Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #21
PhD, Common Sense

X5.

Who here did not tow for the first time without expert help?

We managed to get the TT home without fatalities, just a little rough language as we tried to back it in the first time.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmi View Post
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. No room for negativity.
One other tip, refuel your truck just before picking up the camper. One less thing to deal with, not all gas stations are trailer friendly to get in and out of.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
llr

Also if it feels unstable slow down and take backroads if needed. Don't be too discouraged if this happens as it is probably just adjustments but it is not easy to change them on the side of the road.

It is not very likely that the dealer will get the WDH perfect. The big question is how bad will they do.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #24

If they will, maybe someone at the dealership will go with you around the block or to a empty parking lot, and give tips and advice. Watch YouTube videos on RV towing, particularly on how the trailer reacts to turning, needing wider turns...etc

It is not difficult, it is just something different. After a couple of times, you will be comfortable towing, and can come here and complain about all the people that like to cut you off.

Also to add, try and stick to the major roads, or larger side roads as it will make it easier. Google maps will always think you are a Smart car, and route you on roads you really shouldn't be on.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #25

Honestly, in my experience, most women who drive RVs, semis, farm equipment, are inherently better drivers than men.
My wife is a better RV driver than I am. She just doesn't like to. Maybe because she doesn't enjoy pulling the RV, she pays more attention than I do?
A trucking (semi) company we use at the farm has two female drivers. We look forward to them, as they put the truck/trailer right where it needs to be easily, no drama.
You will be fine.
Practice a few corners and ensure you can see the RV tires in the mirrors when you turn so if you do cut too sharp, you can stop and adjust.
Since you will be the first driver of your RV, you will be the expert and your husband will be asking you for advice later
Happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
If they will, maybe someone at the dealership will go with you around the block or to a empty parking lot, and give tips and advice. Watch YouTube videos on RV towing, particularly on how the trailer reacts to turning, needing wider turns...etc

It is not difficult, it is just something different. After a couple of times, you will be comfortable towing, and can come here and complain about all the people that like to cut you off.

Also to add, try and stick to the major roads, or larger side roads as it will make it easier. Google maps will always think you are a Smart car, and route you on roads you really shouldn't be on.
The good news is all but about 10-15 miles is one interstate, iinterstate 80.
JohnAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
STOP IT!!!!! ALL of us have had our own "First time". The first response was the correct one. Take your time, remember to make wider turns and you'll do fine.
Most people have towed something before a roadtrip with a 25’ trailer
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #28
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmi View Post
The good news is all but about 10-15 miles is one interstate, iinterstate 80.
I80 can get very windy especially on the western side. Take your time and you'll be fine

Get the trailer to a parking lot and practice practice practice forward and backwards.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #29

My first time out I had my brother sitting beside me, truck driver since he been oldest to drive a truck, invaluable advice and guidance.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #30

I'm sure you will do just fine. Few thoughts/suggestions:
1) See if the dealer has some cones and an area that you can do a few laps in. Everyone here is saying to take wide turns but how wide depends upon the turning radius of your truck, how long the RV is, etc. By setting up cones, you can simulate cars beside of you and hence allow you to judge how wide to turn, etc.
2) Learn how to setup and use tow mirrors. This is critical as you will rely on those mirrors to show it is safe to move over, etc. On my truck the blind spot indicators are disabled when I connect to a trailer so I have to rely on me, myself and I.
3) Sadly many people on the roads don't respect 18 wheelers and those with trailers/RVs. They'll cut right in front of you and then hit the brakes. So give yourself plenty of space between you and those in front of you.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #31

I agree with boydn1....not so sure I would want my first time towing to be a 25' trailer going across I-80. How long is you husband not able to drive? Is it possible to put off picking up until he is? Just a thought.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbo69 View Post
I ..... How long is you husband not able to drive? Is it possible to put off picking up until he is? Just a thought.
Don't see how that is relevant as he has never towed before either......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #33

Quote:
I agree with boydn1....not so sure I would want my first time towing to be a 25' trailer going across I-80. How long is you husband not able to drive? Is it possible to put off picking up until he is? Just a thought.
Jesus...really...? Plenty of gals, my wife included, can handle towing as well or better than the men-folk. So you're saying if her husband can drive the rig everything will be ok? Like I said...really...?
Old 11-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #34

I agree with taking it slow and making sure your turns are bigger than normal and you'll be fine. My wife was unsure the 1st time she tried to tow the TT but after a few minutes, she felt fine and did a great job.

Something else you might consider is searching Youtube for towing an RV. There are a number of channels that can provide assistance. "Big Truck Big RV" and "Long Long Honeymoon" are 2 channels that immediately come to mind.
sjohnstoncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #35
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
STOP IT!!!!! ALL of us have had our own "First time". The first response was the correct one. Take your time, remember to make wider turns and you'll do fine.
Sure,... we can all tell this person who admitted she's never towed anything to "go for it", and we do it with impunity. That's because none of us has any skin in this game.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Jesus Borat, we're in the 21st century. A woman can drive/tow just as well as a man, given the same level of experience (in this case, none).

I wonder how different a lot of these responses would be if it were the husband, not the wife, asking for help here. There are plenty of people without towing experience that successfully RV. Sheesh.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #37

I am a 59.5 year old woman and I picked up my first ever trailer in September by MYSELF without someone along for moral support!! The crew at the dealer hooked it up for me - explaining it all to me while they were doing it - (video tape this part and the walk through on the trailer) and then explained how to turn on the controls in my truck (2020 Ram 2500) and sent me to an area to practice turning around and backing up. The road between where I picked up the trailer and where I parked it (120 miles) was long, narrow, curvy, etc. I passed through 2 small towns with lots of corners and red lights, stop signs, etc. I was very, very nervous until I got going and, by the time I got to the RV Park where I was staying I was cool as a cucumber - I made it just fine - so will you!!
*****Once I got rolling down the road that trailer just followed along behind me*****
GOOD LUCK - if you think you can do it you can do it and you MUST think you can do it or you wouldn't be attempting it!!

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Living to work and Working to live!
Sharonogoingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #38

We all learned to tow without official training. We all climbed into the front seat with our hearts pounding and had no clue what to expect.
In fact almost all of us do it every time we hook up our trailers for the first 30 minutes.
Anyone can tow a trailer or 5th wheel without training, there is no license or class requirements needed. Anyone can do it and it’s legal.
Take turns extra wide especially right turns.
Slow down 100’-200’ before every stop sign or red light.
If the trailer wiggles on the highway slow down ASAP until it stops.
Backing in requires practice, but we still have issues with certain sites.
I do recommend removing the WDH when doing hard / sharp back ins.
Everyone learned by just doing it, that’s all it takes.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #39
Site Team

It seems some would require a person to have experience towing before the person tows for the first time. Catch-22?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #40

I would like to add to do a PDI before leaving the dealer.
Turn on everything, lights,stove, fans, TVs radios, heater, air conditioning.
Have them put water in the fresh water tank and test out the pump, faucets and shower for leaks and the hot water heater.
Open and close the sides. Open and close the awning.
Don’t take delivery until everything it working to your satisfaction.

Tags
towing