Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #1

2" Nose high a big deal?

Question here. I posted in another area but I think This is probably a better spot so I’ll get right to the point. Picked up a Grey Wolf 21 RB from the dealer couple weeks ago, they did a terrible hitch job, maybe a new guy, who knows. I took it back and the service manager took care of most of it. TV sits good(1.24” squat in the back), WD look pretty good, but it’s still nose high at 2” its loaded now and still feels like the trailer wanders a bit in the back.

I tried to have the dealer get it level but the GM says it ”within spec” and anything they do going forward is out of my pocket. Will I notice a difference with 2” nose high? I have some weights below, I did not weigh TT unhitched or without bars, This is also with a full tank of fresh water. Tanks sits just forward of front axle, paper shows 47 Gallons.

Thanks!

TV 2000 Durango SLT 5.9 4.56 diff
TT 2015 Grey wolf 21 RB

Scale
TV fuel driver some gear
FA 2620
RA 2320

Hitched fuel driver and gear
FA 2640
RA 2920

TT Hitched to TV
Front 2440
Rear 2770
coffeeguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A nose-high trailer is never a good thing. As you have observed, it is an invitation for trailer sway. You probably need to get an insert for your hitch with about 2" more drop than you currently have.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy57 View Post
Scale
TV fuel driver some gear
FA 2620
RA 2320

Hitched fuel driver and gear
FA 2640
RA 2920

TT Hitched to TV
Front 2440
Rear 2770
What is the difference between "hitched fuel driver and gear" and "TT hitched to TV" ?? There is a 350 lb difference between those 2 figures. Were all of the weights done with the same people cargo, and fluids, along with the same locations of those in the truck ?? To get proper weights, cargo, fluids and people need to be in the same position each weigh-in.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If your front is 2" higher than the rear of your trailer, you're an inch or so out of level, (depending on where the pivot point is). If your truck is level and you're happy with the way it sits, dropping the ball is the way to go.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
What is the difference between "hitched fuel driver and gear" and "TT hitched to TV" ?? There is a 350 lb difference between those 2 figures. Were all of the weights done with the same people cargo, and fluids, along with the same locations of those in the truck ?? To get proper weights, cargo, fluids and people need to be in the same position each weigh-in.
Tow vehicle was the same for both measurements - 1 - 2 gallons of fuel. I weighed the next day.

"TT hitched to TV" This is Trailer Axlel weights front and rear while hitched to my D'
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If your front is 2" higher than the rear of your trailer, you're an inch or so out of level, (depending on where the pivot point is). If your truck is level and you're happy with the way it sits, dropping the ball is the way to go.
That was my thought as well, The coupler height on this trailer is low 13 - 13.5" with the round bars that will be close to 4" of clearance from the bars, already scraping bars now. I will in the end do what’s best even if the dealer bows out. But also don’t want to spend the dollars if the gains will be non- existent.

Dealer said move the axles to the bottom of the springs will raise it 4”. Currently the frame is 16.5 inches off the ground; Maybe not a bad idea but I do like that the trailer isn’t way up in the air. Especially with my TV being so light weight. I haven’t seen much feedback about stability once this is done. I also wonder about warranty issues as the trailer is new.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That was my thought as well, The coupler height on this trailer is low 13 - 13.5" with the round bars that will be close to 4" of clearance from the bars, already scraping bars now.
That is a bit low. Is the tongue frame lower than the trailer frame ?? What are the bars scrapping ??

Quote:
Dealer said move the axles to the bottom of the springs will raise it 4”. Currently the frame is 16.5 inches off the ground; Maybe not a bad idea but I do like that the trailer isn’t way up in the air. Especially with my TV being so light weight. I haven’t seen much feedback about stability once this is done. I also wonder about warranty issues as the trailer is new.
My 28.5' trailer has about the same frame height, and I like the low riding aspect.....I have only drug the tail end 1 time coming out of a gas station. But with the low coupler height, flipping the axles might be an option. But, to keep the warranty intact, you might want to wait until after the warranty has expired.

Quote:

"TT hitched to TV" This is Trailer Axlel weights front and rear while hitched to my D'
The 300 lb. difference indicates that the trailer is tongue high, as you have noticed. But, most WDHs have their adjustment holes spaced at about 2". Going to the next lower hole may then make the trailer ride tongue down. A 2" difference is going to lower the tongue about 2", and raise the rear about 2", so you will again be out-of-level. It is best to keep at least 10% tongue weight while towing. The stats on that trailer indicate about 10% empty tongue weight. Loading front heavy would probably be good, as well as avoid any fluids in the waste tanks, which are probably all of the way to the rear, according to the bathroom location.

With the tongue high trailer attitude, that should actually increase the tongue weight on a dual axle trailer. Lowering the trailer tongue may also cause some drag problems with hitch.

Some pictures would be good.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

The tongue is welded under the frame yes. I too like mine a bit lower. My last TT was low as well and while shopping a saw some that were pretty high off the ground, I was trying to avoid that. I did see some of trailers with high ground clearance and 3 entrance steps had the tongue below the frame. Works good for those trailers. I didn’t look at that with this model.

1 more hole on the shank is exactly what I need. 2” down a little less aft head tilt and one more chain link. It just takes the bars 2” closer to the ground.

I’m looking at the Equalizer 4 point system, It will give me good sway control and more ground clearance if we can get it set up right. My biggest issue us with the dealer kind of shrugging it off and saying it can’t get it any better. I already paid $480 wrapped into the deal for the Round bar WD hitch that in my mind is the wrong type for hitch for this trailer. I understand the higher cost for an upgraded hitch, I just need some empathy and a little help here.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The Equal-i-zer may be a better fit since the spring bars usually ride a bit higher than round bars that are slung from the bottom of the hitch. The difference may only be an inch or 2. I think the lowest point on the Equal-i-zer is the bottom of the hitch, not the bars.

If you are thinking about changing your WDH, make sure it is the Equal-i-zer 4 point, and not the similar Fastway E2. You are pulling a 25' trailer with a mid-sized SUV with a 116" wheelbase. You will need as much sway control as possible.....which by the way no mention of sway control was mentioned in the 1st post.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #10

I had the Equal-i-zer installed, Hitch shank drags into my driveway. Not much else I can do. Where the trailer is parked I have to unhitch the bars first any way because of the angle. I just put on my other ball and parked it to my content. Ill take this with me for now, lifts up the hitch high enough to clear and still not drag on the back of the trailer.

Ill probably get some air bags and compressor this summer and lift a couple inches when needed to maneuver. I was thinking about this anyway in case I throw an extra cooler or gennie in the back of the D'

Trailer is level, TV is 1" low in the rear, front bumper is good. Doesn't feel much different. I guess thats a good thing! When I picked it up we were having a mild storm with 20 mph gust, I drove it around for an hour or so on some back highways - pretty solid.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #11

I don't know what it is worth to you and some others may tell you/me/us it is not possible but......

I have the equalizer hitch and on my set up I had to get a drop shank because my truck sits too high for the standard shank. I have a few inches of extra shank that hangs off the bottom, my dealer told me I could get the extra unneeded shank trimmed off the bottom to give me a few extra inches of clearance. I do not know the safety issues associated with this or even if there are any, I personally probably wont cut it only because I have plenty of clearance so far but I will keep it open as an option if I do need extra clearance as I tow places and use it more. If your shank has room to trim it might be worthwhile to research and see if it can be done.

Has anyone heard of this as an option, or is the install guy blowing smoke?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #12

Cutting the bottom of the shank should be safe as long as it is cut with a blade, possibly also kept cool with water. Cutting with flame or plasma will alter the metal because of the heat.

I considered it a while ago for my prior TV, but glad I didn't because now I need that extra length for my current TV.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote