Old 12-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Washington DC closest campgrounds?

So I am in the middle of planning a trip from our home in Charlotte NC to Harpers Ferry WV. We will be staying at the HF KOA for roughly 2 days.

Then we want to go from there to Washington DC to check out the Smithsonian museums.

Problem lies with finding a good campground around the DC area. I do prefer KOA campgrounds but their Millersville MD & Fredericksburg VA campgrounds which are listed as "washington dc area" are both more then an hour away, and I know you can add some decent time in there for traffic.

Any suggestions from experience? I don't have to stay ontop of DC, but 20-30 minute drive with two cranky kids would be ok. Maybe a little further if it gets us a nicer place.

Thanks

Lee
Lee Majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

The closest option is Cherry Hill in Silver Spring. It has a bus stop right outside that will take you to the metro train station.

My preference is Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville, VA. You have to drive to a metro stop, but then can take a train in.

Here are other ideas:
https://learntorv.com/washington-dc-...ound-round-up/
Old 12-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

We stayed at Bull Run Regional park. It was a nice campground and not far at all to get to the train station in Fairfax. I HIGHLY recommend using the Trains to get into and around DC. No parking problems, and they have stations right at the Mall so there is not too much walking needed. They also have stations at Arlington and out near the national Zoo if you are wanting to go to them. Very convenient IMO. Also, if want to see the really good aircraft be sure to go the Udvar Hazy in VA, it has a much larger building and more aircraft than the one down on the Mall.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #4

I second the motion for Cherry Hill. Park is as good, or better, than a KOA Holiday. When you check in, have them explain when and how to use the bus & metro to get to the Mall. It's really easy and you can buy your first day's fare right at the park. It is super convenient.

The National Mall and the Smithsonians are national treasures.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #5

Cherry hill

If you have a wife and kids with you, Cherry Hill is an excellent choice. They have great swimming pools, playgrounds and other activities. For your wife, great laundry facilities, showers and stores. They even have a fun shuttle to get you around after you tire yourself out walking the capital sights.

The bus will take you to the university of Maryland train station, and that train will drop you at the National Archives, a block from the capital mall, FBI headquarters, the DOJ, Ford theater and many other sights.

When you get back in the evening, you will really appreciate the amenities at Cherry Hill.

Pro Tip: set up a capital hill tour with you congressman.

Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
For your wife, great laundry facilities
Wow! You're living dangerously.

A buddy and I worked in a stamping plant that made housewares. They had a rah-rah meeting where the President gave a big speech and they handed out some product as prizes. My friend won an ironing board. He told the President, "I can't accept that, sir. Today is my wedding anniversary and if I bring that home it will still be sticking out my rear end when I come to work tomorrow morning."

True story.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Washington DC Park

We spent two weeks at Cherry Hills and it is a great park. We had out two grandsons and older children with us and they enjoyed the park. There is a shuttle to the RTD station but it is also a short drive fro from the park. Easy access to freeways to get to other sights in the area.

Mt Vernon has a great interactive hall. The naval academy is also a great place to visit. Check out to see if the national parks offer the walk down tour of Washington monument.

Just a few suggestions.
jshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Hi, Lee and welcome to the forum. I also recommend Cherry Hill. We stayed there last spring and it was very good. It's just off the beltway, easy to get to (except for the beltway traffic).
Russ
Old 12-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #9

Pohick Bay Regional Park in Fairfax County is also a good spot. It's 11 miles to the Springfield Metro stop and 22 miles from D.C. We camped there years ago. I'm not sure of the web site, I think it's novaparks.com or you can google Pohick bay campground.
RoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #10

Smile Washington DC

Just was at Cherry Hill in Sept. Loved it! Got to use the tours right from the office & the bus & trains. We don't have a toad so it was super convenient. We also have two dogs & they provide dog walking services twice a day if you are going to be gone for a long time which we used one of our days there. They were great & was very reasonable. Also a dog park & trails to keep them happy.
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #11

Cherry Hill and take public transportation to DC .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

My crazy daughter #2 got me a 5 day stay at Cherry Hill for The annual father-daughter camp out. Does anyone here know if golf carts are allowed in the park? Jay.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #13

Cool

I used a scooter the whole time we were there because my knee hurt & my dogs need exercise, know one said anything to me. I can't remember if I saw Golf carts though.
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #14

We stayed at Cherry Hill this summer and it was so convenient to DC. They are geared up to their visitors going into DC so they will be very attentive to making your visit memorable. We elected to drive to the metro station near the University of Maryland less than 15 minutes away to avoid waiting for the bus. It is an easy drive and no cost to park so you come and go at when you want.

They have a 30 minute presentation at the park on how to get around DC two times a day so I suggest you attend one, get a metro pass at the park that is loaded for at least one round trip and reload it based on the number of days you want to stay, folks at the metro station will assist you on how to do that.

I also suggest that you contact your senator or representative's office and get a tour of the Capital or White House thru them, it is a really great experience, you'll be with a small group and feel like a VIP.

You will feel much better about this country after visiting DC, it is truly a great place where every one of those magnificent buildings belong to you. The displays in the Smithsonian museums will show that this country has endured the same issues we are going thru today many times before and will be okay.

Have fun and safe travels ... Merry Christmas to all and have a safe and Happy New Years.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #15

Cherry Hill is great and very helpful. We booked a couple tours there and used the bus to the train. It is a class operation and they also have a very good restaurant. Use DCs hop on hop off ity transportation which is free. There are also pay for hop onto off services.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #16

We stayed at the Bull Run park after the Williamsburg rally. Had a full hook site. Layout gives everyone a very private site - your picnic table won't be on top of your neighbors sewer hook up. I would stay there again on a future trip. They were setting up for their Christmas light show. Interestingly, they were using several of the same displays that are used near where I live...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #17
...far N Georgia!

skip the 'traditional' rv parks and try GREENBELT Park, a National Park, with camping...

https://www.nps.gov/gree/index.htm $20 nite

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #18

Any special advice to visit the Air & Space museum ?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #19

Unfortunately when we were at the Air and Space Museum there was tons of school kids so we didn't see everything but it what we saw was neat. The one museum DW suggested was the Holocaust Museum and it was unbelievable. It is a museum everyone should see. DC was great and we need to return because there is so much to see and the week we were hardly covered it. Don't miss Arlington. Safe travels and Merry Christmas to all.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Any special advice to visit the Air & Space museum ?

The Air and space on the mall is a couple of hours to go through and has some pretty cool stuff. The Udvar Hazy out by the airport is FABULOUS. It has an SR-71, one of the space shuttles, the Enola Gay and dozens upon dozens of other aircraft all inside a HUGE building. It is not to be missed. Plan a full day out there.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg, washington