Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

2021 F-150 Pro Power

I’ve been thinking about a new tow vehicle and saw this on the Ford site. There’s going to be an option for an up to a 7.2 kW onboard power connection. Among some of the other options that are reportedly going to be available, this is one that might make traveling a bit more convenient. I hope an appropriate adapter plug will become readily available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	236809
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #2

That will only be on the hybrid. Basically the hybrid already has a big power inverter and a high voltage battery. A normal gas motor even with the biggest alternator on it won't be able to run 7500 watts of 110v AC even with a $1000 7.5 kw inverter.

To me it seems a little silly to run a 350 hp engine to make 7.5 kw which is 10 horsepower. I suppose the hybrid might have a battery big enough to run that for an hour, maybe 2 or so without the engine on. That might be nice while boondocking to run the AC for awhile while going to bed without a noisy generator.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
That will only be on the hybrid. Basically the hybrid already has a big power inverter and a high voltage battery. A normal gas motor even with the biggest alternator on it won't be able to run 7500 watts of 110v AC even with a $1000 7.5 kw inverter.

To me it seems a little silly to run a 350 hp engine to make 7.5 kw which is 10 horsepower. I suppose the hybrid might have a battery big enough to run that for an hour, maybe 2 or so without the engine on. That might be nice while boondocking to run the AC for awhile while going to bed without a noisy generator.
The hybrid battery in that truck is just a bit larger than one of the Battleborns in my trailer.

It is 1.5KWh
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The hybrid battery in that truck is just a bit larger than one of the Battleborns in my trailer.

It is 1.5KWh
That's actually pathetic for the F150 hybrid battery. I didn't bother to look it up but figured it would be at least half the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid that has been out for years now with a 16 KWh battery.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
That's actually pathetic for the F150 hybrid battery. I didn't bother to look it up but figured it would be at least half the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid that has been out for years now with a 16 KWh battery.
Yes...very pathetic which is why I would never buy this version of the truck. Maybe the spec that I am reading online is incorrect....we will see.

In addition, it comes with a 30 gallon fuel tank vs my 36 gallon tank so the range is less....no thanks.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #6

It seems that the hybrid version is so the grocery getters feel better about driving a truck. A saner person does not get a truck and expect good mileage.

I have a buddy that could not understand why anyone needs a truck. An electric car will do everything you need, he says. I reply I need to drive more than 300 miles on a regular basis. He asked how often do I really do that. I reply at least once per month for the last 7 years. And I need to tow a camper while doing it. A week later he needed to move his son to college and wanted to borrow my truck. His Tesla wasn't big enough nor could it tow the Uhaul. The hybrid truck is for people like him.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
It seems that the hybrid version is so the grocery getters feel better about driving a truck. A saner person does not get a truck and expect good mileage.
You know what is funny about that, our F-150 just got 22MPG from Carson City to LA. Driving 70MPH. The same trip, our Honda Element gets 21 MPG.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Happycamper

I am curious about the stats. I believe, could be wrong, that this option pairs with a hybrid unit, so its using the battery pack as a power source? So at some point in time the engine would have to start depending on load. Also, how will the battery pack affect payload capacity. Half tons only have between 1400 and 1800 payload to begin with. My understanding is this is geared more towards a work truck. You would not be running tools nonstop for hours like you would a trailer if you are off grid. Just some random thoughts, i could be wrong.
fkovach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes...very pathetic which is why I would never buy this version of the truck. Maybe the spec that I am reading online is incorrect....we will see.

In addition, it comes with a 30 gallon fuel tank vs my 36 gallon tank so the range is less....no thanks.
They probably had to make up for space for the battery but all in all according to the ford site, this hybrid truck will travel 700 miles on a tank of fuel along with the battery helping it along. Sounds pretty good to me.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
They probably had to make up for space for the battery but all in all according to the ford site, this hybrid truck will travel 700 miles on a tank of fuel along with the battery helping it along. Sounds pretty good to me.
I could see that but I was just under my truck. There is plenty of room for a battery passenger side at the bed between the outside and bed panel. You could get a battleborn in there easy and have a panel for easy access in the bed. Two if you changed the form factor but for sure one and an inverter. My 2k inverter is 30lbs. Figure 70-100lbs between the two. I dont see it as that heavy. Weight is usually less of a problem than wind from my experience.

Would I buy it, no but all of us here have different needs. I would buy as a grocery getter/occasional utility vehicle.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkovach1 View Post
Also, how will the battery pack affect payload capacity.
The battery is 1.5KW so the battery weight is going to be less than 100#. They reduced the fuel capacity by 6 gallons so there is 36# you just got back. The weight that will be effecting payload are the electric motors
Old 08-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
I just finished a trip and went 600 miles on a tank of gas from Columbus to Washington DC and back in my 3.5 EB. Plenty of hills on the route...

If you are driving mostly highway then I do not think you will see much of an advantage. Around town, it may be worth it.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
I can go 850 miles on a tank in the old Touareg. 26 gallons and well over 30 mpg. I drove it back and forth to work for 2 weeks, then took it on a 500 mile trip to Seattle from Montana then went over to olympic National park and didn't add diesel until I was in Port Angles and had 800 miles on the tank including a bunch of city driving. It was saying I still had 60 miles of range remaining.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #14

Quote:
I can go 850 miles on a tank in the old Touareg. 26 gallons and well over 30 mpg. I drove it back and forth to work for 2 weeks, then took it on a 500 mile trip to Seattle from Montana then went over to olympic National park and didn't add diesel until I was in Port Angles and had 800 miles on the tank including a bunch of city driving. It was saying I still had 60 miles of range remaining.
When did we switch to VWs from F-150s?
Old 08-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #15
Brake is on left

Quote:
When did we switch to VWs from F-150s?
I think it was regarding the efficiency of diesel over hybrid drive gas motors. And I agree About 800 pounds of stuff in the bed and still sipping oil at 22mpg in my SD.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
I think it was regarding the efficiency of diesel over hybrid drive gas motors. And I agree About 800 pounds of stuff in the bed and still sipping oil at 22mpg in my SD.
Exactly and a diesel F150 would be going almost 1000 miles on a tank. I'm just saying 700 miles on a tank isn't that big of a deal
Old 08-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Exactly and a diesel F150 would be going almost 1000 miles on a tank. I'm just saying 700 miles on a tank isn't that big of a deal
Not even close since you can't get the 36 gallon tank with the diesel. Only 26 gallons.

Real world mileage for the diesel F-150 is around 25 MPG. 650 mile range. Personally, I would never buy the 3.0 diesel in this truck. Not even going to mention the payload hit which is likely why they went with the 26 gallon tank.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #18

Surprised they don't do better than 25 mpg. The 3.0 VW diesel with a similar weight and full time 4wd with only 8 speeds never gets worse than 25 mpg. That's all city, stop and go, dead of Montana winter, with only a 3 mile commute so it hardly gets to operating temperature before parking it for 10 hours and repeating again in the evening. Summer around town with longer trips it gets 28 and on the highway it easily gets 32. Even going 80 mph it gets 30.

I didn't know the F150 diesel got a baby tank. Why do they do that? I suppose 10 gallons knocks another 80 pounds off a probably already hurting payload.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
Brake is on left

The DEF and other emissions stuff probably took up the room of the extra 10 gallons.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
The DEF and other emissions stuff probably took up the room of the extra 10 gallons.
I thought maybe that, but then I know usually the tank is all on one side of the driveshaft and all the exhaust is on the other. Sorry to bring up the VW again but somehow they fit all that and a 26 gallon tank on something narrower with way less wheelbase.

Tags
power