Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 04:39 AM   #41

The dealer sold you a used vehicle that has a warranty. He doesn't know how the previous owner used or abused it. Get it fixed and hope you have better luck . I have a 2009 Silverado 2500hd with 3:73rears on 80 k miles with no problems pulling a 8288ws 5er . Just change fluids religiously.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #42

Whenever you purchase a truck find out what it was used for before you buy it. If it plowed snow run away, if it was used as a work vehicle to pull heavy equipment run away.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #43
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
Whenever you purchase a truck find out what it was used for before you buy it. If it plowed snow run away, if it was used as a work vehicle to pull heavy equipment run away.
You will be hard pressed to find a used 2500 or higher that wasnt used for one of these purposes. That's why people buy them in the first place. Especially if it has a diesel engine.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
The dealer took it in on trade..probably drove it around the block and that's all. If it worked good for them they sold it. If it didn't they would have fixed it. After all they did give you a warranty, why wouldn't they have fixed it first? You drove it for 1,000 miles before you had a problem. How would they know? I don't think they did anything wrong at all they probably had no idea there was a problem
X2

2017 Cardinal 3250RL
2016 F250 6.2 Gasser, 4.30 Gears, Firestone Air Ride, 5 Star Tuning
Travelmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post
Bought a used 2015 chevy 2500 crew cab with the 6.0l and 4:10 rear axle in December 2016. I purchased it with 51,000 miles from a chevy dealer in Cedar Falls IA who said they had done their inspections and found no issues. After I had it for about 1000 miles the transmission began to act up. I took it to a dealer where I live in St Louis and they could not isolate the problem and told me to drive it. I put just 7000 miles on it (5000 pulling my 7000 rock wood 2618VS.)
Today I took it in and found out the 3,4&5 gears were "burnt up".
It is under warranty but I feel the dealer I bought it from sold me a truck with problems. I originally called them when I had the first sign of trouble and they told me to bring it back to them 450 miles away. Then they would no longer return my calls.
I guess the morale of the story is to buy a TV close to home If at all possible.
Unfortunately I couldn't find my truck anywhere locally.
I'm very happy with the local dealer doing the work and appreciate their attention to rebuild the transmission.
Anyone else have transmission problems with their chevy 2500's?
There is no way to tell how the original owner treated your truck. They could have been 1 of the many that feel towing ratings are always "under-estimated" and they feel justified towing beyond their limits.

Then again, maybe you just got a bad trans. Be glad it happened while still in warranty.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #46

It's not the engine you have to worry about. If a person has a professional snow plowing business and used that truck don't buy it. If the person who owned it had a landscaping business and moved lawn mowers and an occasional large piece of equipment that is one thing. If the person who owned it
had a construction company the tranny has been beat.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #47
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
You will be hard pressed to find a used 2500 or higher that wasnt used for one of these purposes. That's why people buy them in the first place. Especially if it has a diesel engine.
X2. Folks don't buy these trucks to be used as "grocery getters". There is another thread going on in this forum right now concerning CCC & Towing Capacities of trucks. At my count, 2 out of every 5 posts reveal that some folks knowingly exceed their limits, and justify it by adding air bags, helper springs and state that their diesel will pull it without any problem, so they're not worried. Buying a used truck these days is a crap shoot. Generally speaking, there's a reason why the owner got rid of it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2. Folks don't buy these trucks to be used as "grocery getters". There is another thread going on in this forum right now concerning CCC & Towing Capacities of trucks. At my count, 2 out of every 5 posts reveal that some folks knowingly exceed their limits, and justify it by adding air bags, helper springs and state that their diesel will pull it without any problem, so they're not worried. Buying a used truck these days is a crap shoot. Generally speaking, there's a reason why the owner got rid of it.
That's funny. Our 2006 Duramax is our daily driver, so I guess it's a grocery getter. And it's also very well maintained. Every RV trip, someone offers to buy it from me.

As for the folks all worried about CCC, I just smile. CCC number is a compromise number that the engineers, marketing, and lawyer types can agree on. When loaded for boondocking with extra wood, water, and fuel, we are about 900lbs over the stated made up number, but under in all other numbers. It doesn't even come close to squatting the stock truck past level.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #49
Insert witty title here

My 2500 has the same size engine that is used in the 3500s so yes, it will pull a large 5er with no problem. My frame, suspension and tires just aren't rated for the weight.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #50

Exceeding your tow limit is more than a crap shoot. If someone gets killed or seriously injured insurance company lawyers could fry your butt. It's not just the pulling but the braking. Absolutely buying a used vehicle is a crap shoot that is why it is best to either buy one you can put the extended warranty on or so cheap you can afford a new a new tranny or engine when they blow. It's just my opinion on buying a used vehicle for any purpose, it's not just an opinion when it comes to insurance companies.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #51

Ah, the old insurance/lawyers fear mongering. Myth.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I trade every 90,000 miles which is a out every 2 years. Better taken care of than most.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #53

Insurance/lawyer fear mongering myth? Why not just have a truck that is legal for what you need. Talk to your insurance agent or a certified mechanic about overloading. Or better yet come to PA with a half ton pickup and a ton of anything in the back of it. Pass a state trooper and enjoy the experience!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
Insurance/lawyer fear mongering myth? Why not just have a truck that is legal for what you need. Talk to your insurance agent or a certified mechanic about overloading. Or better yet come to PA with a half ton pickup and a ton of anything in the back of it. Pass a state trooper and enjoy the experience!
Neighbor and I had just loaded our trucks with firewood and driving on a back PA road. Trooper waved me on in my 3/4 and waved him over. Was noce, told him to unload half and come back for it...
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #55

Luckily all of us aren't in PA[emoji23][emoji23]

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #56
Senior Senior Member

In this day and age anything you mention online could come back to haunt.

If I was knowingly running overweight and had made numerous mentions of it on line. And in doing so pretty much thumbed my nose at possible implications.... I might start to think what could result if the unthinkable happened and you rear-ended someone causing serious injury. Could your public statements be an out for an insurance company? I don't know but I do know that they are pretty good at getting out of paying claims... especially big ones.

Running overweight? I would keep it to myself but I am probably over cautious. Heck I even carry a 2 million umbrella policy. Just a chicken little I guess.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
In this day and age anything you mention online could come back to haunt.

If I was knowingly running overweight and had made numerous mentions of it on line. And in doing so pretty much thumbed my nose at possible implications.... I might start to think what could result if the unthinkable happened and you rear-ended someone causing serious injury. Could your public statements be an out for an insurance company? I don't know but I do know that they are pretty good at getting out of paying claims... especially big ones.

Running overweight? I would keep it to myself but I am probably over cautious. Heck I even carry a 2 million umbrella policy. Just a chicken little I guess.
Unlikely to get your insurer out of paying but if anyone was injured a lawyer would use it in the civil case. Might, might not get a citation from the police. That would be nothing if someone else was living in your house.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
Luckily all of us aren't in PA[emoji23][emoji23]
I'm telling ya!!!
Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #59

I work for a HUGE delivery company. All of the new trucks that Freightliner is building for us has a Gm 6.0L with a 5 speed Allison transmission. I don't know why Gm does not do that in their trucks.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #60
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
I work for a HUGE delivery company. All of the new trucks that Freightliner is building for us has a Gm 6.0L with a 5 speed Allison transmission. I don't know why Gm does not do that in their trucks.
My curiosity has peaked over the Allison 5 speed behind a 6.0L gas engine, so I called my local GM SPO guy to get the skinny on it. According to him, the Allison 1000 Transmission (5 speed) was an available option from 2002-2005 in GM 2500-3500 Series trucks w/ 6.0L gas engine as RPO M74. From 2006 on this option changed to the Allison 6 speed known as RPO MW7 behind the 6.0L. He went to tell me that neither was a popular option because it added about $8000 to the sticker price because of the transmission itself, and that there were many mandatory RPO's associated with the transmission. He said customers just opted to pay for a Duramax and the Allison came as standard equipment.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags