Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Where to stay on Rt 85 south of Atlanta Ga.

My wife and I are heading to the Gulf area in Foley Al for a few weeks. I tried to find a campground for an overnight on Rt. 85 south of Atlanta.
I did not see any sites listed in Ga or, until you get near Aurburn Al. I'm not sure how far we can make it past Atlanta, this is our first long trip.
Any overnight stay would be fine, for this area. Thanks.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #2

About the only thing of any quality between Atlanta and stateline would be FDR State Park, but it's a ways off the interstate.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. We are going to stay an extra day and see the little white house in Warm Springs GA. thanks for the tip.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #4

FDR is a nice SP. A very steep winding hill leading down to the campground from the office, but not impossible. If you like antiquing, there's a couple of good stores in Warm Springs, Pine Mountain, & Manchester. I'd recommend the winery in Warm Springs also. Take a day to visit Callaway Gardens. I personally love the butterfly center. If you're lucky you'll hit it when the azaleas are in bloom. All of this is within 15 miles of where you'll be staying.
grb2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Was in that area back in 2008 (not camping). Don't remember how far away it is right now, but to me, the most impressive thing in that part of Georgia was Andersonville (civil war prison camp). Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

Andersonville is definately an interesting and sobering site,well worth seeing, but it's close to 75 miles as the crow flies from FDR.