Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #21

We did go with the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch....dealer had said they didn't carry it so, we ordered online. Dealer said they could order it for 750.00, and was only going to give a credit of 400.00 for the Husky they were going to install (still way over priced)....I said no way....I bought it with everything (hitch head, bars, shank & hitch ball) for around 550.00
So, I feel more comfortable using that system (have used the equal-i-zer older system before)
Thanks.
the7thdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
...It does have the 7 pin tow package and we took it into Ford and had them go through the whole vehicle...including checking the tranny, new spark plugs and tune-up, radiator flush and new tires...
I do hope you put LT tires on it instead of P rated tires. P tires will let the tow vehicle squirm regardless of the hitch and they will wear out much faster. Voice of experience here.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #23

Hitch....tires & rear air suspension

Way ahead of you OldCoot....and research everything before towing concerning the TV and the TT.
Like to get second opinions though - just to verify things....can never have enough information when it comes to pulling a load. Even though I drove professionally for over 15 years....I can never learn enough.

So, on the tires I put on the TV. The tires are LT245/75R16 ("E" rated).
Now on the suspension, the 99 Expy Eddie Bauer came with rear SLS air bag suspension. I have checked the system so far and found only one thing that is a small concern ...if any. The rear height from each rear wheel well fender is off by a 1/4"....the left rear side is minus the 1/4" by 32 5/8" by the right side at 32 7/8".....I suspect it is Ford's self leveling "height sensor" due to people not shutting off the air system when putting up on tire racks and hoist. Gonna look into it further this week...And have considered converting it (changing) the suspension to coil/shock from Monroe, Suncore or Strutmasters. The research I have done on air suspension is that the older the vehicle, the more chances there are of air suspension failure and would hate to be stuck on the highway with an air leak, failed sensor, failed compressor, etc.! Even though it (SLS) does ride nice....sensibility & safety come first and foremost.

On the hitch - Just waiting for it to arrive and have the dealer install, while I watch to make sure they torque everything down per the specs (Hitch ball, Shank bolts, etc.) Putting the hitch system together and attaching the coupler after it is assembled is pretty straight forward....Measure, measure and weight, weight!...Over the years we have towed before so, I always have a check list of pre-trip and post trip items I especially do after and before every pull....Which I find disturbing when we have pulled in to RV sites and notice what others "don't do" before/after they connect/disconnect.

So, there is my two cents worth and hope the coming two weeks is peaceful. We pick the TT up in 2 weeks at the dealer and still have to drive back to our town 75 miles away over a mountain pass....in the desert heat where it is usually windy. This will be the first test of the new TV and new TT.

Safe RVing Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I do hope you put LT tires on it instead of P rated tires. P tires will let the tow vehicle squirm regardless of the hitch and they will wear out much faster. Voice of experience here.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
...The rear height from each rear wheel well fender is off by a 1/4"....the left rear side is minus the 1/4" by 32 5/8" by the right side at 32 7/8".....I suspect it is Ford's self leveling "height sensor" due to people not shutting off the air system when putting up on tire racks and hoist...
On the 3 Caddy's we've had with the self leveling, you can adjust the ride height by changing the length of the adjustable rod from the frame to the movable arm. Don't know how Ford does it on independent suspension. Might look for some adjustable links on both sides or maybe on one side only.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #25

2005-2007 Ford Tow Vehicles

My suggestion is too shut off the air suspension and if needed let it air up the bags to bring it up close to level. My experience is if you let it air up to normal ride height the rig can get squirmy on you. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409194412.368567.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	747.8 KB
ID:	61601

We tow with a 2012 expedition el. Yes it will handle mountains however ours has the 6 sped auto and 3v v8.
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #26

Hi OldCoot,

Not sure either but will take a look into it and see if Ford has any adjustments I can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
On the 3 Caddy's we've had with the self leveling, you can adjust the ride height by changing the length of the adjustable rod from the frame to the movable arm. Don't know how Ford does it on independent suspension. Might look for some adjustable links on both sides or maybe on one side only.

Tags
tow vehicle