Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

2002 Excursion V10

Since our family is expanding to 6, we're looking at a new to us TV. We found a 2002 Excursion 4wd with the 6.8l v10 and 3.73 rear end. Looks to be fine for towing our trailer and hauling kids, but I'm looking for opinions from folks who have had one. The one we are looking at is the Limited trim and has approximately 110000 miles. How are they for reliability? Any issues when towing? Any transmission or engine issues. We plan to keep our Equalizer wdh/sway control. Opinions on this vehicle would be appreciated. Gas mileage really isn't a concern as this will not be my daily driver. We probably won't put more than 6,000 miles on it per year.
Thanks for the input.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

How much does your TT weigh. I have a friend that has the last of the v10 made he pulls a 8000 lb toy hauler and he says he needs a diesel. And I know you said gas milage is not an issue but he gets 6 mpg when towing.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #3

Our Flagstaff weighs in at 7200 loaded. That doesn't include water, but we don't typically carry any.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

I am sure it will pull it ok. I was never a fan of the v10 personally. IMO they are under powered and a major gas guzzler. But if the deal is right for you and your family then go with it.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #5

Love Love Love ours, we have 85k miles, just regular service ect, and pulls are 34ft trailer very well, loaded with water ect, ours is exactly what you are looking at, just make sure you do a history report, and get any service records from the owner before you buy.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

[QUOTE=wyo700;237439]I am sure it will pull it ok. I was never a fan of the v10 personally. IMO they are under powered and a major gas guzzler. But if the deal is right for you and your family then go with it.[/QUOTE

you never owned one and you say it is under powered? Not underpowered and I own one. When towing, I dont expect 25mpg.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #7

I consider myself qualified to answer... having owned diesel & now an '08 v-10, also pulling TT's and boats all through my native state of Colorado (now Kansas resident).

The V-10 is not underpowered. It is a gas guzzler. My V-10 Super Duty has a 4.10 rear end so I cannot compare it to a 3.73, but the 4.10 pulls anything and pulls it well. I do think a 3.73 ring & pinion would give a few more miles on a tank of gas.

I got rid of the diesel because of problems. Always something. My elderly father and my brother both currently drive diesels (dodge & ford). Conversation at holiday get togethers seems to always be about all the mod's, problems and fixes to their late model diesels. Why on earth are these so called tough diesel trucks always needing mods and cool downs, warm ups, watch the gauges and little red lights, etc... Just too much fuss and expense. The gas V-10 just goes. Maintenance on a gas engine is a dream compared to the diesel. JMHO

One note on a '02 Ford V-10... Ford redesigned the heads in late '03 and then in '05 started building a 3 valve/cylinder engine (Excursion reportedly never received the 3 valve engine, so I'm told). Prior to those improvements, the V-10 had some cases where the spark plugs could be blown out of the heads. Proper torque on the spark plugs was key. Some people had problems, others did not. Even with the 3 valve engines, the spark plugs are a special, mid thread design where the electrode tip could break off down in the head when removing them. Motorcraft has a fairly reliable method for removal, but it is a delicate and time consuming process. I do just about everything on my own equipment but I am going to opt to have the dealership do the plugs on mine, so they break one they fix it. Only $550 for 10 spark plugs (ouch!) and $50 for extraction of a broken plug. Dealership tells me they rarely break one now that the process has been developed.

My opinion, the V-10 is great. Plenty of power. Not a whole lot worse than many low sulfur diesels on mileage, a whole lot less problems and maintenance costs and no stinky noisy diesel.
otee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #8

As I remember from when I was an auto tech the only motors with the spark plug problems were the 5.4's. They would spit them out of the heads due to the design. The 6.8 and 4.6 didn't have that problem as I remember.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours14 View Post
As I remember from when I was an auto tech the only motors with the spark plug problems were the 5.4's. They would spit them out of the heads due to the design. The 6.8 and 4.6 didn't have that problem as I remember.
I have a V-10 and a plug blew out....and I know a lot of others have had the same problem. Do the plugs @ about 60K and torque them right. I ended doing the insert for all the cylinders just to be safe. And we had a couple of 5.4 Expeditions that blew the plugs out along with a couple of 4.6's.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #10

The Excursion will pull pretty good as it sets. Most people that pull a lot and a lot of weight will generally get tired of the 3.73 rear end in the X. They usually swap it out to a 4.30 gear set. With yours, you would have to do that twice since it is 4WD. However, the feelings are subjective. If it pulls your rig like you like it to, then you'll be happy with the 3.73. I can tell you this though, there is nothing like the Excursion on the road. I've had Suburbans and they do not compare to the capability of the X. There is a huge forum on Excursions on the FTE website. Literally thousands of posts over there to read on any topic you choose. The V-10s are reliable engines, provided they have been maintained well. Take the serial number to a dealer and get and Oasis report to see what all has been done to it as far as warranty work and work done by a dealer. Good luck and if it's meant to be, welcome to the Excursion-the most capable SUV on the planet!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
The Excursion will pull pretty good as it sets. Most people that pull a lot and a lot of weight will generally get tired of the 3.73 rear end in the X. They usually swap it out to a 4.30 gear set. With yours, you would have to do that twice since it is 4WD. However, the feelings are subjective. If it pulls your rig like you like it to, then you'll be happy with the 3.73. I can tell you this though, there is nothing like the Excursion on the road. I've had Suburbans and they do not compare to the capability of the X. There is a huge forum on Excursions on the FTE website. Literally thousands of posts over there to read on any topic you choose. The V-10s are reliable engines, provided they have been maintained well. Take the serial number to a dealer and get and Oasis report to see what all has been done to it as far as warranty work and work done by a dealer. Good luck and if it's meant to be, welcome to the Excursion-the most capable SUV on the planet!
I have the 2 wheel drive xlt 3.73 v10, have pulled the same triler, except the brands are different names, I pull on steep grades in second gear at 3500 rpm..she loves to pull! Love our ex for the past 10 years..at 85k never changed the plugs yet, as I understand, it was at 100k?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #12

Sorry guys I am just not a fan of the v10. I have never owned one but have been around both styles and didn't like either one of them. And I still think for what they are are under powered. But that is my opinion.

You guys are talking about the spark plugs being blown out. I used to work as a mechanic actually went to school for it but found better money and career in a different field. But the last shop I worked in a guy I worked with actually invented the tool and kit to remove and repair the blown out plugs. He patented and sold the design to the major tool companies and ford. He is now retired but still collects money for his invention.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #13

To the OP: Go for it. The V10 is one of the best engines, running on gasoline, that has ever been mass produced. Smooth running, like an electric motor. If the Excursion you are looking at is at a dealer, make the deal with new spark plugs included. The 4:30 is a better choice, but, finding an Ex with this rear ratio is not likely. The overdrive ratio of the transmission is approx. .78. When in OD, the math is 3.73 X .78= 2.91 effective ratio..! Pretty tall gear..! I have owned 3 diesels and 2 V10s. LOVE the V10. Very sad that Ford does not use the V10 in the 250 and 350 any more.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #14

Just sold my V10 Excursion two week ago. Was a 2000 Ex Limited with the 4.30 rear end and 146000 miles. The V10 is a great engine. It is thirsty but like they say you want to play you have to pay. TT is about 9500 lbs loaded. Went to SD in July and averaged 8.8 miles for the entire trip. Also had a SCT tuner from 5Star tuning, used the 87 octane towing tune the whole trip. Never had a engine related repair in the 5 years I owned it. Replaced it with an F350 CC SB 7.3 diesel. Why? Well wife and I would like to go to a 5er and I have never owned a diesel so thought we would give it a try. To the OP, sounds like a good truck. Just do your homework first as you would with any used vehicle. Good luck and happy camping, John
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #15

I have an 02 V-10 Excursion. it originally had the 3.73`s. I swapped to 4.30`s. I towed with it once with the 3.73`s and it just felt soft and doggy. I already had plans to swap to 4.30`s so it wasn`t an afterthought. the X should never have been offered with 3.73`s, to much weight to haul around at a lower rpm. when I swapped to 4.30`s it was nite and day difference. the V-10 has plenty of power! I`ve towed my 9200lb loaded TT to disney and back. to the Smoky`s and various other places. the V-10 did awesome!!! never had a problem with mtn`s. never had an issue even keeping up with the diesels.

As far as the spark plugs go....if I remeber correctly they redesigned the heads (PI, Performance Improved) in late 01. my X has the heads with more threads (I checked when I did the plugs at 50k). the V-10 is a very capable engine when geared properly.

The only issue you will have is the soft suspension. I added a Hellwig rear sway bar and airbags. these 2 issues made the X handle like it should.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote