Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

2019 Coachmen Apex 300BHS rear Hitch options

Hello,

As stated in thread title, I have a 2019 Coachmen Apex 300BHS TT. I am looking to add a hitch in the rear for a bike rack. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but this particular TT has very little I-beam frame to work with at the rear.

Does anyone have an experience installing a hitch on one of these units, or does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
topperharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...rt/C13702.html

Check out etrailer, they have other options as well.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperharley View Post
Hello,

As stated in thread title, I have a 2019 Coachmen Apex 300BHS TT. I am looking to add a hitch in the rear for a bike rack. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but this particular TT has very little I-beam frame to work with at the rear.

Does anyone have an experience installing a hitch on one of these units, or does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
Just realize that you have an ultralight frame so any such mod may void the frame warranty, if something happens.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post

Yeah I've been checking out their website looking at my options. I have about 68" from beam to beam, so the one you linked, unfortunately, won't work.

I'd also like to get something inside the I-beam, rather then mounted below it, as this trailer sits pretty low to the ground as it is. Before I took off my scissor jacks off, I often dug into my yard with it when parking due to how the ground sits, and that hangs about 4" below the I-beam.

I'm also not comfortable with a bumber clamp hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-35-..._t1_B0033WNJV4

I'm currently looking at this hitch and welding it to the bottom of the I-beam frame, but not sure if theres a better option for this trailer.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just realize that you have an ultralight frame so any such mod may void the frame warranty, if something happens.
The trailer is out of warranty as far as i know. Came with a 1 year bumper-bumper, and that ended last march.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks, I've been checking out what they have available. The one you linked is too short though as i have about 68" between I-beams.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-35-..._t1_B0033WNJV4

Currently looking at this hitch and welding it under the bottom of the I-beams. don't like that I can't weld the side, but this seems to be the best option.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
The trailer is out of warranty as far as i know. Came with a 1 year bumper-bumper, and that ended last march.
That's the factory warranty. The frame has a separate warranty from the frame manufacturer, probably Lippert. It often is for 5-6 years. You probably have documentation on it, in your paperwork.
Coachmen doesn't make the chassis frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
That's the factory warranty. The frame has a separate warranty from the frame manufacturer, probably Lippert. It often is for 5-6 years. You probably have documentation on it, in your paperwork.
Coachmen doesn't make the chassis frame.

Oh ok. Maybe i can reach out to them. There's a sticker in the bumper that says any non factory device installed on the bumper is prohibited and voids the warranty, which is why i want to use the frame.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh ok. Maybe i can reach out to them. There's a sticker in the bumper that says any non factory device installed on the bumper is prohibited and voids the warranty, which is why i want to use the frame.
I’ll be curious as what suggestions they give you

I have that same sticker on my Coachman Apex 288, and would like to find a way to mount some bikes on the back.
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post

I have that same sticker on my Coachman Apex 288, and would like to find a way to mount some bikes on the back.
There are alternatives to carrying bikes on the back of the trailer.
Personally my bikes are too valuable to risk them there. If I didn't have a truck, I would use a tongue mount system, like the Bike Bunk or Jack-It. I even would put them inside the trailer, before I would hang them on the bumper.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:

I just got off the phone with tech support at lippert. he advised me that any drilling or welding on the frame would potentially void the warranty of the frame, which he said is a 6 year warranty.

He suggested the front tongue jack bike mount, which I'm hesitant due to the extra weight on the hitch with the truck, and said I may be able to use one of the clamp style hitches for the rear. They generally recommend staying under 150 pounds for the bumper, but i've seen some horror stories of bumper mounted bike rack.

Not sure what I'm going to do...get a bumper clamp hitch and just put the lighter bikes on, or say screw it and weld what i linked up earlier and hope nothing happens to the frame. Tough decisions.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
There are alternatives to carrying bikes on the back of the trailer.
Personally my bikes are too valuable to risk them there. If I didn't have a truck, I would use a tongue mount system, like the Bike Bunk or Jack-It. I even would put them inside the trailer, before I would hang them on the bumper.
We are currently sticking a bike or 2 inside and the other in the back of the truck, but they take up a lot of room. the way this trailer is designed with the super slide, theres very little walking room without the slide out, so if you need to get something inside while travelling and the bikes are there, its a real pain.

Maybe i'll invest in some folding bikes we can use while camping or something.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
They generally recommend staying under 150 pounds for the bumper, but i've seen some horror stories of bumper mounted bike rack.
lippert suggested this is ok to use?
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
lippert suggested this is ok to use?
Guy I spoke to did say the clamp on would be ok for light stuff. Still not sure that's something I would do though.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #15

if you do use the bumper mount you need to reinforce the bumper/frame mount. Someone makes some brackets that bolt on for that reason, again etrailer may have them. Those really aren't bumpers, more like hose storage tubes, only 16 gauge seam welded tube, not very strong.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #16

Would you be opposed to a foldable storage rack the bolts to the frame ? Our 2018 Cherokee came with a fold up storage rack with 200lb capacity and I strapped a couple bikes on it once or twice. The brackets bolted around the frame leading to the bumper and not attached to the bumper itself.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
if you do use the bumper mount you need to reinforce the bumper/frame mount. Someone makes some brackets that bolt on for that reason, again etrailer may have them. Those really aren't bumpers, more like hose storage tubes, only 16 gauge seam welded tube, not very strong.
On ultralights, it's the bumper welds that fail, before the metal itself.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
On ultralights, it's the bumper welds that fail, before the metal itself.
That's what the reinforcing brackets are supposed to overcome.

These:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ck/MO22FR.html
Old 09-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
That's what the reinforcing brackets are supposed to overcome.

These:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ck/MO22FR.html
I'm aware of those but using them is considered as a modification so installing them may void the frame warranty, on a new RV.
It's something a new owner needs to consider. Some don't care and use them.
Kinda of like traveling with the fridge on propane. It's a personal decision.

Tags
coachmen, hitch