Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

2020 Rockwood 2781 Unlevel Towing

I have a 2020 Rockwood Ultra-lite 2781WS that doesn't tow level. I recently had a scary sway occurrence while towing on a straight road at about 70MPH. The trailer has the Turning Point pin box. The truck is a 2019 Chevy 2500HD and is maybe 2" higher in the rear than stock due to leveling kit and larger tires. I'm sure that 2020 Ford Tremors and Power Wagons would have a similar height. I can't lower the 5th wheel hitch as I'll have to little clearance between the truck bed and the trailer.

I can't explain the recent sway occurrence but am leaning towards several possible causes.

1) The rear storage tray was loaded with a generator and 14 gallons of water, about 200 pounds. Fresh water tank was also full and it's in the rear of the trailer.

2) The trailer rides nose high. Has anyone put larger rims/tires to raise the trailer? This would allow the nose to ride lower.

3) I want to double pull a 2,400 pound RZR/Aluminum trailer so really want to establish some confidence that this scary sway event won't occur again.
TAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, Sounds like all of that weight in rear of the trailer had a lot to do with your sway,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

It's odd because all that is straight from the factory. Maybe combined with the nose high attitude? I've towed this trailer about 6,000 miles and on the interstate at 75MPH+ and never had this sway occur. Really scared me as I was used to the rock solid stability of the 5th wheel.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

Most would recommend Not having the fresh water tank full unless you're boon docking, Was it a windyday? Cross wind ? Truck passing? I've heard people moving the axles to below the springs to gain some height on the trailer.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #5

Sounds like nose high, plus extra weight in the rear, caused not enough pin weight resulting in sway. I wouldn't even think of towing double with your current setup.
Lower truck, raise trailer, shift weight.
My trailer is 1" nose high after all the adjustments are maxxed out. My 60gal fresh tank is also in the rear of the trailer (stupid design). I used to feel a difference in towing when full. Moving to stiffer tires (load range G 14 ply) in my case removed any hint of sway when fresh is full. Semi passing us has no affect.
When travelling for boondocking (fresh full), I put all extra water and fuel jugs in the pickup bed. Generators in the front basement area of RV. No extra weight in rear of trailer but factory tank.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #6

Usually I gotta fill the tank as we don't do campgrounds much.

No winds, straight nice highway, no passing trucks. I thought a tire blew or something catastrophic.

Has those torsion rubber axles so not sure I can tweak the axle position to gain height. Pretty sure larger diameter rims/tires are the only route.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #7

I gotta try and double pull, just bought the RZR and trailer is brand new too.

Thinking I'll remove the back cargo platform as even when empty it probably weighs 70-100 pounds.

Maybe different/taller rims/tires which would allow me to lower the 5th wheel hitch setting.

Yes all heavy fuels/water/generator will go in bed of truck and/or FWD pass-through storage.

Even thought about 60 gallon water tank that could be mounted in the FWD pass-through then transfer to back tank via pump when set up.

Thoughts?? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:20 PM   #8

I don't go over 60 while towing. I am in no hurry and stop at almost every rest stop.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Retired Army MSG!

Regardless of tire speed ratings. 70 and above in my humble opinion is too fast to tow. The only time I how over 65 is a passing situation on the interstate. Speed and unbalanced load is a sway issue within itself.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #10

Towing

Too fast and on factory tires w/ nose high position w/ 1500 lb. plus on the back end. All recipes for sway. If you put bigger tires and wheels on the trailer, go up in load rating also. Make sure you have enough space, especially between the 2 tires. Safe minimum is 3"+ w/ torsion axles. I would not tow at 75 MPH, not safe to anyone. I have seen the side of a trailer destroyed from a blow-out at that speed.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #11

Thanks appreciate the advice. I'll definitely go to an F or G rated tire and will keep the spacing in mind. There was only 200 pounds loaded on the rear cargo platform with 60 gallons of fresh water in the rear holding tank at the time this happened. Really strange as this is the only time I've experienced this and have towed all over at 75MPH on the interstate. Your comment about safe towing speed is appreciated, I'm gonna slow down in the future.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #12

I had a Rockwood Ultralight 2602 that used to have this exact same problem. It wasn't a 5er but still misbehaved exactly as described by the OP. I, too, had a full fresh water tank in the rear of the trailer when we towed from Golden CO to Fort Worth TX. That was a nightmare I would definitely prefer not to repeat. We made it to Vernon before it dawned on me what the problem was and drained the tank. After that, the tow improved dramatically. It was very windy. Our current trailer has the water tank in the front (which only has about 5 gallons for toilet flushing for the trip), which pushed the tongue weight too high when full (965 lbs). Dump most of the water leaving 5-10 gallons for flushing.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:26 PM   #13

Thanks for the reply. Sadly I must haul water as the places I go are dry with no available sources. Been thinking about a 60 gallon bladder I could carry in the fwd pass through or the truck bed. Once we set up camp I have a pump and I can transfer to the rear tank. Also found a lift kit by Dexter for the torflex axles and this ought to help too.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 PM   #14

what is your tongue weight?
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJA View Post
Thanks for the reply. Sadly I must haul water as the places I go are dry with no available sources. Been thinking about a 60 gallon bladder I could carry in the fwd pass through or the truck bed. Once we set up camp I have a pump and I can transfer to the rear tank. Also found a lift kit by Dexter for the torflex axles and this ought to help too.
Well, the bladder/pump arrangement would be a good way to go if it works. Be sure to line the compartment floor with carpet and keep it free of sticks, stones and thorns or you will have a flash flood.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
what is your tongue weight?
Very good question, factory specs say 1280 based on a dry weight of 8472. I'm going to take the trailer, loaded, to a CAT scale and check the weights. I'm assuming with a GVWR near 10K pounds somewhere around 2K hitch weight is desirable.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #17

I was able to get a lift kit from FR for my 5ver. The newer HD trucks sit higher. It raised the trailer 3".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJA View Post
Usually I gotta fill the tank as we don't do campgrounds much.

No winds, straight nice highway, no passing trucks. I thought a tire blew or something catastrophic.

Has those torsion rubber axles so not sure I can tweak the axle position to gain height. Pretty sure larger diameter rims/tires are the only route.
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #18

Just spoke w/FR and they said most buyers have 4x2 trucks and that the newer 4x4s are too high. They're gonna try and figure out a way to lift the trailer. I think the Torflex axles have the high profile brackets and thus the standard Dexter lift kit can't be used.

Tags
rockwood, towing