Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 34
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi question on towing

My pickup is new to me and low mileage, two previous owners. I do not have any info on it as to a manual that actually tells me the gear ratio of my transmission. I have the tow/haul transmission mode on the shift lever. I am wanting to purchase a Wolf Pup or similar camper, but I am not for sure if I would need a transmission cooler or not and just how much this pickup can actually handle safely. Anyone have a similar Dodge Ram and have any thoughts about this issue? I don't want to buy a big camper, but one that is enough for my wife and I. We have looked at some small Runaway Camper camper trailers, but my wife's idea of camping is a night at the Holiday Inn, so "minimalist" is not in her vocabulary. Also, our knees just would not hold up to always being on them in a small Runaway. We are looking towards going out to view Wolf Pups to see what is out there.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,945
You need to determine if the truck has the factory tow package.

Type III/IV receiver
Pre-wiring for braking controller
Aux trans cooler
7-pin trailer umbilical cord connector
Towing rear end ratio

Tow/Haul button may be standard, with or without the factory tow package.
And post pics of the driver's door stickers, especially the Tires and Loading yellow sticker.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 52
I had a 2004 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 a few years back. It did have the reese hitch but I had to have an aftermarket brake controller installed. I towed a starcraft 29 ft travel trailer that was 6500 dry. I definently knew the camper was there but never had any issues even towed in the mountains when I was doing harescrambles with my bike in the back. You should be fine as long as you stay within your tow rating.
HemiHemi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiHemi19 View Post
I had a 2004 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 a few years back. It did have the reese hitch but I had to have an aftermarket brake controller installed. I towed a starcraft 29 ft travel trailer that was 6500 dry. I definently knew the camper was there but never had any issues even towed in the mountains when I was doing harescrambles with my bike in the back. You should be fine as long as you stay within your tow rating.
Similar to above, our previous truck was a 2002 1500 with the 4.7 and a good amount of power adders. We towed our 2701 with it but not sure how it would have handled the mountains. I also added a brake controller. Ours had a trans cooler but larger ones are easily available and installed. Your tow rating is likely around the 7k range. Check your door sticker for payload. Rear end gears are what make or break the 4.7/5.7s as they like to rev. 3.92 is the factory ratio you want for best towing, ours had 3.55s. Manuals are easily found online to know exactly what you can tow.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,204
The VIN! The VIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You need to determine if the truck has the factory tow package.

Type III/IV receiver
Pre-wiring for braking controller
Aux trans cooler
7-pin trailer umbilical cord connector
Towing rear end ratio

Tow/Haul button may be standard, with or without the factory tow package.
And post pics of the driver's door stickers, especially the Tires and Loading yellow sticker.
The key to figuring this out is the Vehicle Identification Number, also called the VIN. This long number is on your title and registration papers as well as on the dashboard of the car, viewable from outside the driver's door.

Type that number into a "VIN decoder" which you find on an internet search. The decoder will tell you
  • The engine displacement (bigger is better for towing)
  • The rear axle ratio (higher number=lower gear ratio is better for towing)
  • Other towing features like engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, tow/haul transmission feature, etc.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FORKLIFMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: California SF Bay Area
Posts: 164
If the tow haul is part of a tow package then you already have Trany Fluid cooler. My 07 Durango with the Hemi , does, I bought it new. I will keep it till I die, life time oil and service, AND a life time warranty. Bumper to bumper! Dealer hates seeing it pull in.... lol...

Cheers David
__________________
FORKLIFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 6
https://www.ramtrucks.com/

Go to https://www.ramtrucks.com/ and register as an owner, you'll add in your VIN number and get all the info you need.
revoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,204
Great deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
If the tow haul is part of a tow package then you already have Trany Fluid cooler. My 07 Durango with the Hemi , does, I bought it new. I will keep it till I die, life time oil and service, AND a life time warranty. Bumper to bumper! Dealer hates seeing it pull in.... lol...

Cheers David
Great deal! Do the heirs inherit the warranty? Can I be in your will?
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 10
Same scenario, a year ago reinstalled a brake controller from mopar https://www.ramsareus.com/sku/82215040ac-fs.html. I second the motion to check your VIN for your capacity. I did actually exceeded the weight and had un uphill and downhill route but thankfully no damage from any parts.
pureheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500, dodge, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.