Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

2001 Prius On Dolly

We're getting ready to take our first non-shakedown trip soon, and will be towing a 2001 Prius on a dolly. All the towing information I have seen advises unlocking the steering wheel. On most cars this means disconnecting the battery before turning the key and leaving it in the ignition.

Since the Prius is designed to shut down the engine when the computer decides so, I was thinking that we could just turn the key to "on" and tow the car that way, without having to disconnect the battery. The engine would only run sporadically, as if I had parked the car and left it alone.

Opinions?

We towed the Prius around town yesterday. When I set the key to "accessory" and went to lock the doors, the computer wouldn't let me! I guess, with no one sitting in the seat, the computer was afraid of locking the keys inside. The electric door locks popped open immediately.

K-R.
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

Nothing?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Are you saying you will tow the Prius with its drive wheels off of the ground (drive wheels not turning)? If so, why would you turn it on?

If dragging all four wheels, that is probably a no-go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #4

I assume the Prius cannot be flat-towed, so it will be on a dolly. My thought in leaving the ignition "on" is to unlock the steering wheel so it can pivot if the dolly pivot isn't enough. We had the steering wheel bind when we did a test tow. I figured that the Prius wouldn't use any gas because the engine shuts down when the car isn't moving, like at a stop light.

K-R.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

I still don't follow why the steering would need to be unlocked, however most vehicles can have their steering unlocked without turning on the ignition... you just don't turn the key as far. Even with push-button start, I would think there is the same partial-turn detent to unlock the steering, yet not turn on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

2001 Prius On Dolly

The answer is easy: Towing a Prius on a dolly, just turn the engine off and, once your straps and chains are in place, make sure your emergency brake is off. That's it. Nothing more. Keep you keys with you.
I'ver towed our Prius around the East Coast for the last two years with the Acme Tow Dolly, and I can load and go in 10 minutes.
Blue Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

The Acme dolly I use ADVISES that you unlock the steering wheel so the wheels can turn as if making a regular turn.(It's kinda neet if you watch the car out the rear window of your RV and make a turn,The steering wheel actually turns)(well not really,,the car makes the turn but the wheel actually stays still) Newer cars don't lock the steering anymore. but in my Hyundai I just turn the key on and disconnect the battery.no memory is lost with any of the settings.I lock the doors and make the final driver door lock manually.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote