Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Yogi Bear Campground in Maryland

Wrapping up a weekend here and have to say some stuff I like, some stuff I am left scratching my head over.

To start, Conner, our ranger that led us back to our site on our arrival on Friday took us the wrong way on the street we were staying on. Now bear in mind that the campground was fully booked and very crowded. What I thought was an honest mistake I later found was actually inexperience, incompetence, and some other adjectives I won't post. His solution was to do a K turn back into the street we came from, and then either roll in reverse down the street the right way to our site, or K turn and go all the way back to the entrance. I chose going to the entrance. It was getting dark and I was getting frustrated. Once we got to the site to back in...Conner could not locate the sewer connection because he was standing on it. The site itself is built out for a pop up, not a 30 foot TT so backing and leveling left me with my trailer at the back of the site, and my tongue 5 feet out into the road. But this is camping so I set up, strung my sewer hose behind my tire and went on my way.

Moving on.....take the kids to the pool. We get there, and boom - whistle blows for adult swim. Now this would not be a bad thing except they close down the water slide AND clear out the kiddie splash area so that the adults can play in that thus leaving 3 adults swimming in the pool....2 adults shooting themselves with water cannons....and a whole host of parents telling shaking their heads telling their kids that they can't make sense of anything.

Overall, the park is clean, everything looks very "new" and as such it's not cheap. Standard site with E/W/S is 100 a night....the standard sites are really small. The place draws a good crowd of nice people but it does not seem that quiet hours are honored or enforced.

Coming back from a day out today (Sunday) I wound up having to wait in a long line of checkins to get to a point where I could bypass everyone waiting and proceed to my site. Thumbs down in that area for me.

Next time I am in this area I think I will check out the KOA in Harpers Ferry instead because this place has earned a spot on my do not return list.

The website pictures don't lie. The place is very visually appealing but I guess because they are paying a fair amount of money in licensing the mantra is pack them in and charge them a lot.

They do have well run and plentiful activities for the kids and a REALLY nice area for lazer tag but EVERYTHING has a dollar sign next to it.

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Parkâ„¢ in Hagerstown, MD
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

I have been to the Yogi Bear in Quarryville PA and what your saying seams to be the same there, not cheap, crowned but it is clean and eye catching. We did like all the activities. Not seeing any trips to Yogi anytime soon.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We've been to the Yogi Bear at Kozy Rest in Harrisville, PA and it was EXACTLY as you described your adventure, maybe a touch worse.

No more Yogi Bear's for us!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

The Yogi Bear parks serve a great product if your camping with kids, but now since ours are grown we tend to avoid them due to their high cost and things we really do not need, but glad they are there for folks with kids, I mean think of it activities to keep your children busy all day to get a good night sleep why mom & dad relax outside.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

We were there that same weekend for 4 nights. 😀 Two of our days (Wed & Thurs) had 3 diff pool closures due to poopie diapers and it was very hot out. We go there enough to know the workers & they have changed a lot over the past couple yrs. Connor isn't bad. He seems to have nervous twitches though. DH loves to mess with him. Don't camp near the front of the park if you're big. It's too hard to maneuver the turns, trees & lg rocks. We always stay either far back left standard sites or back right (preferred? I think). The cable reception is different on all 4 of our tvs. 1 will only get about 7 channels. Their wifi is terrible if it works at all. I agree with the $$$$. It's expensive to stay, need more $ for extras & its crowded. Day pass people don't help the overcrowding either. It's changed management/ownership & seems more $ driven now. They keep updating & adding stuff. We have been going there 8 yrs now, only because we have kids and it's a little over an hr away. Our older 2 get bored with it quick & just want $ to spend. Our 2 yr old loves it, but he was sad to not see any Bears out this trip.

Availability is hard to get since adding the kids pirate ship area. This weekend we're going to Luray VA Yogi. It's cheaper, but an hour farther. Supposedly it's the same owner as Yogi MD & Quarryville Yogi. We've only been there once before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Campingwith2kids2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Connor may be an alright guy but boy he put me thru the ringer leading me back to my site. It was almost like he had never navigated thru the campground prior to that moment.

Overall, like I said we had a good stay but I can't recommend the place to anyone based on a few of the things that I originally posted about. It did seem like everything had a price to it except for a few things. I'll give it to them that the lazer tag was nicely set up and not expensive for what it was BUT overall the place seemed quite overblown.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Did you check to see if there was an opening at Greenbrier State Park just east of Hagerstown? We stayed there, electric hookup only but the campground is well taken care of and clean.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

We tried to take the grand kids to Yogi Bear in Luray this year but it was not available the week we were going and it seemed a little too expensive. We went to the KOA in Luray and really liked it, very clean, campsites are spaced out nice and they have a great pool. Also camped at Ramblin Pines in Woodbine MD earlier this year and that was another very nice campground. The KOA in Harper's Ferry has alot of seasonal sites and they are close together, just so you know. We camped at Brunswick Family Campground last year and it was pretty good too; you have to use their dump station and it is a little more rustic, compared to the KOA, but right on the river.

Tags
mpg