Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #101

If buying used, look at diesel, if new, the gas is a better option, let someone else take the depreciation hit on the Diesel. I wouldn't buy a used gas truck though, only because they don't last any where near as long as the diesel does before they need major work to get their power back.

then again if going diesel, you have to go F350 or 450 to regain the payload lost for the heavy engine.

The Op is on the right track though, F250 with the 7.3 is a sweet truck, it might not be capable, or it might, for towing the 5th I have now, but I would definitely consider it if it can if I had to replace my 2012 for some reason. Oil changes on the diesel are freaking expensive.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
If buying used, look at diesel, if new, the gas is a better option, let someone else take the depreciation hit on the Diesel. I wouldn't buy a used gas truck though, only because they don't last any where near as long as the diesel does before they need major work to get their power back.
The years of that being true are long over...

I don't know anyone needing major work on their gas tow vehicle but there is no shortage of diesels needing warranty work or after warranty work (even on this forum) and long before a gas motor in a HD series truck shows any issue.

Around here companies with fleets that used to be diesel have switched to gas powered trucks. Local sewer and water company took my cities bid after switching to gas trucks. One of the larger construction companies near me switched everything under 3500 series trucks to gas. He does work on my companies building and said they were tired of the down time associated with the new 'crap' that comes with modern diesels. A friend of mine used to organized the maintenance and repair of a fleet of diesel trucks...they switched to gas and couldn't be happier. I saw a post on here somewhere about a guy with a hotshot business...they switched to gas and were pleased with the results. When cost and reliability are important its becoming an easy decision.

I wanted a diesel when it was time to buy my current truck so I searched my butt off looking for longevity in the modern diesel and it was rare to find them with 200k trouble free miles. I could have written the check for a diesel same as the gas truck...my number one requirement was reliability and a modern diesel no longer provides that...

The modern diesel is not a trouble free experience over the long haul and they have a 2.5 to 4.5 more downtime days per year than gas vehicles according to Bob Stanton (independent fleet consultant with 39 years fleet management experience)
Old 11-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

The 7.3 peak horsepower and torque are not THAT much great than the 6.2 IMO. But, I think you would notice a more significant difference in the critical 1,800 to 2,300 RPM area. There I think the 7.3 would outperform the 6.2 more substantially.

Whatever you do, get 4.30 gears.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
The 7.3 peak horsepower and torque are not THAT much great than the 6.2 IMO. But, I think you would notice a more significant difference in the critical 1,800 to 2,300 RPM area. There I think the 7.3 would outperform the 6.2 more substantially.

Whatever you do, get 4.30 gears.
That is what makes the 7.3 a better choice. It doesn't have to rev up to 5K to get the torque out of it. They put the torque down low into Diesel territory, like how the EB does it. They also have it so it is easy to repair, and not overly complicated with a single cam, but still with variable valve timing. Ideal choice if looking for a gas model out of any of the big three.

As far as longevity goes, that all depends on how it was used. If towing heavy, I doubt it will last anywhere near the life of a diesel. If just used to go from place to place, well, yeah it can last. Diesel like to be worked hard, and just the opposite can be applied. Lightly used Diesels don't last as long as hard worked ones. Well maintained hard worked ones can easily last 500K or more before needing work. The issues that most modern diesels have is the sensitive fuel systems and the emission controls. Keep them clean and dry and they last a good long time. If it is deleted then it can easily go a lot longer. But as with anything, if you don't know it's history, how it was used and maintained, its a crap shoot.

If looking for a used 1 ton and they have 150,000 miles on them, I would much rather get one with a diesel, than a gas, only because the diesel is just broken in. The gas may or may not be good for another 150K, not enough information available on longevity only because there are so few gas models out there. I found none when looking.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #105

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The Fast Lane aka TFL did a test on the Ike Gauntlent. Check it out for real world towing review.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:56 AM   #106

Quote:

As far as longevity goes, that all depends on how it was used. If towing heavy, I doubt it will last anywhere near the life of a diesel. If just used to go from place to place, well, yeah it can last. Diesel like to be worked hard, and just the opposite can be applied. Lightly used Diesels don't last as long as hard worked ones. Well maintained hard worked ones can easily last 500K or more before needing work. The issues that most modern diesels have is the sensitive fuel systems and the emission controls. Keep them clean and dry and they last a good long time. If it is deleted then it can easily go a lot longer. But as with anything, if you don't know it's history, how it was used and maintained, its a crap shoot.

If looking for a used 1 ton and they have 150,000 miles on them, I would much rather get one with a diesel, than a gas, only because the diesel is just broken in. The gas may or may not be good for another 150K, not enough information available on longevity only because there are so few gas models out there. I found none when looking.

Not even the diesel fan boys on the Ford 6.7 forum believe that bs ^...why don't you go to the 6.7 forum and tell all the owners on the first page dumping big money into their diesel how many more miles they will have trouble free. Maybe they need to spend all that money before 150k break in miles to make it trouble free?

Go check out the 6.0 Chevy gas forum and do a quick mileage comparison for needing some work done...then compare the price.

After all that please leave this thread to gas motors.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #107

Quote:
That is what makes the 7.3 a better choice. It doesn't have to rev up to 5K to get the torque out of it. They put the torque down low into Diesel territory, like how the EB does it. They also have it so it is easy to repair, and not overly complicated with a single cam, but still with variable valve timing. Ideal choice if looking for a gas model out of any of the big three.

What The OP has in his signture is not overly heavy and both the 6.2 and 7.3 are awesome motors. Obviously if one could choose and price isnt a factor, then the 7.3 would probably be a better choice and give them more room in the future to upgrade if they chose to. I get diesel recommendation cause I had a Gas 2500 and it really wasnt happy towing in the hills and mountains where I wanted to go. I will never go back to a gas engine for what I am towing and where I am towing it,just doesnt cut it in my book. But for what the OP is wanting its a fine choice. Hard to go wrong with plain ole simplicity and that 7.3 has that if he doesnt need the diesel for towing heavy.The father of one of my Sons friends has one and he raves about it, But it was dang near the price of the 6.7 which blew me away.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
What The OP has in his signture is not overly heavy and both the 6.2 and 7.3 are awesome motors.
Our 6.2 with 4.30's pulls our 11K 5er just fine. Yep, we've been up the Ike Gauntlet. We will be getting the 7.3 next time around.

Quote:
But it was dang near the price of the 6.7 which blew me away.
Well. . . the 7.3 is about $1,700 over the 6.2 on an F350. It's more on an F250 because it then also includes the step-up to a 10 speed vs the 6 speed. 10 speed is standard on an F350 with ANY engine.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
The years of that being true are long over...

I don't know anyone needing major work on their gas tow vehicle but there is no shortage of diesels needing warranty work or after warranty work (even on this forum) and long before a gas motor in a HD series truck shows any issue.

Around here companies with fleets that used to be diesel have switched to gas powered trucks. Local sewer and water company took my cities bid after switching to gas trucks. One of the larger construction companies near me switched everything under 3500 series trucks to gas. He does work on my companies building and said they were tired of the down time associated with the new 'crap' that comes with modern diesels. A friend of mine used to organized the maintenance and repair of a fleet of diesel trucks...they switched to gas and couldn't be happier. I saw a post on here somewhere about a guy with a hotshot business...they switched to gas and were pleased with the results. When cost and reliability are important its becoming an easy decision.

I wanted a diesel when it was time to buy my current truck so I searched my butt off looking for longevity in the modern diesel and it was rare to find them with 200k trouble free miles. I could have written the check for a diesel same as the gas truck...my number one requirement was reliability and a modern diesel no longer provides that...

The modern diesel is not a trouble free experience over the long haul and they have a 2.5 to 4.5 more downtime days per year than gas vehicles according to Bob Stanton (independent fleet consultant with 39 years fleet management experience)
Very true, but you’ll have a hard time convincing a lot of people. I currently own a 2019 F450 6.7PSD and a 2018 F150 EB. The F450 had extensive exhaust system repairs at less than 6k under warranty. Had a 2015 F250 PSD that had the entire DEF tank assembly replaced at around 18K. The only reason to buy a new diesel is if you need the extra towing capability. The longevity argument is no longer valid. Well, the engine itself will likely last hundreds of thousands of miles, but you’ll be forced to make expensive repairs on all the emissions crap bolted to them along the way.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #110

Quote:
What The OP has in his signture is not overly heavy and both the 6.2 and 7.3 are awesome motors. Obviously if one could choose and price isnt a factor, then the 7.3 would probably be a better choice and give them more room in the future to upgrade if they chose to. I get diesel recommendation cause I had a Gas 2500 and it really wasnt happy towing in the hills and mountains where I wanted to go. I will never go back to a gas engine for what I am towing and where I am towing it,just doesnt cut it in my book. But for what the OP is wanting its a fine choice. Hard to go wrong with plain ole simplicity and that 7.3 has that if he doesnt need the diesel for towing heavy.The father of one of my Sons friends has one and he raves about it, But it was dang near the price of the 6.7 which blew me away.

F-250 XLT the 7.3 is $2,045, the PSD is $10,495. Might want to avoid that dealer where you saw the 7.3 near the PSD price. F-350 is $1,705 for the 7.3, the PSD is the same as the F-250. It's slightly cheaper than upgrading to the 3.5 EB in the F-150.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Our 6.2 with 4.30's pulls our 11K 5er just fine. Yep, we've been up the Ike Gauntlet. We will be getting the 7.3 next time around.

Well. . . the 7.3 is about $1,700 over the 6.2 on an F350. It's more on an F250 because it then also includes the step-up to a 10 speed vs the 6 speed. 10 speed is standard on an F350 with ANY engine.
Yea i think up to 11K +/-and the gas with 4.30s would be an O.k match
Old 11-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #112

Quote:
F-250 XLT the 7.3 is $2,045, the PSD is $10,495. Might want to avoid that dealer where you saw the 7.3 near the PSD price. F-350 is $1,705 for the 7.3, the PSD is the same as the F-250. It's slightly cheaper than upgrading to the 3.5 EB in the F-150.
Yea he bought it, not me..L But there was a supply issue in his neck of the woods and the few on the lot had premium prices because they were rare when first introduced and he wanted it anyway, so probably would have done better ordering and waiting!
Old 11-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #113

AHHH the Gotta Have it Moment
Old 11-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #114

Quote:
AHHH the Gotta Have it Moment
I usually fall into the same trap, just smaller items like reese cups!

Tags
f250, ford, gas