Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Cab

I know there is a lot of Ram owners here, need opinion. Purchased this new 3 weeks ago as a left over 2018. Nice truck but there is vibration from the rear at speeds of 70-75. The dealer is now telling me that it is what it is because other similar trucks are the same if not worse. Just checking to see if others on here had this same issue and did you get a good fix on it.

TPMS? Rear tires are set at 80psi, that is ridiculous when not towing. Has someone found a way to reset rear TPMS threshold to a lower number?

My number one choice was a GMC Denali Duramax but everyone says gotta go Cummins. So here I am almost regretting my new purchase. The dealer has pretty useless so far, most of the trim items they said is normal. Very disappointing so far.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #2

Good luck with the TPMS issue. I have lowered my pressure to 40 PSI cold, and has really helped the ride, but staring at the low air icon is super annoying, especially on a new truck.
A couple different websites said it is possible to have the dealer reprogram the minimum pressures, but I haven’t been back to the dealer to check.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

Dealer can’t reprogram the rams. A program, AlfaOBD, can with a security cable. Search for it on Ram Forum. I have mine set super low, I can just check in the evic if I want to see what the pressures are and still get a warning if they get too low. As for the shake, there’s a huge thread on Cumminsforum about it. Some have fixed it, some never had. And it specifically deals with the shake at that speed. Good luck

https://www.cumminsforum.com/#/topics/1396841
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Hi, congrats on the new Ram truck. There is a thread on Turbo Diesel Register.com on what tool will help resetting the TPMS. Since this is a Federally mandated safety feature on your truck most dealers will not reset the TPMS to a lower pressure.

The earlier trucks like my truck had two different setting for a little lowed touch which was 45 psi and the normal loaded truck of 80 psi. But I think that this was eliminated as a standard feature sometime around 2016. The Feds said no to this feature only one setting allowed.

A piece of black electrical tape will cover the idiot light if you do not reset the TPMS set point. Works great on my truck since I removed the sensors from my second set of rims and tires.

Also on TDR there is a thread on vibration from the drive line on the truck and what was done to resolve this issue. Sometimes the dealers are no help they just want your money than good by!

There is a lot of knowledge on that forum some user have been on the forum since the beginning. I have been a member since Nov of 2007 and no plans on leaving TDR.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

Don't get discouraged. You'll get the bugs out, and be a very happy man that you bought a Cummins, long after you regret not buying the Duramax.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydunks View Post
Good luck with the TPMS issue. I have lowered my pressure to 40 PSI cold, and has really helped the ride, but staring at the low air icon is super annoying, especially on a new truck.
A couple different websites said it is possible to have the dealer reprogram the minimum pressures, but I haven’t been back to the dealer to check.
As soon as I find the fix I will pass it on, annoying as hell the system is set so high!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Dealer can’t reprogram the rams. A program, AlfaOBD, can with a security cable. Search for it on Ram Forum. I have mine set super low, I can just check in the evic if I want to see what the pressures are and still get a warning if they get too low. As for the shake, there’s a huge thread on Cumminsforum about it. Some have fixed it, some never had. And it specifically deals with the shake at that speed. Good luck

https://www.cumminsforum.com/#/topics/1396841
I have read into this, will have plenty of time to figure this out. Should be getting the truck back tomorrow from a disappointing first visit. We chose this truck for a reason, hopefully I can get all this kinks worked out soon and enjoy our next outing towing!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Don't get discouraged. You'll get the bugs out, and be a very happy man that you bought a Cummins, long after you regret not buying the Duramax.
Lol, lets hope your right. At first I was thrilled to pu this 2018 at a great price but this visit with the Ram dealer has been more than eye opening. Maybe I am spoiled because being a service advisor for MBZ for many years and now having my own shop, I am shocked at their 'this is the way the truck is', or hey these trucks use cheap tires, so there is no fix, and the best line is 'you know Ram is not known for their interiors'. Just disappointed Ram doesn't seem to care if their owners are happy or not.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Hi, congrats on the new Ram truck. There is a thread on Turbo Diesel Register.com on what tool will help resetting the TPMS. Since this is a Federally mandated safety feature on your truck most dealers will not reset the TPMS to a lower pressure.

The earlier trucks like my truck had two different setting for a little lowed touch which was 45 psi and the normal loaded truck of 80 psi. But I think that this was eliminated as a standard feature sometime around 2016. The Feds said no to this feature only one setting allowed.

A piece of black electrical tape will cover the idiot light if you do not reset the TPMS set point. Works great on my truck since I removed the sensors from my second set of rims and tires.

Also on TDR there is a thread on vibration from the drive line on the truck and what was done to resolve this issue. Sometimes the dealers are no help they just want your money than good by!

There is a lot of knowledge on that forum some user have been on the forum since the beginning. I have been a member since Nov of 2007 and no plans on leaving TDR.
Believe me, I have been on various forums looking up all these issues. I will sort this out so I can really enjoy this truck. Just not a good start so far but hey, life is too short and will not let it get to me too much.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinmb View Post
Lol, lets hope your right. At first I was thrilled to pu this 2018 at a great price but this visit with the Ram dealer has been more than eye opening. Maybe I am spoiled because being a service advisor for MBZ for many years and now having my own shop, I am shocked at their 'this is the way the truck is', or hey these trucks use cheap tires, so there is no fix, and the best line is 'you know Ram is not known for their interiors'. Just disappointed Ram doesn't seem to care if their owners are happy or not.
Don't take their word for it. Ask for a service aviser to do a ride along in a new truck.
That is NOT how the truck is, there are plenty of us (most of us) that do not have that vibration. Yes there is A thread over on cumminsforum about it. MAny have had the issue corrected by having the tires road force balanced.. Some changed tires to correct it, others played with the driveshaft. Point is, "most" of the time it is rectified fairly simply, it's just the wrangling with the dealer.
I would also try another dealer. I will say this, I love my Ram, but the Dealer service for Ram trucks, at least in my part of the world, is second only to a bunch of Monkeys and about as useless as one. It seems that is their FAVORITE go to phrase.. " They all do that", or " Can not replicate".. And my Favorite " COnsidered Normal" I went round for 1.5 years with my 6.4 2500 because it had a whine in the rear diff.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

I too bought mine as a left-over '18..it now has 3500 miles.
I haven't noticed the vibration. Smooth as rails at 75mph.
Love my truck so far, not a single problem...
Glad to see the feedback on tire pressures, I am still running 80, will lower it soon.
If you can, attach a GoPro pointed at the rear axle and go for a drive to see what is shaking.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
As soon as I find the fix I will pass it on, annoying as hell the system is set so high!
AlfaOBD to reprogram your TPMS. You need the PIN from the dealer and a security cable for the 2018s. My TPMS is set to like 50 front, 30 rear, the highest I typically have my tires is 60 front and 50 rear. I determined that using a load and inflation table and scale weights. Now lets have the Load Range and Tire Pressure Police show up.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #13

My 3500 runs in the 65 PSI for tires because even when not towing, I typically end up hauling something every other weekend for someone. I have no TPM light on. I think the dealer did something because before it would be on. I put about 75 in when Im towing the 5'vr
Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
My 3500 runs in the 65 PSI for tires because even when not towing, I typically end up hauling something every other weekend for someone. I have no TPM light on. I think the dealer did something because before it would be on. I put about 75 in when Im towing the 5'vr
3500s don't have a warning light as they typically have a TPIS, not a TPMS like the 2500s.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 09-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
3500s don't have a warning light as they typically have a TPIS, not a TPMS like the 2500s.
This is true, I forgot that. My 6.4 2500 had the light.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #16

Perfectly happy with my 2019 3500 diesel! And I have owned a Cummins! The power and acceleration is amazing. The drive is pure Chevy!😋
thompsonbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #17

Ok, here are a few things to look at. First find a dealer who can "ROAD FORCE" balance your rear tires. This is a true balance and usually fixes most issues. Next do a detailed search for ANY recalls for past Axle/rear end vibration issues. I had a Ram 1500 in 2014 that always had a rear shake and then Boom, it took out the rear seal And froze up doing 77 mph on 75. Come to find out it was an issue with axles & shafts. Find the problem early and also run full synthetic in your rear housing.
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
There is more than one Ram dealer. Take it to another and get their take on things.
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 CCLB DRW Cummins HO 4:10s
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #19

Ditto

We own a 2016 2500 diesel.

Rides like a HD truck. The DW’s every day vehicle. She loves it.

There are no rear end noises. Vibrations.

On another forum someone mentioned lug centric balancing! Suggested the truck is lug centric. This was common 40 yeas ago.

If the truck is lug centric the average tire shop could not balance the truck! Balancing by them would do this. There is a special adapter to do lug centric. Most cannot do it.

Old English car guy. A problem for us.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:46 AM   #20

Quote:
AlfaOBD to reprogram your TPMS. You need the PIN from the dealer and a security cable for the 2018s. My TPMS is set to like 50 front, 30 rear, the highest I typically have my tires is 60 front and 50 rear. I determined that using a load and inflation table and scale weights. Now lets have the Load Range and Tire Pressure Police show up.
I just downloaded the pay version of Alphaobd, got the bluetooth OBD reader but still waiting for the cable. Just found out 2018+ FCA uses a firewall. So excited to get this done and check out whatever else I may want to change. Thank god for this, getting sick of look at the Tpms light and the screen message showing low tire pressures.

Tags