Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

'05 v8 4Runner + Surveyor

Hey all, so I am in the market for a TT and was really hoping to use my existing '05 v8 4Runner as the TV. I am a consultant and work from my home office 90% of the time so my plan was to basically just uproot my office and make it mobile. I've also got a 1 year old pitbull so unfortunately I can't fly with him due to airline regulations against pitbulls. Driving would be the next best option in my mind so here we are.

Right now the Surveyor 226RBDS is the leading Forest River model with a Rockwood Mini-Lite 2511S behind that (and a Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE slightly ahead of the Rockwood).

I was hoping to stick with a dual axle TT vs single axle which is how I ended up choosing these models (with an appropriate interior layout that would work for me). I've driven my share of large trucks and trailers and plan on practicing a ton before any real driving. However the plan is ultimately to be driving the country (I live in Las Vegas) with visiting family and friends in both Philadelphia and Florida high on the list.

The Surveyor lists as 5028lb UVW with my 4Runner having a limit of 7000lb which I obviously have no desire to get close to. With a couple hundred pounds of my personal crap loaded into the trailer I suspect I would have a weight of around 5600-5700lb or so. Does anyone have any real world experience with this setup?

So yea, I guess I figured for now I was hoping to start a conversation on this. Please keep in mind that I am not interested in replacing my TV at this time. Maybe in a few years but right now its not really an option.
smokey7722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Here's the SUPER basic thing on weights:

1) Be positive that your 4Runner has the 7,300# tow capacity, and not the 5,000# capacity.

2) The 5,028# UVW listed does not include propane, batteries, linens, etc... so that number just won't be accurate if you actually weigh your trailer.

3) The golden rule is to match your tow vehicle to the trailer's GVWR and not the UVW because cargo weights add up really quickly. The trailer you listed has a load capacity of 2,630#. That's 7,658# total.

4) Keep in mind that your tow vehicle's tow rating is dependent on how much stuff/people you have IN the vehicle. If you've got 300# of stuff in the back of your 4Runner, your tow rating goes down.

You said you only have a couple hundred pounds of gear. But I'm willing to bet that doesn't include water, propane, batteries, hoses, shore power cord, bed sheets, clothes, food, shoes.... you get the idea.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Here's the SUPER basic thing on weights:

1) Be positive that your 4Runner has the 7,300# tow capacity, and not the 5,000# capacity.
2005 v8 4WD is 7000lb capacity. 7300lb would be 2WD and 5000lb is v6.

Quote:
2) The 5028# UVW listed does not include propane, batteries, linens, etc...

3) The golden rule is to match your tow vehicle to the trailers GVW and not the UVW. Because cargo weights add up really quickly.
Understood. Right now the GVWR is TBD on the specs of the Surveyor and haven't reached out to a dealer yet to try to get more info.

Quote:
You said you only have a couple hundred pounds of gear. But I'm willing to bet that doesn't include water, propane, batteries, hoses, shore power cord, bed sheets, clothes, food, shoes.... you get the idea.
Yea, I was just throwing a ballpark idea out there for personal items. Nothing concrete or anything as I obviously haven't weighed anything or even made a list of what would be going and loaded in there.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey7722 View Post
2005 v8 4WD is 7000lb capacity. 7300lb would be 2WD and 5000lb is v6.
Awesome. I figured the V8 would be the dead giveaway, but I wasn't sure.

Quote:
Understood. Right now the GVWR is TBD on the specs of the Surveyor and haven't reached out to a dealer yet to try to get more info.
I got that 2,038 number from last year's model... it'll probably be close.

Quote:
Yea, I was just throwing a ballpark idea out there for personal items. Nothing concrete or anything as I obviously haven't weighed anything or even made a list of what would be going and loaded in there.
I went back and re-read your guesstimates and you added about 700# which I think would be close to accurate.

In my very limited experience, towing with a smaller SUV like the 4Runner is just fine. I currently tow a 4,000# trailer with a Honda Pilot. It's fine... Having a pickup would be much better, but it's not uncomfortable.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #5

Thats what my thinking is. I was curious though as the Surveyor lists the hitch weight at 658lb and thats a number I am not used to seeing in terms of how to interpret it for the specific TV or if thats more related to the WDH that I end up using? My TV manual states 700lb for my specific model with its weight distributing hitch so I assume I am ok on that front?

Looks like the total weight with trailer is 12,000lb so from what I gather I am well below that based on the options I am considering.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Thats what my thinking is. I was curious though as the Surveyor lists the hitch weight at 658lb and thats a number I am not used to seeing in terms of how to interpret it for the specific TV or if thats more related to the WDH that I end up using? My TV manual states 700lb for my specific model with its weight distributing hitch so I assume I am ok on that front?

Looks like the total weight with trailer is 12,000lb so from what I gather I am well below that based on the options I am considering.
Yes that 658# weight is fine. Typically your TV will state a basic 10% tongue weight of your total towing limit. Just be sure to not exceed a 700# tongue weight even with a WDH.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes that 658# weight is fine. Typically your TV will state a basic 10% tongue weight of your total towing limit. Just be sure to not exceed a 700# tongue weight even with a WDH.
Not to sound stupid - how can I tell what the tongue weight is once things are loaded and all?

So I guess if this sounds good, the question then would get redirected towards an appropriate hitch/sway setup?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #8

I had an 2004 Toyota Sport Edition Forerunner with the V8 and towed a 25ft Fleetwood Prowler that CAT scaled weighted 5740lbs and had a TW of 580 lbs I can't remember what my payload was in the Forerunner. I didn't have any issues towing it
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #9

I'm doing something similar. Durango (tow package, 5.7L, 7200# tow) is my wife's daily driver and we use it to tow a grey wolf 23MK. 5100# dry and 600# tongue. Because I'm at the top end of what I would tow with the Durango, I don't tow with water, and everything goes in the trailer (not the Durango). Our issue is the tongue more than the TT weight. 600# dry became roughly 850# loaded, and still puts 740# on the Durango with a WDH hooked up. Per the CAT scales, I'm less than 400# under GVW on the Durango, and TT weighs 5600# loaded (no water, no clothes, no food - I was returning it to storage). If you are using your TT as a mobile office, this may not work for you. Within reason, weight can be managed. Since i only have 3 weeks of vacation, we also probably don't have as much stuff in the trailer as you will.
Just things to think about, good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I'm doing something similar. Durango (tow package, 5.7L, 7200# tow) is my wife's daily driver and we use it to tow a grey wolf 23MK. 5100# dry and 600# tongue. Because I'm at the top end of what I would tow with the Durango, I don't tow with water, and everything goes in the trailer (not the Durango). Our issue is the tongue more than the TT weight. 600# dry became roughly 850# loaded, and still puts 740# on the Durango with a WDH hooked up. Per the CAT scales, I'm less than 400# under GVW on the Durango, and TT weighs 5600# loaded (no water, no clothes, no food - I was returning it to storage). If you are using your TT as a mobile office, this may not work for you. Within reason, weight can be managed. Since i only have 3 weeks of vacation, we also probably don't have as much stuff in the trailer as you will.
Just things to think about, good luck.
Yup I appreciate the feedback. By my comment of mobile office, the good thing is that means a laptop, maybe a small computer and then clothing/food/kitchen junk/etc.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not to sound stupid - how can I tell what the tongue weight is once things are loaded and all?

So I guess if this sounds good, the question then would get redirected towards an appropriate hitch/sway setup?
You can use sites like this to make estimates:

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators

But in the end, you'll only get your real weight by measuring. Either from a CAT scale, or by using a tongue scale. Lots of information about it here:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

Off topic from the weights, as a travelling consultant myself, how do you plan to accommodate travel time to your locations? Often my plans can change last minute and instead of going to say, Boston, that project might suddenly change and the next week I need to be somewhere else, like Atlanta.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You can use sites like this to make estimates:

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators

But in the end, you'll only get your real weight by measuring. Either from a CAT scale, or by using a tongue scale. Lots of information about it here:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

Off topic from the weights, as a travelling consultant myself, how do you plan to accommodate travel time to your locations? Often my plans can change last minute and instead of going to say, Boston, that project might suddenly change and the next week I need to be somewhere else, like Atlanta.
Thanks for the links, that helps.

On the consultant topic, theres a lot I haven't really decided yet including internet access options. Luckily my plans aren't too last minute for onsite as I rarely go onsite right now. If I have the puppy with me, theres not much of a option for last minute travel unless I am somewhere that I have family or friends at that could take him while I fly last minute. It isn't ideal but I am not looking to be out on the road for months at a time. I am right now thinking 2-4 weeks at a shot depending on the destinations but that can obviously change. If projects where I need to be onsite more start to trickle in then I'll have to rethink things unfortunately as the travel time is going to be an issue (and I can't fly leaving the puppy).
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #13

if you find a unit that’s close enough there’s nothing wrong with asking the dealer to either deliver it to local scales or after you’ve negotiated price and settled on how you’ll be paying (but before actually signing on the bottom line) let you tow it to said scales and make sure of the numbers. Whatever you do, don’t rely on numbers you’ll find online. Go and look In person and find the spec sticker which is often in a cabinet, near the entry door. Their goal is to deliver a unit that weighs 5028lbs but different pieces of wood weigh different amounts. If you’ve done any woodworking you’ll know that’s the case. A WDH is a must have, for sure. Good luck and keep us posted and don’t forget to enjoy the process. Having your own TT would be a huge improvement over different hotels in diff places.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
if you find a unit that’s close enough there’s nothing wrong with asking the dealer to either deliver it to local scales or after you’ve negotiated price and settled on how you’ll be paying (but before actually signing on the bottom line) let you tow it to said scales and make sure of the numbers. Whatever you do, don’t rely on numbers you’ll find online. Go and look In person and find the spec sticker which is often in a cabinet, near the entry door. Their goal is to deliver a unit that weighs 5028lbs but different pieces of wood weigh different amounts. If you’ve done any woodworking you’ll know that’s the case. A WDH is a must have, for sure. Good luck and keep us posted and don’t forget to enjoy the process. Having your own TT would be a huge improvement over different hotels in diff places.
Sounds good on the scales. I'll probably pickup a tongue weight scale for myself and will be sure to get the TT weighed prior as well.

So now I can go back to searching to actually find a unit anywhere and start researching the hitches.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds good on the scales. I'll probably pickup a tongue weight scale for myself and will be sure to get the TT weighed prior as well.

So now I can go back to searching to actually find a unit anywhere and start researching the hitches.
I don't have experience with it, but the Andersen hitch would be highly recommended for your setup. It's one of the lightest weight distribution hitches, which will help keep your weights within your limits.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...ion-hitch.aspx
Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #16

The factory dry weight includes propane and has for several years now, see the information on the website on the one you want.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #17

Experience

I drive an 03 4Runner 4x2 with the V8. I would not want to tow a trailer that large.

I had a 08 Tundra with the 4.7 V8 4X4. I towed all over the US with it and never had a problem, but I spent a lot of time in 4th gear, burned a lot of fuel, and almost always arrived exhausted. This while towing a Coachman Catalina very similar to the size you describe. With a truck much larger than a 4Runner.

I currently tow the same trailer as above with a 2500 Duramax. Now, I’m not saying you need a diesel, or even a 250/2500 truck. What I am saying is that the bigger vehicle and larger displacement engine made all the difference in the comfort, handling, and overall towing experience.

I can not understate how much better I feel and less fatigued/stressed after towing now vs with the Tundra and the 4.7 liter engine.

Yes it will tow it, but I do not think you will enjoy the experience. I would look for something 4000k or less unloaded and under 20 feet total length.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

I just bought a Surveyor 264RKLE and tow with a 2003 Sequoia 4WD (tow capacity 6200). I had to go to the LE series due to weight. I have towed it from Wilmington ( bought it 6 weeks ago) and towed it home to Virginia Beach. Now at Ogunquit Maine. Since I am 65 years old, i do not get in a rush on the highway. The dealer convinced me to buy an Equal-i-zer brand E4. I wish I still had my Hensley.
We have to watch what we put in the Sequoia and what goes in the trailer. The trailer is no where near its GVWR, but on the scales with full gasoline, wife, me, trailer and stuff, we are right next to the Sequoia GVW and the GCWR.
None of the Grand Designs would work due to weight. Last weekend we camped next to a new Grand Design that was being pulled by a new Tundra. The owner lived within 50 miles and it was his first camping experience. Told me the Tundra did well.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #19

Thanks for the feedback. Luckily i should be well within the weight limits. Using my 4runner also may only be for a few years until i pickup another truck. At least for now it seems that it's doable, maybe not the most comfortable but doable with the right driving habits and equipment.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Hey all, so I am in the market for a TT and was really hoping to use my existing '05 v8 4Runner as the TV. I am a consultant and work from my home office 90% of the time so my plan was to basically just uproot my office and make it mobile. I've also got a 1 year old pitbull so unfortunately I can't fly with him due to airline regulations against pitbulls. Driving would be the next best option in my mind so here we are.

Right now the Surveyor 226RBDS is the leading Forest River model with a Rockwood Mini-Lite 2511S behind that (and a Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE slightly ahead of the Rockwood).

I was hoping to stick with a dual axle TT vs single axle which is how I ended up choosing these models (with an appropriate interior layout that would work for me). I've driven my share of large trucks and trailers and plan on practicing a ton before any real driving. However the plan is ultimately to be driving the country (I live in Las Vegas) with visiting family and friends in both Philadelphia and Florida high on the list.

The Surveyor lists as 5028lb UVW with my 4Runner having a limit of 7000lb which I obviously have no desire to get close to. With a couple hundred pounds of my personal crap loaded into the trailer I suspect I would have a weight of around 5600-5700lb or so. Does anyone have any real world experience with this setup?

So yea, I guess I figured for now I was hoping to start a conversation on this. Please keep in mind that I am not interested in replacing my TV at this time. Maybe in a few years but right now its not really an option.
We have the Surveyor 226RBDS. We are out for two to three months at a time and love our trailer. However, when loaded for travel, our weighs in at 6800 with about ten gallons of water. Might be cutting it close with the 4Runner.
Surveyor226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor