Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Where can't I drive my RV?

Planning a trip up the east coast from Orlando to DC, Philly, Niagara, Hershey, Gettysburg and Virginia coast. I usually make my own maps with AAA, but this is our first east coast trip, and AAA isn't much help letting me know where I can't travel with my RV (height restrictions, no propane, etc.). I ask because I've read a lot on this site about I-190 near Buffalo not being RV friendly (12ft height restrictions somewhere) and realized, it never occurred to me there are highways I can't travel on.
Anybody know a good online tool for figuring the proper route, so I don't find out the hard way?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Always Learning

No clue, but don't go through either tunnel on I-95 or I-895 in Baltimore. You have to go around I-695 (to the south over the Key Bridge is my preference).
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I might suggest that you purchase a GPS geared towards RV/Truck travel. Camping World has one (same as the Rand McNaley) that you enter RV characteristics such as RV height, weight, size of propane, etc. It's suppose to route you around areas you shouldn't go, but there are threads on this forum that sites errors. I've been using it this year and have been satisfied so far. I just don't put 100% confidence in it and always compare maps to the routes it selects.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Also a Rand McNally RV GPS app:

Rand McNally - RV GPS app
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We use a copy of "Exit Now". It shows low clearances on major roads via state. It shows what gas stations, restaurants and other stores are at each interstate intersection.....along with which are RV and truck friendly.

Since you are traveling the coastal region, beware that VA. tunnels require propane cyliners to be in the off position. There will be a VDOT pull-off before the tunnels to give you a chance to turn off the propane.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

There is always the old "reliable" stubby pencil route - stop at any truck stop and pick up a copy of the "Motor Carriers Atlas". This will list all low bridge clearances by state and route #, restricted roads, prohibited highways (i.e. in NY state all PARKWAYS are off limits). Having drove truck for 20+ years I cant see being without it with all the reliability issues I keep hearing about the RV GPS's.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

I doubt you will be going directly through NY City, but I believe some of the bridges and tunnels there do not allow you to cross if you have propane tanks or you are restricted to certain levels. For example George Washington bridge you cannot use the lower level. There could be others.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #8

In New York I would stay OFF any road that calls it a Parkway( no trucks) some LEO also consider a pick up a truck plus on parkways the underpass heights might be low. A friend when we were heading to Canada almost headed to one of these area till I spotted the height sign and the police had to stop traffic to get him turned around.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #9

The NY Parkway thing, the Baltimore tunnel and Virginia propane issues are why I'm looking for some GPS that routes RV's. It seems if your heading up the East coast you're bound to run into something unexpected. It's hard to believe there is no program or app that routes RV's. With the RV market booming and all, you would think it would be easy enough to find on the net...

Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #10

We tow near the Buffalo area very frequently and there is no issue with RV's on the I-90 nor anywhere near it.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #11

I've been told there are issues near Buffalo on I-190. On one of our stops we plan on going to the Niagara KOA off there. Any issues on I-190?

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
We tow near the Buffalo area very frequently and there is no issue with RV's on the I-90 nor anywhere near it.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #12

Try the Good Sam website, they have a trip planner that has lots of information available.
maconandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #13

I live in lower NY and travel a lot in PA, NJ, MD and VA. Stay away from all parkways in NJ and NY. Also for convenience and cost savings. Look into a EZ-Pass. They don't cost you anything and if you are up here for a while it will save stopping at tolls. The governments up here love toll money. If you stay on any o the main roads/highways. You wont have any issues.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
2011 Berkshire 390bh

The only issues you may have around Buffalo would be if you were to be on some of the city streets of Buffalo itself. There are several bridges that are less than the NYS minimum of 13' 6". Those bridges are pretty well marked and it would be highly unlikely you would be in any of those neighborhoods with an RV. As long as you are on the Interstates you will have no issues. There are no low clearance issues going to the Grand Island KOA as it is right next to the I-190 with easy access to Niagara Falls.

If you are going to go into Canada, remember passports, no guns, and pet rabies shot information. Most tourists prefer the view from Canada, but both sides are spectacular.

Ed
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Site Team

We drove this route--
http://goo.gl/maps/MMipc

Columbus OH, to Four Mile Creek SP in NY in June pulling my rig and
had no issues at all.

Nice little park BTW. Nothing fancy but an economical place to stay while
we were "doing the Falls area".
We have no kids so didn't need all the whistles and bells of a typical KOA.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #16

Thanks Guys.
My other areas of concern are the DC area (going be staying at the Cherry Hill RV Park) and Philadelphia area (Timberlane RV Park in NJ is the closest I could find). I know going around DC and Baltimore are going to have issues (tunnels and such); just not sure how many though.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
Thanks Guys. My other areas of concern are the DC area (going be staying at the Cherry Hill RV Park) and Philadelphia area (Timberlane RV Park in NJ is the closest I could find). I know going around DC and Baltimore are going to have issues (tunnels and such); just not sure how many though.
The only issue in this area are both tunnels on I-95/895 in Baltimore- NO propane is allowed. You have to take I-695 in either direction. I prefer south, but there is a toll with the Key Bridge. North just takes too long.

No issues around DC nor getting to Cherry Hill park.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #18

I live in the Hershey/Gettysburg area. No problems in our area if you stay on the main roads. There are plenty of low bridges, but they are all on secondary roads.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
The NY Parkway thing, the Baltimore tunnel and Virginia propane issues are why I'm looking for some GPS that routes RV's. It seems if your heading up the East coast you're bound to run into something unexpected. It's hard to believe there is no program or app that routes RV's. With the RV market booming and all, you would think it would be easy enough to find on the net...
I live in Virginia, There is no problems with the tunnels, they are all 13'6" or more. It is true that they make you stop before entering with propane, but you just turn it off go through and then pull over and turn it back on at the other end. There is easy on and off at these spots, most of the time you have to wake the guy up. Never a back up at the station. All you have to do is VDOT and they will give you any restrictions they have for any highway you ask or tunnels and bridges. Do not let that scare you off it is really only a 5 min delay and like I said easy off and on at each end with alot of space to do it in.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #20

Travelled from western Michigan to Lake George, NY last summer on New York thruway (I90) with no problems except usual construction area situations found everywhere. Only area of concern were the toll booths on the turnpike in Ohio (scraped my new coach). Have heard from others that Ohio booths are tighter than most.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote