Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

We made it to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach

I had posted before that our first ever trip with our new Flagstaff 8528 IKWS was to be Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. Well, we're here! It was an uneventful trip down from Syracuse NY. The roads were pretty good. I81 and I95 were the major highways used.
Our china bomb trail express tires did not explode. The Tire Traker tpms worked well and gave us some measure of security. We kept our speed to 65mph or less. The tires all have manufacture dates of 2014.
I installed a Progressive EMS-HW30C before we left and it's good insurance even if Ocean lakes has good power.
But the most satisfying aspect of the trip was the performance of the Furrion camera system i installed. Our 5er came with the preinstalled bracket on the rear as many new rvs do. I had read all the negative comments about the original furrion cameras and decide to wait until I could afford something better. Then while surfing the internet I came upon Furrion's new camera the FOS48TA-BL. Apparently it's much upgraded from the original with an antenna on the monitor and new cpu and electronics and touted better range.
I found one on ebay for $399 delivered. Something told me to buy it and I did. It installed and paired easily!! It worked flawlessly through the whole trip! It lost signal while travelling one time for only a few seconds. I can say it was a pleasant surprise how well it performed. I can recommend it with no reservation.
We also had traded our 5.0L F150 TV for a 6.7L F250 and it is an incredible workhorse. It's stability was incredible it didn't even breathe hard even in the PA mountains. We averaged 12.3 mpg (calculated myself, not the truck's meter). Weight police aside the F150 did an admirable job hauling this camper and was not scary at all. the 5.0L engine might have been it's weak point in the mountains on long steep grades. I towed the 5er home from the dealer 200 miles and it was an easy tow. My main reasons for the trade were future RV upgrade and I got a very good deal.
Another nice surprise was the B&W Patriot hitch paired the the Revolution.
All I can say is WOW. No bangs, booms or clanks. It hooks up with a satisfying click and gives nothing short of perfect performance and confidence.
Ocean Lakes is a very nice park if you're into that type camping. we prefer seclusion and forests. we came down here with my younger brother who comes here very often. We can now say we've been here, done that.
Likely won't ever return. It's been pleasant so far but not our cup of tea.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #2

Glad everything went well, it is definitely a busy place.
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

China bombs are not going to explode on everyone every time the rubber meets the road. It's kinda like playing Russian roulette tho. Sooner or later the chamber's going to be loaded. I imagine weather wise it was gorgeous compared to the Syracuse area. There's prolly snow mounds still on the sides of driveways. If you've never been there, the Outer Banks of NC down on the Hatteras Nat'l Seashore end of rte 12 is more secluded, peaceful and gorgeous although still a lil' chilly now for the next several weeks. That's where our family goes to unwind.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

We had a similar trip but from central Ohio a few summers back. We also upgraded from a F150 to a F350 diesel and the Ocean Lakes was our first long trip with new TV. We also enjoy the peace and quiet but we did get into the nightly golf cart parades with the fireworks. Had good neighbors that gave us good advise on where to eat and visit. Did you drive straight thru from NY or did you stay halfway? If so, where did you stay?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

Enjoy! We stayed for a week last year with our kids. We loved being so close to the beach and they had a blast with all of the amenities. Not our cup of tea, either, but it was a trip to remember!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

We left home friday eve at 5:00. we drove until 1:30am and stayed in a WalMart. (right next to a nit wit in a very high end MH that ran his generator all night) Got to Ocean Lakes at about 2:00 saturday. Was a comfortable trip overall.
I know the tires are a gamble but being new and very recent manufacture I took the chance. Before we do any long trips again I'll switch to better tires.
We already had an 80 degree day in Syracuse and all the snow is gone.
Ughhhh now an obviously entitled couple moved on the site next to us and they are loud talkers and their dog is yapping constantly.......gonna be a long week LOL

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

We stayed there The end of March. Get to the beach and check out the Quarter Deck Bar next door. We thought it was nice, but that is a lot of campers. Have Fun!
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

south of Myrtle Beach

While you are there, if you have not already done so, explore to the south. Check out Huntington Beach State Park and Brookgreen Gardens, across the road from the park. Good places to get a bite to eat in Murrells Inlet, nearby. And, take a look see at Myrtle Beach State Park...nice pier into the ocean.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

Terry, We bought the same exact camera by Furrion. My husband installed it in our pre-mounted/wired Furrion Mount it paired right up and took less than 5 minutes to install. We drove 2 hrs. each way to Lancaster, Pa. this past weekend and it never lost the signal. We also bought it on Ebay for $399.00. Furrion sells it for $499.00. Furrion said people were using the older model as an observation camera & backup camera and it was only meant to be used as a backup camera - that is why it would freeze up and also lose it's signal. I can't say enough good things about this camera. We love it!
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #10

Thanks for the info on the camera, we just bought it from the Dealer and it was $499 but we got a 10% discount, its the wireless one. We did Huntington Beach State Park a couple of years ago in April with our camping friends. The wife and I biked across the St. to the Gardens, FABULOUS!!! This year our friends were just at Myrtle Beach State Park and they loved it - but we snowbird in Florida, MB would not be warm enough Jan., Feb., or March - April, Wonderful!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #11

Nikita, We were hesitant to buy it from Ebay because we couldn't return it but I saw a few reviews on that model camera and decided to take the chance. It saved us $100.00. We're just glad it works so well.
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Ocean Lakes virtual tour
catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #13

We loved to go to Ocean Lakes. The concrete pads are great, but the narrow roads are a nightmare. However, we found out about a new RV park in Holden Beach, about 35 miles north of North Myrtle Beach - Ocean Breeze RV Park and Family Campground. The sites are 40 ft wide and 70 ft long with full hookups. No concrete pads, but the sites are good and level. I feel a lot more secure trying to maneuver my 41 ft XLR ON THE WIDE streets and pull through sites. It also has a beautiful bath house with ceramic tile and a brand new pool. Plenty of good places to eat close by and even more in Shallote just 8 miles away. Price is half that of Ocean Lakes. U can stay an entire month for just a little more than OL charges for a week.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #14

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the Myrtle Beach area and other campground suggestions. We'll try to take in as much as possible.

We are really enjoying it here so far.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalkplumb View Post
We stayed there The end of March. Get to the beach and check out the Quarter Deck Bar next door. We thought it was nice, but that is a lot of campers. Have Fun!
We went there, too! We dropped the kids off at the arcade with their walkies, and took the golf cart we rented over there for a snack and drink. Mom and Dad time.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #16

We just came back from Ocean Lakes last week. Place is huge, we stayed on the lake. A very enjoyable park however I can't imagine what it's like on a holiday weekend or during the summer! Our first week was spent on Hilton Head Island. Only interesting thing that happened was something ate a duck and dragged it under our motor home, not fun waking up to that.
All the people were very nice there and our pups had a fun first time walking on the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote