Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 01:49 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Ditto

We own a 2016 2500 diesel.

Rides like a HD truck. The DWís every day vehicle. She loves it.

There are no rear end noises. Vibrations.

On another forum someone mentioned lug centric balancing! Suggested the truck is lug centric. This was common 40 yeas ago.

If the truck is lug centric the average tire shop could not balance the truck! Balancing by them would do this. There is a special adapter to do lug centric. Most cannot do it.

Old English car guy. A problem for us.
I had the tires roadforce balance prior bringing to the dealer, one tire was off but they adjust as best as possible. Final outcome from dealer was, your truck rides better then our own shop foremans truck, advisor mentioned as I was leaving 'had we been the selling dealer we would just eat 2 new tires for you'. Disappointing Ram will not warranty tires on a vehicle with less than 1,000 miles. Ram doesn't really care about customer service I guess.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinmb View Post
I just downloaded the pay version of Alphaobd, got the bluetooth OBD reader but still waiting for the cable. Just found out 2018+ FCA uses a firewall. So excited to get this done and check out whatever else I may want to change. Thank god for this, getting sick of look at the Tpms light and the screen message showing low tire pressures.
If you have any questions or issues that you canít find the answers for on any forum, the developer is very quick to respond.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #23
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
Thanks for this thread. I had my 3500 DRW in for the same issue. I even tried explaining that my 2012 didn't do it. My dealer's response: "75mph is over the legal speed limit, slow down."

Sooooo helpful.

It seems to have gotten a bit better recently (we're at 18,000 miles). We were just in Amarillo, TX with 75mph speed limits and I didn't notice it as much.

Didn't do anything to fix it, so that was weird.

The other issue I'm having is that my automatic high-beams don't work. It always thinks there is oncoming traffic and won't turn them on. I had to disable the automatic feature in order to use my high beams at all. Same dealer's response: "we turned on the automatic high beam in settings." Completely ignored the problem I described.

Posner in Clermont, FL.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The other issue I'm having is that my automatic high-beams don't work. It always thinks there is oncoming traffic and won't turn them on. I had to disable the automatic feature in order to use my high beams at all. Same dealer's response: "we turned on the automatic high beam in settings." Completely ignored the problem I described.

Posner in Clermont, FL.
I turned them on when we first picked ours up and drove 1500kms home. The sensor would see any light, including red ones on top of towers, and see it as opposing headlights and the high beams almost never wanted to be on. I haven't used it since.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #25
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I turned them on when we first picked ours up and drove 1500kms home. The sensor would see any light, including red ones on top of towers, and see it as opposing headlights and the high beams almost never wanted to be on. I haven't used it since.
Yeah, it was a little aggressive at times but overall- I liked the feature.

It's definitely not working now though.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
If you have any questions or issues that you canít find the answers for on any forum, the developer is very quick to respond.
I made an appointment with a different dealer for Wed of this week. Yesterday during a 300 miles drive I noticed sometimes the vibration is not there??? Still could be tires, maybe axles, bearing. It is actually more concerning now. Hopefully this dealership will spend some time on the concern for me. Will keep you posted.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for this thread. I had my 3500 DRW in for the same issue. I even tried explaining that my 2012 didn't do it. My dealer's response: "75mph is over the legal speed limit, slow down."

Sooooo helpful.

It seems to have gotten a bit better recently (we're at 18,000 miles). We were just in Amarillo, TX with 75mph speed limits and I didn't notice it as much.

Didn't do anything to fix it, so that was weird.

The other issue I'm having is that my automatic high-beams don't work. It always thinks there is oncoming traffic and won't turn them on. I had to disable the automatic feature in order to use my high beams at all. Same dealer's response: "we turned on the automatic high beam in settings." Completely ignored the problem I described.

Posner in Clermont, FL.
When I got the similar responses you received from your dealer, I was floored. I am in the car business myself, worked in high line (MBZ, Acura, GM for 2 years). I did not ever respond to customers like that myself. Now owning my own shop we definitely will not do that. If they 100% confirm it is the tires and FCA will not warranty the replacement then I will replace. Not happy but what can I do. Will see how my visit go with another dealership.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 110
in regards to the vibration, I had a Gasser GMC 2500HD and had a vibration around 72 to 74 MPH, dealer gave me grief and told me not to drive so fast, because this is a family forum I will not repeat my response to him. On my own investigation and experimentation I replaced the OEM U-joints and upgraded them to high end aftermarket greasable ones, problem went away, just a thought.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
NV245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Carmel, In
Posts: 178
If the shop foreman has a truck that rides worse, have him show you. Usually, if you can get to the foreman, he is on a different pay schedule than the tech. Balancing tires pays a whopping 12 minutes per tire. If road force is involved and a tire gets replaced for being too far out of round, usually the FCA warranty repair gets rejected and the dealer eats the repair (read your warranty, tires are covered by the tire manufacturer). Also, ask the dealer if they have a NVH analyzer, not a required piece of equipment, but very helpful to determine what is shaking your vehicle. Also, read in your warranty manual for the number to call if you are dissatisfied, make some notes to use when you make the call(complaint, when it occurs, reference repair orders and responses, be sure you have your VIN and milage), and be as friendly as you can tolerate to the representatives that respond. Sometimes you can actually get a response from a factory representative (not dealer personnel) who want to keep you satisfied.
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinmb View Post
I know there is a lot of Ram owners here, need opinion. Purchased this new 3 weeks ago as a left over 2018. Nice truck but there is vibration from the rear at speeds of 70-75. The dealer is now telling me that it is what it is because other similar trucks are the same if not worse. Just checking to see if others on here had this same issue and did you get a good fix on it.


TPMS? Rear tires are set at 80psi, that is ridiculous when not towing. Has someone found a way to reset rear TPMS threshold to a lower number?


My number one choice was a GMC Denali Duramax but everyone says gotta go Cummins. So here I am almost regretting my new purchase. The dealer has pretty useless so far, most of the trim items they said is normal. Very disappointing so far.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.
I borrowed a scan tool from tracy and changed my tpms thresholds for my truck. Instead of oem psi they are all set at 45 psi. Now I run 50 psi daily with no light. Best mod I've ever done. As far as vibration take it to a different dealership. I'm in the same boat as you for what I have been told. I'm tired of the "it's normal". I'm currently shopping for a new f250. Website is below.

https://tehamann.wixsite.com/tracystruck
steelhorsecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
My 2014 Ram rides like a charm but I'm done with it. 46K miles and I would say it's nickel dime every time I turn around but it isn't nickels and dimes. It more like $400 or $800 for this repair or that. Two clock springs in two years and leaking seals and the dealer say sorry that isn't covered. I gave up counting the many recalls I have taken the truck in for. I'm not close to a dealership so that's time and money I really don't need to donate to them fixing things that should have been fixed to begin with.
Now alarm light on and the code wont show on the tool. Dealer says he will check it out for $130 and that won't go towards the repair cost. just $130 to tell me what the alarm light is.
I've alway had chevy durmax and switched to the Ram because I thought the DEF tanks hung to low on the chevy. Boy was I wrong. My brother stuck with the Duramax has a good laugh every time I have to go have something fixed or my good riding Cummings.
knapper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:32 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
in regards to the vibration, I had a Gasser GMC 2500HD and had a vibration around 72 to 74 MPH, dealer gave me grief and told me not to drive so fast, because this is a family forum I will not repeat my response to him. On my own investigation and experimentation I replaced the OEM U-joints and upgraded them to high end aftermarket greasable ones, problem went away, just a thought.
Man that is too much too do with a new vehicle! Glad you figured it out but still mad the dealerships don't really give a damn about our concerns!
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:34 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper42 View Post
My 2014 Ram rides like a charm but I'm done with it. 46K miles and I would say it's nickel dime every time I turn around but it isn't nickels and dimes. It more like $400 or $800 for this repair or that. Two clock springs in two years and leaking seals and the dealer say sorry that isn't covered. I gave up counting the many recalls I have taken the truck in for. I'm not close to a dealership so that's time and money I really don't need to donate to them fixing things that should have been fixed to begin with.
Now alarm light on and the code wont show on the tool. Dealer says he will check it out for $130 and that won't go towards the repair cost. just $130 to tell me what the alarm light is.
I've alway had chevy durmax and switched to the Ram because I thought the DEF tanks hung to low on the chevy. Boy was I wrong. My brother stuck with the Duramax has a good laugh every time I have to go have something fixed or my good riding Cummings.
Sometimes it is all about luck, believe me, I have my own repair shop and explain this to people all the time. I have always been a GM guy myself but bought a Ram because many people say the 'Cummins' is the best! Time will tell.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinmb View Post
Sometimes it is all about luck, believe me, I have my own repair shop and explain this to people all the time. I have always been a GM guy myself but bought a Ram because many people say the 'Cummins' is the best! Time will tell.
The Cummins engine is the best engine in the diesel pick-up line.

Now as far as the vibration from your truck when driven have you been on Turbo Diesel Register. COM and discus this issue on that site?

There are several knowledgeable people on that site, several ex-dealer service technicians and one or two former Ram engineers.

A couple of users had posted that they too had a vibration issue at speed and how they resolved the issue.

TDR was founded with the first Gen trucks and has been an active participant with Ram/Cummins over the years. Giving very detailed accounts of the new trucks and redesigned engine improvements, from the first 12V to the latest 6.7L trucks.

Just a suggestion to help!
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, TDR 135K+miles
Jim34RL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
wanderer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Niles Michigan
Posts: 210
Get rid of that piece of junk and buy a real truck. I would never put up with that issue on a new one. The dealer either fixes the problem or they would find it back on their lot.
__________________
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Surprise
Posts: 104
2016 Mega-cab diesel 2500 and it's smooth all the way to 80 mph. No issues after a year of ownership. I have run the rear tires at 70 psi and no TPMS warnings. I also would like to run them lower pressure but I don't like warning lights on my dash. Rides like a truck. Better than leaf spring rear ends but not by much.
Off Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
Get rid of that piece of junk and buy a real truck. I would never put up with that issue on a new one. The dealer either fixes the problem or they would find it back on their lot.
Of course a Ford guy would say that! LOL.. just kidding, the problem seems to have gotten better, still love the truck and the overall looks of the interior and truck.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Rez View Post
2016 Mega-cab diesel 2500 and it's smooth all the way to 80 mph. No issues after a year of ownership. I have run the rear tires at 70 psi and no TPMS warnings. I also would like to run them lower pressure but I don't like warning lights on my dash. Rides like a truck. Better than leaf spring rear ends but not by much.
Over the weekend, I used the Alphaobd software and the firewall bypass cable for my truck and adjusted threshold lower for the rears. Works good. No more damn light and message. 80psi when empty is ridiculous.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 87
Final update on my tire vibration issue. Dropped off at a different Ram dealership mid week. Got truck back Saturday morning. The technician put tire pressures back to 80 for the rear..service advisor said that is what it is supposed to be. Tech drove up to 75 and says 'It was good, no issues'. Well I am done with chasing this tire issue. It actually seems a little better but seems ridiculous it would take 1000+ miles for a possible flat spot to work itself out!

Anyways I am leaving the front tires at 60psi and rears at 50psi. Ride is fine and I think tire wear should be fine. I will increase rear to 70-80 when I am towing.
**So far with 2 RAM dealerships, I will 100% say they don't care about customer service. This second dealership the service advisor was nice guy, we had a nice chat but found my sun glasses missing when I got home, called service guy right away and now waiting to see what the service manager tells him. I now know why people hate dealerships, my personal experience confirms what other people say.
__________________
2021 Shasta Phoenix 367BH
2018 Ram 2500 HD Cummins
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.