Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #81

What was the worst camp ground you have ever stayed at

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Uh oh... I was looking to book a weekend there in November for a fly fishing trip with some buddies. Probably will be a lot less busy then so I may still camp there. They seem to have "river" sites and "creek" sites. Do you remember which site# you had?
Hopefully the river will have some more water when we are there. I do know that from a fishing perspective, the water is very low right now. Thanks for the post. Hopefully our experience is better. I've camped before just down the road at River Valley and was pleased with the camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

While I am not a fan of packed campgrounds, I wouldn't say Cheorkee KOA is even close to a worst campground ever. If it was so bad, how in the world do they pack it out at $85 a night?

Cherokee is packed in the summer. As it starts to get colder, the tourists go away and the campground turns into a ghost town. We camped there once in July a couple years ago. It was packed, and there were children running around.. As they should be. If you go in the summer, get a map of the sites and pick something further away from the office, pool, and trampoline. We had a river site, it was expensive, but if you were to stay in a crap hotel up there it would be $150 a night. The main gripe I had was there is a natural berm along the river to the point that when sitting down at your camp fire you can't see the river. I say save the money, get a pull thru site adjacent to the river sites. You aren't going to fish directly next to the campground anyways if you want to catch fish.

A buddy and I went again this past January to fish the river by the high school, and there were maybe 20 campers there. Great fishing! We also went quail hunting guided by the fly shop on the other end of town. You can even park across from the high school in the evenings and if you're lucky spot the elk heard they transplanted in the mountains a few years back. If you want some fishing tips, go to the fly shop. You can also look at the forum www.ngto.org. Search "Cherokee" on the NGTO site and you will get all of the info you could ever want. The best fishing up there is just after the high school on the way to KOA. Also remember that you need a tribal license to fish the reservation. They sell them at the campground office.

We will probably run up there once it gets cold as well to hit the river.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #82

Our worst Campground was in Western New Hampshire. I think the name was Woodmore Campground. It was mostly seasonal and it looked like a refugee camp for trailers. All the site were small with trash all over the place. Our camp site had discarded tires on it. Could not make a fire because the fire ring was 3 feet from our camper. I had to use 8 inches of blocks to try to get my camper level. We only stayed the night and left.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #83

The worst campground we have experienced was Bridge City Campground in Lethbridge Alberta 5 years ago. Unfriendly staff, they lost our reservation with deposit (we got reimbursed later), extremely expensive, entrance was blocked by abandoned vehicles took them an hour to find their owners, a Walmart parking lot would have had more space and privacy, 100' from a busy hi way. NEVER AGAIN, ever.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
Not at a campground but while camping. Robbed twice within an hour.
Hmmm, musta been to close to either detroit or chicago!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #85

Followup to my post #75.
I had my gun the 2nd time. I had nothing to give the 2nd robber. I had 4 kids and a lady asleep in the tent. Spent the rest of the night in a chair next to the fire. Out of there the next day.
Oh, this was an invitation only, special event. We where tent camping on the lawn of the Capital Building in Springfield Illinois.
It was a special event for me, never want it to happen again.
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #86

Thanks blackhat6mike and oldgold. Good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #87

SoHi Campground, Accord, NY 12404, pretty run down. There was trash on the site and it was almost impossible to get level. They have a modern bathroom, but I don't know what kind of people were staying there. One toilet seat was broken, one was out of order and one was absolutely filthy. Three out of three. Secondary bathrooms were so-so at best. Not a place I would go back to.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #88

Wheelers near baraboo wisconsin. It's more issues with the owner
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #89
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Maquoketa caves state park.
Rude hosts
You must be in your camper and quiet by 9pm
Very strict on every rules laid out for state campgrounds.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Maquoketa caves state park.
Rude hosts
You must be in your camper and quiet by 9pm
Very strict on every rules laid out for state campgrounds.
9pm

That would make me pick that time to break camp.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #91

Satterwhite Point @ Kerr Lake was the worst. The site was hard to find as there was no actual road to access it. The site was no where near level. Took every bit of leveling items we had + had to dig down a foot to bury the tongue and still want level. The water spigot was 95+ feet away.

There are other areas of Kerr on the list to try, but Satterwhite will never happen again.

Second worst trip was N. Myrtle Beach SP. Campsite was good. It was getting there that was a nightmare. First issue was me traveling in the right lane and noticing that cars paying me on the left were doing so on the shoulder. When we came to a left hand bend, I noticed my sewer house hanging out about 3 feet. 😮 I have a 7' stick of 1" PVC to assist with pulling the hoses out. If it wasn't for that, I would have lost 2 hoses. Later on, now is getting dark, we had a left turn coming up. I got in the "left turn lane" and suddenly it was gone. The lane just ended. And there was still a 1/4 mile to go before making the left. When we finally got on 17, it was 4 lanes wide. Traveling in the right lane, we see a sign, "right lane ends." Boy, does it! 100 ft passed the sign. Now 3 lanes, repeat; Traveling in the right lane, we see a sign, "right lane ends." Boy, does it! 100 ft passed the sign. 😡 When we got into the park, it's now completely dark with a heavy downpour. Signage sucks. We ended up driving on a Ranger only golf cart wide path. My poor wife had to get soaked guiding me backwards with a flashlight.

I know, I got off topic. Sorry!