Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Va, NC, SC, PA, campgrounds

We are planning a month long trip for this Sept. We will be leaving central NJ and heading south. We would love to plan a route thru VA,NC.SC etc and returning to NJ. We love to kayak, so lake campgrounds are a big plus. We also
hike and bike. We're thinking maybe 4 stops for about 6 nights each. I know there are many sites on the "net", but I also respect the opinions of the veterans in the Forest River family.
Thanks
Hankyk

2019 Rockwood 2606WS
hankyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #2

If you are interested in staying at a State park, one of the favorites of my wife and I is Westmoreland State Park which is located just a few miles outside of Montross, Virginia.

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/westmoreland

Hope it helps,
Tom
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
If you are interested in staying at a State park, one of the favorites of my wife and I is Westmoreland State Park which is located just a few miles outside of Montross, Virginia.

Hope it helps,
Tom
x2 on Westmoreland State Park. Great kayaking on the Potomac River. Also consider Lake Anna State Park - lots of coves / inlets to explore by kayak, and a bit closer to I-95. Both have a nice network of hiking trails. You will be happy campers and kayakers at either Westmoreland or Lake Anna State Park.

PM me if you end up in this area. I can point you to other put-in points for kayaking. Are you roadies or mountain bikers? We have good opportunities for both. (I'm more familiar with road cycling in the area.)

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

exactly what I was looking for ....Thanks
hankyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Not sure about kayak access but First Landing SP and Fort Story are both on the Atlantic just south of Virginia Beach. Interesting locale as both campgrounds are very rural even though they're nestled inside the most populated city in Virginia. Fort Story is probably DOD only, I never checked as I'm retired Army. First Landing however is very nice and completely public. Most if not all sites lack sewers but we had no problems on a "5-day weekend" last fall.

-- Chuck
Old 06-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

Check out Buck Hall USFS CG just north of Charleston. It's right on the Intercostal Waterway and only 14 sites! It is one of our favorites.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

If traveling near Front Royal, Va the Andy Guest state park is very nice. Lots of hiking and kayaking around close. Also zip lining if interested...It’s on the Shenandoah river. No sewer hook ups but has a dump station. Electric (50 amp and 30 amp) and water....
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post

Hope it helps,
Tom
Does the park have a dump station? I don't see one on the map. TIA
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21wolfpupfq View Post
Does the park have a dump station? I don't see one on the map. TIA
It is on the road going out of the park. Just through the trees from the B campground loop.

In the picture, the arrow identifies the dump station and the letters the campground loops.

Hope it helps,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westmorland CG.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	232646  
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #10

Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield, Virginia is great, as well. Not far from I-95.
Rover Podder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #11

I will give you some ideas on the OTHER side of Virginia. These are all Virginia state parks.

Hungry Mother Park has a lake, but it's not really one of my favorites. Natural Tunnel SP is our favorite. It is about .5 from the Clinch River and you can paddle all the way to Knoxville, TN if you have enough time.

In Tennessee, which has the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) and maintain approximately 100 lakes, there is Cove Lake SP, Douglas Lake Tailwater and DL Headwater campgrounds. Cherokee Lake SP, etc.

In Maryland, take a look at Point Lookout SP, which is on the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #12

If you are looking for some nice kayaking, check out Janes Island State Park in Maryland. Its on the Eastern Shore close to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, so it could be an easy spot into or out of VA.

There are something like 30 miles of water trails there that run through marshland and out into the bay. There is a nice little beach that you get to by boat only. The campground has a little channel that runs right by the sites. You can fish or crab 50' from your site.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands...nesisland.aspx

https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands...er-Trails.aspx

Some sites have electric.

Point Lookout State Park down in Southern Maryland has quite a bit of nice kayaking both at the park and in the local area. If you do Point Lookout and are there for a few days, check out Macintosh Run kayaking trail in Leonardtown.

Ever heard of the Ghost Fleet of the Potomac at Mallows Bay? Its a group of sunken wooden WWI ships that were scuttled in the river after the war was over. Pretty cool paddle.Visibility in the summer is not so great, but September should be better. Smallwood State Park is nearby and is a nice little park.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/c...ine-sanctuary/

I know these were all answers for Maryland, which you did not specify, but if you're in New Jersey then these are good places to visit whether you do it on this trip or just a weekend.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #13

W. Kerr Scott in NC is a Army Corps of Engineers that has 3 different campgrounds, at least one is next to the lake.

https://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Locat.../W-Kerr-Scott/
B92F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankyk View Post
We are planning a month long trip for this Sept. We will be leaving central NJ and heading south. We would love to plan a route thru VA,NC.SC etc and returning to NJ. We love to kayak, so lake campgrounds are a big plus. We also
hike and bike. We're thinking maybe 4 stops for about 6 nights each. I know there are many sites on the "net", but I also respect the opinions of the veterans in the Forest River family.
Thanks
Hankyk

2019 Rockwood 2606WS
Not sure if you've gone or the trip is on going. We've recently stayed at Westmoreland,First Landing state parks in VA, Delaware Seashore DE, Assategue state parki MD, Oregon Inlet & Camp Hatteras in OBX. Pretty much liked them all.
Oh, If anyone is at/or going to Westmoreland & First Landing and could get a camp sticker and be able to buy/send one to me(I'll venmo for the cost/postage), it would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 09-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #15

The best camping I recommend for North Carolina is either Camp Hatteras or Cape Hatteras KOA, both of which are in the middle of the Outer Banks National Seashore. They're side by side campgrounds and you cant go wrong with either one. Both offer you ocean side camping, but Camp Hatteras also offers sound side camping too. The sound side is where you'll want for kayaking, which is probably the best you'll find on the East Coast. The sunsets in the evening on the sound side are incredible too. Lots to do and see there and great restaurants.

All the Camp Hatteras sites offer up to 50 amp, water, sewer and cable hookups. Cape Hatteras KOA offers some sites with 50 amp, but are predominantly 30 amp, but also include water, sewer and cable hookups.

You need to book reservations as soon as possible as they're busier than ever before with Covid-19 and huge numbers of new RV'ers visiting the area.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #16

Be mindful of the weather as roads can be flooded/closed (dunes washed out) after the Inlet Bridge. Good source is https://www.facebook.com/NCDOTNC12

Tags
campground, mpg