to remember: Most VA state parks reserve half their campsites for "first come, first serve" AKA "walk up." If you travel during the week you usually have a pretty good selection. Ditto for CoA (Army Corps of Engineers) campgrounds. North Bend Campground on John H. Kerr Reservoir is one of my favorites, since a lot of the campsites are right on the water.

Douthat State Park near Hot Springs, VA is another with high marks and has an excellent beach area. I'd ordinarily recommend you "take the waters" and go for a dip in the Jefferson Pools (natural Warm Springs used as a spa since colonial days) near there, but the pools are currently closed for renovation, and not due to re-open until next summer.

If you want to go farther down the Valley than Staunton. There's a slew of campsites along the North and South Forks of the Shenandoah River, especially of you're willing to boondock. If boondocking is your thing, explore the North River Gorge, a little farther west of Natural Chimneys.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Jellystone park campground in Natural Bridge Station. It Borders the james river where you can swim, fish, or even go tubing, nice pool, and tons of things to do in the area
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #9

2X on Douthat State Park. Beautiful area good for fishing, boating, swimming, hiking.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #10

Thanks all for your input. We decided to try Shenandoah Valley Campground in Stuarts Draft due to its amenities for the kids and such a short stay. They advertise plenty to keep them busy for a couple of days. Most of the negative feedback we could find was the tight campsights. I will report back after our stay.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks all for your input. We decided to try Shenandoah Valley Campground in Stuarts Draft due to its amenities for the kids and such a short stay. They advertise plenty to keep them busy for a couple of days. Most of the negative feedback we could find was the tight campsights. I will report back after our stay.
Looks like some of their neighbors are a little unhappy with the new owners. I'd love to hear what you thought of the place.

https://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvi...XyQaygg9xUHCds
Old 08-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #12

All of the above sound good and I have been to a few of these as well. Endless Caverns is a good place as well. Cheap and quite.

Of course, I'd rather be camping
RolnThndrCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
Looks like some of their neighbors are a little unhappy with the new owners. I'd love to hear what you thought of the place.

https://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvi...XyQaygg9xUHCds

I believe that this is a different campground than the one we stayed in. The one we stayed in was Shenandoah Valley Campground, not Shenandoah Acres.

However....SV also had ďrental rvísĒ that gave me the same kind of feeling about maybe some of the employees may use them as permanent housing. They just gave the campground a dirty feel to me while most of the amenities were not unreasonably dirty, pool, etc.

We arrived on Saturday eve around 5 and were just a bit overwhelmed with all the people. Parking was OK as most of the spots are pull through, however they were snug but not overly. The fellow campers were all friendly and happy, unlike a few of the employees my wife encountered. I think a smile would have helped a lot

At the end of the day, my boys had a big time fishing in the river, riding their bikes and floating down the river on tubes which made the whole trip a success.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #14

I would being all of you guys a diservice without acknowledging the little gem we found on Friday night though.

We stayed in Twin Lakes state park near Farmville, Va and absolutely loved it. If it wasnt for having already paid for some of the other reservation, we would have stayed put.

Small park with around 35ish spots but have an awesome lake set up with lifeguards, kids water floats, and rental boats and boards. There are several hiking trails on premises along with another lake that appears to be better fishing than the swimming lake. Also have a store with food and ice cream at the swimming hole.

Bath houses were the cleanest i have ever seen and the host was very pleasant! This place was great and we will definitely be back.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #15

Natural Bridge KOA is very nice. Don't know about fishing but there's a pool and the Safari Park (sic?) is just a couple of minutes away. Drive thru and feed the deer, llamas, etc. Hold onto the feed cup, they'll grab it. And, of course, Natural Bridge is there as well. Road still runs over it, it's that strong.

VMI and Washington and Lee colleges are near by.

-- Chuck
Old 08-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
Voyager

Quote:
We stayed in Twin Lakes state park near Farmville, Va and absolutely loved it. If it wasnt for having already paid for some of the other reservation, we would have stayed put.
Thanks for the tip.

3X on Douthat State Park. Incredible mountain bike trails.

Next we want to try Smith Mountain Lake SP.
'18 Rockwood 2703WS
Bob.n.Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #17

Farmville is nowhere near any mountains. Lots of (overpriced) furniture stores, though. Boring for kids any many husbands.

-- Chuck
Old 08-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #18

The cat is out of the bag Chuck!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Walnut Hills is a great place. They have a good sized pond and very clean restrooms.
Walnut Hills is nice.

Shenandoah Acres is a few miles down the road.

Shenandoah Valley Campground is in Verona Exit 227. They have the middle river that runs behind the campground. Spent 5 nights there 2 weeks ago and tubed down the river 10 times and there were people fishing the whole time in the river.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
Jellystone park campground in Natural Bridge Station. It Borders the james river where you can swim, fish, or even go tubing, nice pool, and tons of things to do in the area
That Jellystone is nice. We're about 10 minutes from there. The only problem with all Yogi Bear Jellystones is the expense. It's nearly $90 a night to stay on a summer weekend. That and they now charge $10 if you want to reserve a specific site.

Don't get me wrong. If you've never stayed at a Jellystone there is no lack of activities. If you have kids it's a good one.

How far are you from Bethpage? That may be a better option for you guys.

Tags
campground, mount, mpg