RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

2017 Forest River Sunseeker

Iím going to be hauling my car on a full size car hauler. Does the trailer require a braking system? I have looked at the Uhaul car hauler and the break system is for emergency breaking only in case the trailer breaks loose from the hitch. Thanks
Olderb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #2

Yes, trailer brakes are required for a trailer and load that size. I’m guessing the U-Haul trailer you looked at would have surge brakes, which are self contained on the trailer and mechanically activated by the trailer tongue pushing against the tow vehicle when stopping.

The quote below is from the U-Haul web site. Note in particular the last sentence. https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/HitchGlossary/

“Surge brake system
A surge brake system is entirely self-contained on the trailer and is activated when the tow vehicle decelerates. The momentum of the trailer pushes the surge brake housing forward. This drives the push rod that is connected to the coupler into the master cylinder. Brake fluid is then forced out of the master cylinder into the wheel cylinders or pistons that apply the trailer brakes. The entire activation process is completed in less than one second. Hydraulic surge brake systems can be used by a variety of tow vehicles and can accommodate a variety of trailer loading conditions without requiring any type of adjustment. All U-Haul braked trailers use a surge brake system.”
Old 10-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #3

That’s what I was thinking. So will the Surge braking system on the uhaul fit my requirements? Or should I look for a trailer that brakes when the RV brakes are applied?. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderb4u View Post
That’s what I was thinking. The uhaul won’t cut it, so I guess I’m going shopping. Thanks!
Why do you think the U-Haul car hauler won’t cut it? It has surge brakes, which is a proper, functional braking system for a trailer. Most boat trailers use surge brakes, too.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #5

Oh! Well that’s good news then. I was under the impression you needed a system that brakes simultaneously as the RV brakes are applied. Thanks again
Old 10-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Oh! Well that’s good news then. I was under the impression you needed a system that brakes simultaneously as the RV brakes are applied. Thanks again
Surge brakes do brake nearly simultaneously. When the RV brakes, the inertia of the trailer pushes against the coupler and very quickly activates the trailer brakes in proportion to the braking done by the RV. The harder the RV brakes, the harder the trailer brakes.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Thatís what I was thinking. So will the Surge braking system on the uhaul fit my requirements? Or should I look for a trailer that brakes when the RV brakes are applied?. Thanks!
The UHaul surge brakes will fit the requirement of towing, we have used their trailers to tow full size vehicles. The question now, is your Sunseeker capable for tow capacity? It would depend on what chassis combination you have. You have to take into account, the weight of the trailer, the weight of the vehicle including the weight of gasoline in the tank and contents being hauled. And. the overall weight of RV and trailer combination. So, it is not a simple yes or no.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #8

i have a tow dolly with surge brakes and they work fine you do have to keep them adjusted enjoy your trips
mr.dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

It doesn't matter that no brakes are applied in the event of a breakaway?

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #10

Check with U-Haul about the operation of the brakes. Since they apply when the trailer pushes against the hitch, they will also apply when the hitch pushes against the trailer. I haven't used one of their trailers, but I understand that to back up you have to insert a pin in the surge brake linkage to prevent the brakes from applying, then remove the pin when you want to drive forward.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Check with U-Haul about the operation of the brakes. Since they apply when the trailer pushes against the hitch, they will also apply when the hitch pushes against the trailer. I haven't used one of their trailers, but I understand that to back up you have to insert a pin in the surge brake linkage to prevent the brakes from applying, then remove the pin when you want to drive forward.

Yes, surge brakes usually have a lockout device for use when backing. But if you back slowly and/or not up a steep incline, backing won't usually activate the brakes.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
True, the surge mechanism has to be disabled to back up. We have used UHaul trailers and also have a boat trailer with surge brakes. Without disabling, the trailer brakes lock up when reversing. When braking when moving forward, surge brakes have a more primitive form of proportional braking.

There is some information on line indicating that being plugged into the 7-pin connector for trailer lights disables the surge brakes when baking up. UHaul may have that feature now. That is not true on our boat trailer. The pin has to be in place.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #13

U-Haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
True, the surge mechanism has to be disabled to back up. We have used UHaul trailers and also have a boat trailer with surge brakes. Without disabling, the trailer brakes lock up when reversing. When braking when moving forward, surge brakes have a more primitive form of proportional braking.

There is some information on line indicating that being plugged into the 7-pin connector for trailer lights disables the surge brakes when baking up. UHaul may have that feature now. That is not true on our boat trailer. The pin has to be in place.
I rented a U-Haul 12' utility trailer this summer to move a bunch of 2x8x16s this summer. It had surge brakes. It used a 4-pin connector, so there was no way to disable the surge master cylinder when reversing. When I returned it, I was reluctant to back it into the narrow space, so I asked the U-Haul attendant to do so. He did not lock out the master cylinder, but simply backed slowly. Since the trailer was empty, there was very little resistance and it moved without dragging tires.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, sunseeker