Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKC View Post
Thanks - I just KNEW that the RV'ers on this forum would know a lot about Jeep Wranglers! After all, it has traditionally been one of the most popular toads.
I think you are correct that the Wrangler has been one of the most popular TOADs for many years. Years ago, it used to be because it was one few vehicles that could be flat towed but it is still popular now because it is a fun, versatile vehicle. I find it interesting that every year, Consumer Reports magazine ranks the Wranger at or near the bottom of the ratings for all cars and trucks but at the same time it gets almost the highest ranking for Owner Satisfaction. As they say, It's a Jeep Thing!
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #22

Locate all the different grounding straps. Motor, trans, battery. Undo them and clean all the connections.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #23
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Duramax View Post
Reinforces my dislike for Chrysler products.
X2. I didn't think that anyone could screw up the Jeep worse than AMC, but FCA proved me wrong.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #24

Check your TIPM. “TOTALLY INNER-GRATED POWER MODULE” basically the whole fuse box under the hood. Lots of Chrysler vehicles develope problems with these and make them act possessed.. Google TIPM issues and see. It’s a simple fix just not cheap..
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #25
I like the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2. I didn't think that anyone could screw up the Jeep worse than AMC, but FCA proved me wrong.
Funny, I’ve owned a lot of Jeeps, and a lot of other makes. The last 3 Jeeps (2 JKs and a Gladiator) have been the most trouble-free vehicles I’ve ever owned, and each new one has been more capable than the last.
Previous RVs: 2022 E-Pro E20FBS, 2020 Airstream International Serenity 30RBQ
Previous Tow Vehicle: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB 6.4 4x4
jsalbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:48 PM   #26

A buddy of mine has a 2021 wrangler diesel. He had same "full potato" shut down like that while was driving it. Disconnecting battery helped for little while but started again. Turned out to be a computer module under the drivers seat that was bad. Dealer replaced free but took 3 months to get the part.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #27

X3 for grounds

My tried and true method is if it acts weird and possessed, it's a ground issue and if it just won't work at all it is a power issue. Guessing that the TIPM could have an internal ground issue which eventually would require a leap of faith to replace it. However, i would clean/dielectric/torque all grounds and then add dielectric to the TIPM connector.
Another issue has been loose fitting female terminals in the big connectors.
The problem there is if you stick something in there to see if it is tight, the terminal can then become damaged. Any competent tech at a Chrysler dealership that primarily works on electrical issues would be able to advise you on what size tool you would need to not damage the terminals. Almost all wire harnesses are mass produced and are capable of causing any number of issues regardless of any specific manufacturer. Good Luck!!
cr_miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #28

This Jeep does NOT have a tipm, it's a PDC. It doesn't process any information. Don't even bother with the fuses(I have gone round and round and proved people wrong about this), they are making contact to the pins in the PDC. You most likely have a BUS bar that has a bad solder point or corrosion. It could be caused by any of the BUS bars. Look closely at the one behind the glove box, take it apart and look at it with a magnifying glass.
You could just buy a new one and install it.
cbty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #29

I have 2014 Wrangler rubicon that I tow behind my 38' challenger.

On the issue you are seeing on the warning lights and such I just had something similar happen to me driving to the airport. First I had a few warning lights and buzzers go on, it was quick, included the anti skid warning.

Several miles later getting on the toll way lights, wipers,warning lights trigger 2 or 4 times. It seemed like I lost power for a second or two.

I have always thought my battery connectors for the jeep would not tighten down real secure. I bought a part that would go over the terminal to make it larger and hoped it would then tighten more. The part would not fit over the terminal. So I just took my time and tightened up the connector as tight as possible.

So not yet a solution but I'm thinking the terminals maybe are not tight enough and when driving it loses some connectivity.

I just did this over the xmas weekend and will see if it happens again. It is freaky when it happens. I'm the original owner for 8 years and 80,000 miles on it and just started recently.

let me know if you get a better diagnosis and fix so I can apply to mine.
gdcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Duramax View Post
Reinforces my dislike for Chrysler products.
So, you're saying Fords and Chevys never have problems? Yeah...riiiiight.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #31

JL

The wipers running on their own is a symptom of CAN BUS communication loss between modules. Something has shut down the network and the modules cannot communicate with each other.

One of the posts above referenced a module causing the shut down. I’d wager you have something like that, if it isn’t wiring or grounds.

I’d be curious what diagnostic codes were stored in your vehicle’s computers after that event. That will tell you a lot.

Have you had the vehicle scanned yet?
ericupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #32

Wrangler

How well do you know it’s history, you have to watch closely when buying used. You would be surprised how many vehicles end up in floods or with other issues and they get shipped across many states to sell and end up being problematic through many years regardless of mileage.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKC View Post
OK - maybe it's not possessed but it sure seems like it. We purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL New Unlimited Sport S 3.6L V6 to tow flat behind our GT7. This is what started randomly happening after just a month of ownership. It loses the electronic power steering and then all types of error messages and lights show up on the dash. Examples of error messages on dash: Service Electronic Throttle, Service Shifter, Service Stop-Start System, Service ESC, No Bus, Speed Control Messaging Unavailable Service Required, Fluctuating Gauges. The traction control lights come on. AND the windshield wipers start going and won't stop, the ignition button doesn't work to turn off the jeep so we have to just kill the engine with the clutch. Unhooking it from the main battery doesn't change anything. Everything still continues to go crazy. We found out that the Jeep also has small aux battery that controls electronics. The first thing we did was to replace both batteries so they are brand new.
There are complaints all over the internet about this but we can't find a solution for this. I've reached out to 2 jeep dealerships who claim to have never seen the problem even though there are MANY NHSTB complaints on file for it.
I know that many of us are towing Jeep Wranglers so I figured someone on this forum may have had some experiences like this. Any help you all can provide would be appreciated.... we considered shooting it to put it out of it's misery but maybe that's not the best option!
To me it sounds like there is a loose ground to the computer.
frankhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #34

Ericupton

On my Jeep experience I didn’t run my OBD tester on it afterwards, I should have. However I did use my Banks power programmer to adjust my tire size after getting new larger tires. I did this right after I tightened up the battery connection.

The banks system checks for codes but not sure if it lists them or just clears them. I think the hand held devices if I recall stay clearing DTC codes or something like that.

I’ll run my OBD in it today and see if any history. Wish I would have thought of that before the banks update

Thanks for the idea. If it happens again I’ll check it.
gdcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #35
Tinkerer and Putterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalbre View Post
Check that all the fuses are pushed in all the way. It’s a common problem for them not be be seated properly and it can cause weird issues. Also pull the glovebox and check the small white and green connector blocks in there. Those are the CAN network connections, used by all the computers in the Jeep.

If the fuses and CAN connectors are all seated then it’s possible that it’s the “fuse box” itself, as it’s actually not just a fuse box on the Jeeps. It’s called the TIPM and is responsible for pretty much all the electrical connectivity in the Jeep.

I can speak to this issue and the validity of the quoted text. Replacing the actual box is easy but it requires a complete reload and reset of the vehicle at the dealership to do the job. It was going to cost me more to buy the box, install it and have it towed for reprogramming than it would to have the dealer do it. The repair cost 1600.00. Root cause on my side was an improperly installed set of aftermarket lighting. The prior owner had wired his lights off of the hot side of the box. Extended use of the lights overheated the TIPM and pop! 1600.00 repair bill. I am fairly certain that was why our jeep was traded. Many people wire lights and winches off the positive post on this box due to how easy it is to access without realizing what they are doing. Hopefully this is not your problem but based off the section of thread I have read it sounds likely. While they are in there make sure they verify all of the chassis grounds as well. You would be amazed how many work loose, get snagged, or corrode prematurely. I personally upgrade all my chassis grounds to large gauge wire on a Jeep to reduce resistance and give me peace of mind.

Mine was an older model. It the TIPM is no longer in use in than it's about time!
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
I can speak to this issue and the validity of the quoted text. Replacing the actual box is easy but it requires a complete reload and reset of the vehicle at the dealership to do the job. It was going to cost me more to buy the box, install it and have it towed for reprogramming than it would to have the dealer do it. The repair cost 1600.00. Root cause on my side was an improperly installed set of aftermarket lighting. The prior owner had wired his lights off of the hot side of the box. Extended use of the lights overheated the TIPM and pop! 1600.00 repair bill. I am fairly certain that was why our jeep was traded. Many people wire lights and winches off the positive post on this box due to how easy it is to access without realizing what they are doing. Hopefully this is not your problem but based off the section of thread I have read it sounds likely. While they are in there make sure they verify all of the chassis grounds as well. You would be amazed how many work loose, get snagged, or corrode prematurely. I personally upgrade all my chassis grounds to large gauge wire on a Jeep to reduce resistance and give me peace of mind.

Mine was an older model. It the TIPM is no longer in use in than it's about time!
TIPM do not need programming, they are self learning. Unhook battery, replace TIPM, hook battery up and turn key to on for 30 seconds. Turn key off and then start car, done. I have replaced so many TIPMs at the dealership.
cbty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep