Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 44
2019 Ford F-150 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost

Anyone towing with a 2019 Ford F-150 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost 3.55 rear end and 10-speed transmission? If so, how is the new 10-speed transmission handle while towing?
__________________

__________________
2019 Ford F-150 FX4 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Surveyor Cadet 201RBS
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
st4
from south Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Crowley
Posts: 108
Fine I put it on tow haul mode and turn off 9 and 10 gears. Runs in 8th gear a little over 2k rpms and doesn’t slow down. Luv pulling with this truck
__________________

__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Pulling 6000lbs with my '19 F150 no problem keeping at 65 in the Smokey's.
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 164
I have a 2018 Platinum 3.5EB with the 10 speed and 3.55 gears. Tows great, I lock out 9 & 10 since double and triple overdrive while towing lugs the engine and when in T/H mode it rarely gets to 10, but will get into 9 and can get into an annoying hunt cycle with 8th. My trailer is/was a 2014 Coleman 274BH with a 7600 GVWR and ready to travel weight of around 6500 pounds. Pulls effortlessly. I sold it Tuesday and have it hitched to my F350 now to deliver it tomorrow. The only complaint I do have with the F150 in general is you HAVE to get the WDH set up perfectly or it tows squirrely. Once I got it dialed in though, rock solid and no power issues whatsoever.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 306
Like. A. Dream.

I got a 2019 Platinum (Basically includes the FX4 package) with the 3.5 and 3.55 gears. I upgraded from a 2012 FX4 with the 5.0 and a 6 speed. I tow a 2015 273 TBS. Dry weight is 5600 lbs and I would guess that fully loaded, we add a 1000 lbs? Plus I am sure I am on the verge of violating the holy Forest River Forums Payload Laws. Immediately after buying the truck, we towed it from Michigan to New Mexico, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Colorado and back. I could not believe how amazing that transmission was. It never felt like it was hunting or struggling in the mountains like the old truck did when it dropped to 3rd gear and screamed at high RPM's.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Like. A. Dream.

I got a 2019 Platinum (Basically includes the FX4 package) with the 3.5 and 3.55 gears. I upgraded from a 2012 FX4 with the 5.0 and a 6 speed. I tow a 2015 273 TBS. Dry weight is 5600 lbs and I would guess that fully loaded, we add a 1000 lbs? Plus I am sure I am on the verge of violating the holy Forest River Forums Payload Laws. Immediately after buying the truck, we towed it from Michigan to New Mexico, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Colorado and back. I could not believe how amazing that transmission was. It never felt like it was hunting or struggling in the mountains like the old truck did when it dropped to 3rd gear and screamed at high RPM's.
Where did you stay at in Bryce? We were at the Ruby's Inn, really nice place to camp for a week. This was 2016 when I had my 2014 with the 3.5 EB and get this, 3.15 rear gears. It ran up the IKE with ease.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Where did you stay at in Bryce? We were at the Ruby's Inn, really nice place to camp for a week. This was 2016 when I had my 2014 with the 3.5 EB and get this, 3.15 rear gears. It ran up the IKE with ease.
We also really enjoyed Ruby's. We loked the location, the biking trails, the ATV's, and the store. The site was probably the least desirable one we have ever stayed on. It was so tiny we could barely fit front to back (we were totally honest about length of camper, I promise!) and the width was unreal. We had to ask our neighbors before opening the awning because they were so close that they would rip it off if they drove off. Our fire pit was located about 2 feet from their motorhome. But we had a good time, our awning survived, and we didn't burn them down!
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Plus I am sure I am on the verge of violating the holy Forest River Forums Payload Laws.

I'm like you close to and sometimes over the trucks GVWR but it just handles better, and the 10 speed with the 3.5 just pulls away from a dead stop effortlessly.
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 44
Just wondering if any of you have the transmission skip a gear and seem to not find the right gear for the speed?
__________________
2019 Ford F-150 FX4 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Surveyor Cadet 201RBS
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
st4
from south Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Crowley
Posts: 108
No never for me
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
No never for me

X2
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 44
It only has 7,350 miles on it, guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer.
__________________
2019 Ford F-150 FX4 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Surveyor Cadet 201RBS
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
It only has 7,350 miles on it, guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer.

If your concerned that it skips gears as you drive don't worry mine will cruise along in 8th while towing then if I need more throttle for a hill it jumps down to 6, perfectly normal operation for the trans.
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mr Towed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 442
We have a 2017 3.5, I assume with the same rear end gears, but Iíll have to look into. Normally use tow-haul mode but it drives me CRAZY that if you make a brief stop it forgets it was in tow-haul mode. My other cars will remember stuff like heated seat settings and such when you make a brief stop (Iím guessing less than half an hour is the interval)

I donít usually have to lock out the top gears but our trailer may be a little lighter so maybe thatís why we donít experience the truck lugging like that.
__________________
Travel Trailer: 2004 Flagstaff 25LB
New Tow Vehicle: 2017 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost, supercrew short bed FX4 Lariat
Old Tow Vehicle: 2009 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab Short Bed
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:15Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #15
st4
from south Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Crowley
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
It only has 7,350 miles on it, guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer.
What is it doing exactly?
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #16
Tom Stauffer
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19
250 vs 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I'm like you close to and sometimes over the trucks GVWR but it just handles better, and the 10 speed with the 3.5 just pulls away from a dead stop effortlessly.
We have the 2016 3.5 ecoboost with tow haul and all the towing features. "tow rating" is for 11,600, but didn't think things thru and gained insights via this group. I scaled the truck and trailer and hit 16,140 lbs WITHOUT clothes and food loaded. So, add 360 lbs to be safe, adn call it scaled at 16,500. So, it gets interesting now. The Rockwood 8335BSS is about 9500 lbs. loaded. THe F150 CGVR is 17,100. Yup, I'm undersized for this trailer. The previous trailer was maybe 8,000 MAX, and the truck had ZERO problems. Fast forward to this week, when I was stopped at the bottom on a sharp hill, and the truck shuddered while climbing. Should have gone to lower gears. Anyway, I called Forest River, and spoke with the VP Sales, and asked him for honest answer, and he suggested a 3/4 ton truck over 1/2 ton. Now looking at the F250 with the new 7.3 gas engine. Will be way over specas and MUCH safer. I'm think about the mountain passes out west, and stopping while going down a 18% grade. The F150 wouldn;t be able to do it, but the 250 can.
__________________

2019 Rockwood Signature Series 8335BSS
2016 F150 XLT Super Cab 3.5 Eco-boost with tow/haul mode and Max trailer tow package
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #17
st4
from south Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Crowley
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpstauffer View Post
We have the 2016 3.5 ecoboost with tow haul and all the towing features. "tow rating" is for 11,600, but didn't think things thru and gained insights via this group. I scaled the truck and trailer and hit 16,140 lbs WITHOUT clothes and food loaded. So, add 360 lbs to be safe, adn call it scaled at 16,500. So, it gets interesting now. The Rockwood 8335BSS is about 9500 lbs. loaded. THe F150 CGVR is 17,100. Yup, I'm undersized for this trailer. The previous trailer was maybe 8,000 MAX, and the truck had ZERO problems. Fast forward to this week, when I was stopped at the bottom on a sharp hill, and the truck shuddered while climbing. Should have gone to lower gears. Anyway, I called Forest River, and spoke with the VP Sales, and asked him for honest answer, and he suggested a 3/4 ton truck over 1/2 ton. Now looking at the F250 with the new 7.3 gas engine. Will be way over specas and MUCH safer. I'm think about the mountain passes out west, and stopping while going down a 18% grade. The F150 wouldn;t be able to do it, but the 250 can.
Thatís definitely to much trailer for a half ton. In my opinion anyway
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Palinduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 178
Mine is a 2017 with the 10 speed, although I have 3:73 ratio (comes with the HDPayload) and I pull 8500 lbs (9500 when double towing with my ATV) and no problems. I usually lock out 8,9 and 10 though. I’ll drop it to 6th into a strong head wind. Great on hills and I drive at 90km/hr on undivided and 100 on divided. I can go faster, but why.
__________________
2017 F150 Eco Boost, SC, 8' Box, 4X4
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 26
I have the 2018 Supercab 4x2 with 3.55 rear end. I tow a 33ft Salem Cruise 282QBXL fully loaded (meaning only 200lbs under GVWR about 7,500lbs iirc) with a truck full of 5 people and kayaks with zero issue. My truck payload numbers are close but I'm definitely under per the CAT scale. I just stick that tranny in Tow/Haul and cruise. I get about 9-10mpg at 65-70mph and can get around 11-12mpg if I back it down to 55-60mph. The engine has tons of power and in the Tow/Haul mode on the transmission magically reads my mind and shifts right when I want it to to help with braking. That transmission is freaking brilliant!
24_Byron_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
... Normally use tow-haul mode but it drives me CRAZY that if you make a brief stop it forgets it was in tow-haul mode. ...
Ford can't allow enabling Tow/Haul or Sport modes, or disabling Auto Stop/Start, to be sticky. To do so would adversely affect their fleet CAFE ratios. (That is factual, not political. Let's not make this political.)
__________________

__________________
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L Ecoboost, 1700# payload
- 2020 Rockwood 2507S
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecoboost, ford

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


×