Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

What's the best way to travel from northern IN to New York City?

Our 13 year old grandaughter was chosen from among students throughout
the world to sing at Carnagie Hall this coming Saturday night. We are so excited! She will be flying there tomorrow and we will be driving there for the weekend. We have never been to New York City. We will be coming from northern Indiana and will be staying in a hotel next to Grand Central Station. Can anyone give me some tips such as the best roads to take and any ideas on getting around New York would be great. We would like to spend some time driving to see some sights, such as the Statue of Liberty, while in the city instead of taking the subway. Would that be possible or is driving in the city very difficult? We really don't know what to expect.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #2

Been there and found the best way to get around is to Uber it. For site seeing use the open buses they have. Best is to park your vehicle and walk or use local transportation. If not you will not enjoy yourself. Traffic in the city is terrible and can make for a very bad day.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
Been there and found the best way to get around is to Uber it. For site seeing use the open buses they have. Best is to park your vehicle and walk or use local transportation. If not you will not enjoy yourself. Traffic in the city is terrible and can make for a very bad day.
X2^^^^ Not to mention trying to park.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Id say let your smart phone pick the route to NY and use taxi or uber for getting around the city.

BTW super cool she got invited to sing there !!!!

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #5

DO NOT DRIVE IN THE CITY. Park your car when you get there and get it when you leave. You will be much happier. Cabs are everywhere.
Ridpath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

Be prepared to pay $50-75 per day at your hotel...If they have parking. If they have a valet service, even better. Have them park it and don't pick it up until you are leaving the city. You will hear people say the traffic is terrible. That is an understatement. Really. If you have never driven here, you will have no concept of "terrible."

There are many things to see, sometimes within walking distance. The Subway is very easy to use. Uber works very well. Taxis abound!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #7

This might be a good time to forego the trailer AND the car. Take Amtrak from Chicago or South Bend and have a real adventure!

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

If my memory serves me right (been a long time) the taxi's WERE the traffic problem! lol I also remember a lot of people screaming about somebody who's last name was YOOO, horns honking, and very friendly, loving people waving, but only with one finger! Congratulations to your daughter and enjoy your trip. I will never go back, the nice people were a little too underwhelming for me.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

tolls

If driving, be prepared to pay many tolls, on the turnpikes/toll roads and every bridge or tunnel into the city, in addition to any daily parking.
You might find it easier and cheaper to fly.
Have a safe trip and enjoy. It will be a lifetime experience for all.
snufferoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #10

Take the train since you are staying near the station.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #11

Congrats to your granddaughter I agree with take the train. You could drive into PA on I-80 and catch the train in Altoona, Lewisburg or any other station. Parking at a local station will be free or minimal charge. Riding the train is a great way to see lots of the country. In the city, try all forms of public transportation! Look at it as an adventure. The subways are fascinating. People are helpful every where. Ask where to eat. Ask for their favorite neighborhood places to eat. Visit the Highline, as many museums as you can. Skip thru Central Park. Go to the cheap tickets booths ( Time's Square) pick up tickets for a show, any show! Uber is great. Put the app on your phone before you leave IL.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

All of the above are correct. As for how to get there, if you are near interstate 80 you can take it almost into the city. I've been on 80 many times and it's a nice drive until about an hour from the city.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

I worked in NYC for 21 years. If you decide to drive expect to pay lots for parking, do not drive in the bus lanes and if you do decide to park in the street make sure you read the signs or risk huge fines and/or being towed. If you get towed it can cost a min. of $275.00. Best to get an Uber or jump on the subway which is always a great experience.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #14

How Was Your Trip to NYC?

As a New Yorker for over 40 years, I'm sorry I'm too late to add to the advice. I sincerely hope you did not drive into NYC, and would love to find out what you did do and how it turned out. Hope you enjoyed your granddaughter's concert and got to see some sights.

Tags
travel