RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #1

2019 Ford Ranger LARIAT

I am just looking for advice from people here who will know about this truck. I know nothing at all about these. My son wants to buy it. It will not be for towing and will only be a daily driver. This truck has never been purchased, but it has 2,700 miles on it.

Here is a link to the truck:

https://www.koonssilverspringford.co...ER4FH9KLA85373

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 11-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #2

Sounds like a good deal, 2700 miles and never registered means it was a demonstrator and a dealer loaner/rental.
You will find Ranger reviews on google searches and a Ranger specific forum.
2019 means it is a 2 yr old model so figure depreciation when you make an offer.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #3

Sounds like a pretty good deal. We pull our E-pro 19fd (about 3100 lbs dry) with a 2019 Ranger Lariat and it does really well. The Ranger has a lot of power for its size.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I drove a 2019 the other day and was impressed with it.
Ford has done a great job bringing back the Ranger.
Sounds like a good deal (and I'm betting you'll do slightly better if you try) and you should get full factory warranty with it.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #5

I own a 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 with a 7500 lb. towing capacity. I live in Colorado and tow a Rockwood GEO PRO 19 FBS. Great truck with good gas mileage and the turbo pulls well in the mountains. Highly recommend!
Red350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Go to KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book) for a general idea.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #7

2019 Ford Ranger Lariet

Agree with all of the above. I have a 2019 4 x 2 Lariat with Limited Slip Differential. It too was a demo driven by the Sales Manager. All broke in and well maintained. Really pleased with towing my Flagstaff 25BRDS. Dry at 5300, loaded 5900 lbs. This truck has all the safety features that some of the other mid size trucks do not have for daily driver. Caution though, auto braking turns off under 20mph. Rear end is light, so with the Turbo engine you don't want to hit the gas when making a turn in the rain.! It will break loose in a heart beat! This truck is quick, great gas miliage and continues to improve it's ratings compared to other trucks in it's class. I choose it over Toyota and GMC for towing and safety features.
Mcdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #8

toad?

Can this Ranger be used as a toad vehicle?
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:21 AM   #9

I saw one at a campground a few weeks ago toad in.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #10

Thank you, everybody, for your thoughts and advice. This has been a huge help for me and my son.

I’m sorry for being so late in replying, but some things came up yesterday that made it impossible for me to do anything other than just check in from time-to-time.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrx View Post
Can this Ranger be used as a toad vehicle?
The 4X4 ones can be, the 2WD can not.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
Grammar Pedant

If I were on the Ford Truck forum and someone posted the following ...

My son is looking at a slightly used Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S. He's not towing it with a Ford. But, I was wondering if any of you had any insights to Rockwood trailers and if this one is a good deal

... then I'd promptly send him over to the Forest River Forums.

Want to know more about Ford Rangers? I'd highly recommend a Ford forum. I think you'll find that the best place to learn about Ford Trucks is at a Ford Trucks forum rather than an RV forum.

Not sure if cross-posting to other forums is allowed, so I'll not offer links.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
If I were on the Ford Truck forum and someone posted the following ...

My son is looking at a slightly used Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S. He's not towing it with a Ford. But, I was wondering if any of you had any insights to Rockwood trailers and if this one is a good deal

... then I'd promptly send him over to the Forest River Forums.

Want to know more about Ford Rangers? I'd highly recommend a Ford forum. I think you'll find that the best place to learn about Ford Trucks is at a Ford Trucks forum rather than an RV forum.

Not sure if cross-posting to other forums is allowed, so I'll not offer links.
The thing is, I posted in an appropriate sub-forum here and received exactly the types of helpful replies I was looking for.

I donít see the need to join another forum and go through all of the hassles involved with doing that when I can do it right here, in the appropriate sub-forum, then do a little online research on top of that.

Doing it this way was simple and it worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
Old 11-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
The thing is, I posted in an appropriate sub-forum here and received exactly the types of helpful replies I was looking for.

I donít see the need to join another forum and go through all of the hassles involved with doing that when I can do it right here, in the appropriate sub-forum, then do a little online research on top of that.

Doing it this way was simple and it worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
You don't have to join a forum to read owner discussions about the Ranger.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
You don't have to join a forum to read owner discussions about the Ranger.
Precisely. That’s how I did some of my online research. However, to post the question I did here, I would have to join the forum. I don’t want to join a Ford forum.

Is this really that big of a problem?

Bruce
Old 12-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #16

Hi There - i see you have the same truck [Ranger] and the same trailer we ordered. I would like to set up my WHD hitch but I don't know the trailer coupler height from the ground to the bottom of the coupler when the trailer is level. Would you know this measurement? Also I noticed my Ranger is 2" higher in the rear than the front, which most likely means a 6 t0 8" drop??

Thanks

Ron
Ron49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #17

Coupler Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Sounds like a pretty good deal. We pull our E-pro 19fd (about 3100 lbs dry) with a 2019 Ranger Lariat and it does really well. The Ranger has a lot of power for its size.
Hi There - would you know the coupler height of your trailer - we order the same one and also have a 2020 Ranger for the tow vehicle. I have noticed the rear end is 2" higher than the front - on the FX4. Did you use a 6" drop?

Thanks

Ron
Old 12-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #18

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Ron,

Not sure of the height as I had the dealer install my Equalizer 4 way 10,000lbs wdh when we bought the trailer. I did have to buy a longer shank than what came with the standard kit from Equalizer. About two inches, two holes more. Don't pay dealer prices. I'm sure you can find shank cheaper somewhere else. Check E-trailer or other sources. Just remember, your weight distribution hitch is mostly likely 10,000lb set up, check the shank size, most likely 2 inches longer than your wdh kit. Check with manufacture of your wdh. Here is the Equalizer install video: and

As far as level, I'm not sure how they determined it. I have used a pair of small magnetic 9 inch levels I bought at Walmart. Place them on the frame to check level both ways.

My main concern was tung weight. Ranger limit is 750lbs, the trailer is rated at 709lbs. So I followed the demo on how to install the Equalizer hitch. A lot of weight in the pass through and in the truck bed when you get ready to take it out. You can buy a scale or head to a weigh station to measure tonque weight. Some have suggested to get air bags or Bilstein shocks for added safety and control. So far so good without the added expense, near level and no problems as of yet. We're in south Texas so no steep grades or high wind. I only put in the pass through and truck bed what I need for initial setup at the camp site. Store heavy stuff under the bunk bed and the back seat of the truck. It's just the two of us most of the time. Add a cargo bin off the trailer rear bumper to help with the weight distribution.

If your wdh is Equalizer be sure to get some lube to keep it quite. I use it on my ball hitch and where the wdh bars are inserted into the hitch. I checked with Equalizer and they said not to lube on the L brackets on the trailer frame. It can affect the weight distribution.

If installed by dealer, the trailer will be dry weight. Be prepared to change it as you'll be adding more weight in the back of your truck and the pass-thru storage most likely. Or pack up everything when you pick up the trailer to get close to proper setup. I bought a 600 lb torque wrench because I share the trailer with the rest of the family. Enjoy the trailer. If a dealer installs your wdh ask if you can watch. I wish I would have filmed it as he had a few tips I can not remember.

Good luck and enjoy your trailer. Sorry I could not answer your question specifically. Maybe someone with experience will chime in. I added a few lessons learned so far as their not many Ranger owners towing this size of trailer.
Mcdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdoo View Post
Ron,

Not sure of the height as I had the dealer install my Equalizer 4 way 10,000lbs wdh when we bought the trailer. I did have to buy a longer shank than what came with the standard kit from Equalizer. About two inches, two holes more. Don't pay dealer prices. I'm sure you can find shank cheaper somewhere else. Check E-trailer or other sources. Just remember, your weight distribution hitch is mostly likely 10,000lb set up, check the shank size, most likely 2 inches longer than your wdh kit. Check with manufacture of your wdh. Here is the Equalizer install video: and

As far as level, I'm not sure how they determined it. I have used a pair of small magnetic 9 inch levels I bought at Walmart. Place them on the frame to check level both ways.

My main concern was tung weight. Ranger limit is 750lbs, the trailer is rated at 709lbs. So I followed the demo on how to install the Equalizer hitch. A lot of weight in the pass through and in the truck bed when you get ready to take it out. You can buy a scale or head to a weigh station to measure tonque weight. Some have suggested to get air bags or Bilstein shocks for added safety and control. So far so good without the added expense, near level and no problems as of yet. We're in south Texas so no steep grades or high wind. I only put in the pass through and truck bed what I need for initial setup at the camp site. Store heavy stuff under the bunk bed and the back seat of the truck. It's just the two of us most of the time. Add a cargo bin off the trailer rear bumper to help with the weight distribution.

If your wdh is Equalizer be sure to get some lube to keep it quite. I use it on my ball hitch and where the wdh bars are inserted into the hitch. I checked with Equalizer and they said not to lube on the L brackets on the trailer frame. It can affect the weight distribution.

If installed by dealer, the trailer will be dry weight. Be prepared to change it as you'll be adding more weight in the back of your truck and the pass-thru storage most likely. Or pack up everything when you pick up the trailer to get close to proper setup. I bought a 600 lb torque wrench because I share the trailer with the rest of the family. Enjoy the trailer. If a dealer installs your wdh ask if you can watch. I wish I would have filmed it as he had a few tips I can not remember.

Good luck and enjoy your trailer. Sorry I could not answer your question specifically. Maybe someone with experience will chime in. I added a few lessons learned so far as their not many Ranger owners towing this size of trailer.
Thanks for the info - the hitch is a E2 Round Bar 600 TW- 6000 max load. I inherited this hitch from the previous owner - I was also concerned about the hitch weight being greater than 600 lbs, so I purchased the 800 lb bars. I think I will try the factory on Monday re/ coupler height.

Ron

Tags
ford