Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
Coachman 312BHDS

2015 Red Lariat F350 SRW 6.7L Turbo Diesel

Looking at a different truck tomorrow for going to a toy hauler. It's Ford certified used with 20k miles and setup for towing. It's in excellent shape and clean as a whistle. It has remaining warranty. it's the 6 3/4 bed. KBB has it at $49k which is what they are asking with low miles. It has the 11,500 GVWR so 3,970 payload per brochure. I don't know the payload door sticker number yet.

What do I need to check/watch for as I test drive it and look it over closely?

Any other options/things/problems/etc. I need to worry about?

Is the 3.55 rear end a problem?

Manual locking hubs?

Thanks in advance! All comments appreciated.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Coachman 312BHDS

Well I found a second new leftover 2016 Lariat 6.7L diesel F350 with Nav and a sunroof in the area. They seem to have a hard time selling ones loaded up and racer red. They just lowered it another $5650 Jun 1 to $55k.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

The main thing you need to watch out for is not splitting your face with the grin you'll have. I bought my '11 brand new and have had only a couple of minor issues. But mine is still pretty low miles. It's a great truck, and that color red (if it's what I think it is) is a great color. I don't think you'd do wrong by either one.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

Just FYI. The 3.55 is not a problem at all. I recently sold my 2015 and it had the 3.55. I too was concerned but our total set-up weighed around 27,000 lbs. and acceleration and maintaining speed was NEVER a problem.

Interstate travel at 70 mph with the cruise set and it rarely dropped out of sixth.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Just FYI. The 3.55 is not a problem at all. I recently sold my 2015 and it had the 3.55. I too was concerned but our total set-up weighed around 27,000 lbs. and acceleration and maintaining speed was NEVER a problem.

Interstate travel at 70 mph with the cruise set and it rarely dropped out of sixth.
Yes, I did forget to mention this. I have had no issues with the 3.55. I've not traveled any bit stuff yet, but have had some fairly hilly rides. Even when it does shift, it does it very smoothly. It is a nice truck.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

Ford has a very nice factory extended warranty for their certified trucks and in my opinion it's worth the extra money. I recovered my investment in the warranty when they had to replace my radiator due to a crack.

They are nice trucks. Check the payload sticker in the door as the those numbers rarely match the brochure numbers.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Coachman 312BHDS

Thanks guys! I didn't get any notifications. I think I turned them off a while back and forgot to turn them back.

I found a new but leftover 2016 F-350 Lariat 6.7L Long bed SRW with more options close by and went for the deal on that. I had to do some rearranging to get it in the three car garage with my other toys and wife's car but it fits nicely. It lost a few hundred lbs. payload with the Ultimate Lariat Package (I didn't need the sunroof) and some other options but still adequate and it is real nice. Even a sprayed in bed. It is also a 3.55 rear end with the towing package and has the 20" wheels and 10 ply Michelin A/T tires.

Just learning about DEF. Seems like a bit of a pain.

Did anyone else extend the warranty? What is critical? I have gone though Anderson and Koch on the Ford extended warranties. It has a lot of electronics too.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
Thanks guys! I didn't get any notifications. I think I turned them off a while back and forgot to turn them back.

I found a new but leftover 2016 F-350 Lariat 6.7L Long bed SRW with more options close by and went for the deal on that. I had to do some rearranging to get it in the three car garage with my other toys and wife's car but it fits nicely. It lost a few hundred lbs. payload with the Ultimate Lariat Package (I didn't need the sunroof) and some other options but still adequate and it is real nice. Even a sprayed in bed. It is also a 3.55 rear end with the towing package and has the 20" wheels and 10 ply Michelin A/T tires.

Did anyone else extend the warranty? What is critical? I have gone though Anderson and Koch on the Ford extended warranties. It has a lot of electronics too.

What did the payload sticker in the door end up being?

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Coachman 312BHDS

3357# The used 2015 short bed Lariat w/o the ultimate I looked at first was a bit higher (by about 200#).

My brother-in-law pulls a 39' Keystone with a pin weight of 2100 empty and his sticker is only 1949# on a 2015 F-250 6.7L Platinum short bed. I think most of the rigs I see with F-250s and large fifth wheels or toy haulers are over payload. Some by quite a lot.

I can't get over how well that truck rides around the burbs.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #10

I'd recommend you get the Ford extended warranty. As you mentioned in your post there are a lot of electronics in these new trucks and they are expensive to fix/replace.

Dealing with the DEF isn't hard to adjust to and just about every place carries it now so it's not hard to find. Just be sure and put it in when the truck indicates it needs some.

Enjoy your new truck, it sure is a nice color and you'll be glad you got the F350 and the payload that goes with it.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #11

+2 on the FORD MOTOR extended warranty. Not a dealer sold aftermarket one, the Ford underwritten extended warranty.

You can find the contact information (phone number / website address in your owners manual under 'Warranty'.

No need to go through the selling dealer either. Just call them in Dearborn (toll free) specify your term of contract (I took an extra 6 years / 70,000 miles on my '14 Focus) and have your credit card handy.

All done elctronically. You can download the contract and bar code after you finalize and every dealer will have your name and bar code in their computer as well so, every Ford dealer can access your warranty and cover your issues, anywhere in the United States.

Took me about 5 minutes and a slight lightening of my credit card....

I would highly recommend an extended warranty, vehicles today are electronically complex and any issue that arises will be covered... and you'll be glad you have the coverage.

I figure one issue will pay for what the warranty cost me.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
Coachman 312BHDS

I have been buying the Ford warranty through a third party like Anderson and Koch on the vehicles I thought needed it. It typically knocks off the 15% or so markup the dealers try to get. We have a 2013 Escape Titanium that has every option and I know that EW will pay for itself. I know someone who just lost a turbo on a F-350 but the older 6.4L. The 6.7L seems to be a better engine but you never know.

I can wait a while to get it on a new truck. (yes this dealer was offering a third party one. I bet they really rake it in on that one)

Everything I own is red. My wife likes blue. lol

I am adding a few things to truck (very little weight) like a chrome bug guard and mirror covers, window vent shades, Weathertech mats, and mud flaps. It contrasts some of the red and helps protect. My wife said not too many FARKLEs.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:

Congrats! I have the same truck. 2016 F350 crew cab Lariat 6.7L long bed SRW in jet black with near limo tint on all side windows and loaded up almost like a king ranch. Mine has the 3.55 in it and there is no issue. I end up having to watch speed as it pulls our 33' Wildwood like it's almost not there. My payload is slightly lower than yours at just shy of 3300 lbs. You will LOVE it!
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Coachman 312BHDS

Thanks. On the interstate I noticed my speed creeping towards 80 because I was passing cars. I guess sitting up high and that torque contribute to it. It just doesn't feel like you are moving that fast. Our 312BHDS is just over 9000 lbs on the Cat scale loaded. The 2014 F-150 Lariat Eco actually pulled it very well but it was at max payload and rear axle weight. I adjusted the hitch for it (I had to lower the ball 2") and hooked the F-350 up but the real test comes next week camping and trout fishing.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 AM   #15

Quote:
I have been buying the Ford warranty through a third party like Anderson and Koch on the vehicles I thought needed it. It typically knocks off the 15% or so markup the dealers try to get. We have a 2013 Escape Titanium that has every option and I know that EW will pay for itself. I know someone who just lost a turbo on a F-350 but the older 6.4L. The 6.7L seems to be a better engine but you never know.

I can wait a while to get it on a new truck. (yes this dealer was offering a third party one. I bet they really rake it in on that one)

Everything I own is red. My wife likes blue. lol

I am adding a few things to truck (very little weight) like a chrome bug guard and mirror covers, window vent shades, Weathertech mats, and mud flaps. It contrasts some of the red and helps protect. My wife said not too many FARKLEs.

Why give anyone a slice when you can get the lowest price by using your owners manual extended warranty phone number (it's printed in every owners manual), all you have to do is read it and dial. Less people involved, less cost, less slices (same warranty).

We are a Fords family (A plan employee pricing always) and I cannot and you cannot get the warranty any cheaper than direct. Money well spent considering the complexity of new vehicles.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #16

Nice looking truck, I would recommend ESP by Ford, I got one on my new to me 2007 F-250 6.0 . my truck only had I think it was 42,000 miles on it when I got it. Well I got the ESP from a Ford dealer, I got the best coverage. I had to pay $150.00 for an inspection then payed $2700.00 for the plan. Well they just replaced my Turbo, would have been $3000.00 to me but my ESP took care of it. I'm ahead of game now with still 3 years on it...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #17
Coachman 312BHDS

I'll check it out. When should I buy it? (should I wait towards the end of the new warranty period?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Why give anyone a slice when you can get the lowest price by using your owners manual extended warranty phone number (it's printed in every owners manual), all you have to do is read it and dial. Less people involved, less cost, less slices (same warranty).

We are a Fords family (A plan employee pricing always) and I cannot and you cannot get the warranty any cheaper than direct. Money well spent considering the complexity of new vehicles.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #18
Coachman 312BHDS

I know someone who just lost a turbo on a 2008 with 70,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Nice looking truck, I would recommend ESP by Ford, I got one on my new to me 2007 F-250 6.0 . my truck only had I think it was 42,000 miles on it when I got it. Well I got the ESP from a Ford dealer, I got the best coverage. I had to pay $150.00 for an inspection then payed $2700.00 for the plan. Well they just replaced my Turbo, would have been $3000.00 to me but my ESP took care of it. I'm ahead of game now with still 3 years on it...
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
Coachman 312BHDS

The online Ford ESP is about $50 less than Anderson and Koch and $400 less than the dealer was asking. Crazy. It appears I can buy anytime before the 36 month war expires for that price.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:
I'll check it out. When should I buy it? (should I wait towards the end of the new warranty period?)
Anytime. The ESP Ford Motor Warranty kicks in on the day your Factory original warranty ends. Iwould not wait (personally) until the end of the factory warranty period, I'd buy it when you can afford it but sooner than later. When I put things off, I tend to forget.

Keep in mind that both the factory original warranty and the ESP warranty are mileage based as well as time based.

In other words if say, your original warranty is 3 years, 36,000 miles and you exceed 36,000 miles before the 3 year time period, your warranty lapses. The ESP warranty can be for various time durations and mileages and the longer time and more mileage, the more the initial cost is..

Again, the ESP warranty kicks in at the end of your factory warranty mileage limit or time limit and your extended warranty again is time and mileage limited, so, if you take, say, the ESP warranty for 5 years and 70,000 miles and you drive 70,000 miles before the 5 year time period is up, the ESP coverage lapses at 70,001 miles, not 5 years. (adding in the original 36K warranty puts you at 106,000 miles)

The warranty is in addition to the 3-36 factory warranty (or whatever your base warranty is.

Example, on my 2014 Ford Focus I took an additional 5 years and 70,000 miles so I'm actually under warranty for 8 years 106,000 miles. (original warranty included)

Little note.. I bought my 14 Focus as a Ford Certified used vehicle (was off lease) and was under the 3 year / 36,000 mile cap, so no inspection was required because the factory warranty was still in force and I bought it from a Ford dealer, not a used car lot. if, you bought a used, but still under factory 3/36 warranty from a used car lot, or private individual, you would have to have the vehicle inspected by an authorized Ford dealer before you could purchase the ESP coverage.

Finally, any Ford dealer anywhere will honor the ESP warranty. I believe Mexico and Europe are excluded, not sure about Canada (you can call them and find out, like I said, the ESP number is in every owners manual under 'Warranty Information' about the middle of the manual near the tire stuff....

We are of course a Fords employee family but (we) I certainly don't have anything directly to do with the warranty. I got it because my Focus is loaded with electronic gizmo's and I'm electronically challenged...lol

My contention is, with a new truck, especially a diesel, the warranty is like having a savings account for repairs and one repair can easily exceed the cost of the warranty.

Again, I would purchase it direct not through a dealer or third party, no reason to when you can call them and speak to a real person.

Every dealer or third party will 'mark it up', some more, some less. In my case, the dealer rolled in an additional 5% just for making the same phone call I made. Of course when I bought the car and the dealer (Varsity Ford) quoted me the warranty price, I passed. I already knew what I was going to do.

When you call the representative will already have you vehicle information at hand (when you buy a vehicle, all the info goes in Fords data base so all you have to have is your ID (I think they asked me for my physical address, e-mail address and the last 4 of my SS. plus, the rep will give you the time and mileage limits on each warranty and the price and you can decide which one you want and pay via credit card or bank transfer or send them a check.

keep in mind that under Federal Law, your emissions related hardware and software are warranted for 5 years / 70,000 miles with no deductible, thats Federal Law on any vehicle, gas, diesel, car, truck or chassis.

I know that was long, but it should address everyone's questions.

Not sure but I believe GM and Fiat-Chrysler offer similar programs.

Myself, I would never purchase a third party warranty, no matter how good the cost. Reason being, with the ESP warranty everything is covered (except consumable stuff like light bulbs, brake shoes and tires and it's a Ford warranty through Ford factory dealers.

Tags
diesel, f350