Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #21

Diesel exhaust ??
what year of diesel do you have
i have no exhaust soot from my truck

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
Diesel exhaust ??
what year of diesel do you have
i have no exhaust soot from my truck

Title reads "2016 Duramax......."

.....and I've never seen soot coming out of mine, either.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
Part timer

I put a set of Rock Tamers on my 2011 Duramax and had the tailpipe cut and angled just before the 'flame arrestor' extension on the end. Ran them for about 5,000 miles with no problems. Traded my fifth wheel for a super C so no longer need them.
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ tow/trail ride
Southeastern Tennessee
BBC Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Cobra View Post
I put a set of Rock Tamers on my 2011 Duramax and had the tailpipe cut and angled just before the 'flame arrestor' extension on the end. Ran them for about 5,000 miles with no problems. Traded my fifth wheel for a super C so no longer need them.
It's not a flame arrestor. That setup is to pull ambient air into the exhaust stream to cool it. Lots of threads on it in the Dieselplace forum. Ford does the same thing with their exhaust tips as well, just a different design.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #25

Mud flaps for a Duramax

Duraflap.com they make them in house ,have them on all four corners of my 2011 dually since August 2010 and yes it's a Duramax
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shejam28 View Post
Duraflap.com they make them in house ,have them on all four corners of my 2011 dually since August 2010 and yes it's a Duramax
I have Duraflaps too - they are doing great. Great support, easy install and good quality.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #27

2016 Duramax Mud flaps

Tks for all the responses. Since there were so many Duramax owners who responded, a second question if you don't mind: It was relatively recently that I discovered a potential spare tire problem. My 2016 has 20" wheels but spare is only an 18"; looked at idea of finding any 20" to replace it but it dawned on me that it my not fit in the spare's circular storage compartment under the bed. Having recently had back surgery, I am reluctant to go digging around under there. Has anyone else gone through this and/or does anyone know if the 20" will fit? Thanks in advance. And since bowl season and playoffs are almost upon us, Roll Tide.
#1BAMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1BAMAFan View Post
Tks for all the responses. Since there were so many Duramax owners who responded, a second question if you don't mind: It was relatively recently that I discovered a potential spare tire problem. My 2016 has 20" wheels but spare is only an 18"; looked at idea of finding any 20" to replace it but it dawned on me that it my not fit in the spare's circular storage compartment under the bed. Having recently had back surgery, I am reluctant to go digging around under there. Has anyone else gone through this and/or does anyone know if the 20" will fit? Thanks in advance. And since bowl season and playoffs are almost upon us, Roll Tide.
Are you sure the spare is only 18"? I have 20" wheels on the ground on my 2015 2500HD Duramax, and when we recently had a flat tire, the full-size spare was a 20" wheel/tire. And that was the first time the tire had ever been lowered to the ground, so it obviously came with the 20" (unless my dealer installed it, unbeknownst to me.)

We use Rock-Tamers when we tow our 5er. I did add a stainless steel exhaust deflector to the front side of the right flap, to dissipate some of the heat from the exhaust. Available on Amazon for about $20.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #29

My 2014 DuraMax also has an 18” spare. The diameter of the spare tire matches the 20” tires that came on the truck.
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #30

On my 2012 SRW 3500 Silverado I bet the spare tire has dry rotted
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #31

I have a 2017 Chevy Duramax and use a more robust system from RockStar. They came with a heat shield. They also don't wobble like the Rock Tamers did that I had before. Very solid and heavy duty. Well made.
https://www.agricover.com/rockstar/
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I have a 2017 Chevy Duramax and use a more robust system from RockStar. They came with a heat shield. They also don't wobble like the Rock Tamers did that I had before. Very solid and heavy duty. Well made.

https://www.agricover.com/rockstar/

I really need to install mud flaps on my Silverado now that I have taken the emissions off, before it was the hot exhaust pipe that kept me from installing them
Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I am in the market for these as well....you may want to take a look at the Towtector. They make one that is specific for the Duramax and has an opening for the exhaust. I am not sure I want this "sweep" design the Towtector has but it has received great reviews by a couple posters on the forum here. I talked to a dealer who sells both the RockTamers and the Towtector, and they advised me they sell alot more of the Towtector, as most want more of the middle section covered than what the Rock Tamer provides. I won't be towing till spring so no need to decide right now so am researching it over the winter.

I did get several stone chips on the front of the 5th last summer, so I have to do something before next towing season. I have factory mud flaps on the truck right now but they are pretty short, so perhaps a longer regular mud flap mounted on the wheel well would do the trick rather than bother with a hitch mount type.

My 2008 has melted the Towtector bristles. Even with the heat shields.
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #34

Capt Mike, a day or two ago you responded to a post I made ref Duramax spare tires and 20 vs 18 inch. This site continues to baffle me and now I can't find where you did that. Any way, I confirmed that my spare is 18 and my other 4 are 20s. Since you have obviously been around this forum for a while, is there a tutorial some where on how to use it. Tks much, Ancil Hicks, COL, US Army Ret.
#1BAMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #35

I have had the RockStars on for about 5000 miles of towing. My 2017 Silverado Duramax has the exhaust pointed almost straight back. The 2016 and earlier ones were at more of an angle. I have seen no damage to the mudflaps or the deflector even thought the exhaust is pointed right at the Stainless shield.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #36

I wonder now that I have taken the emissions off is the tailpipe just as hot. I really need mud flaps of some kind
Old 12-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #37

I don't think your exhaust will be as hot Spock. The reason the new ones get so hot is during what they call Regeneration. The system dumps extra fuel into the converter to burn off the Nitrous Oxides trapped by the injection of Urea into the exhaust stream. I have been told that parts of the exhaust system can reach 1400 degrees although I do not know if that is true. I am just going to say that my exhaust tip gets pretty damn hot but it does not damage my RockStar mudflaps.