Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #21

When did we switch from hybrid F-150s to diesels?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
When did we switch from hybrid F-150s to diesels?
Well technically the pro power is available on non hybrid too just in lower power levels. Sort of like Ford amature power.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...power-onboard/
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #23

I like it. With standard non hybrid drivetrains, you can get 2000 watts. It's 2400 for hybrids, with a 7.2k optional upgrade. I wonder if it can be paired with an inverter generator....

We always carry a 2000 watt inverter gen, even when going to an electric site - just in case we need it. It would be handy to have that built into the truck. You don't have to chain it to a tree, huge gas tank, remote start, more free bed space. Too bad it's probably $5000 anyway, and I won't need a new truck for quite a while. But next time I truck shop, I hope this type of thing is still around and works well.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
I like it. With standard non hybrid drivetrains, you can get 2000 watts. It's 2400 for hybrids, with a 7.2k optional upgrade. I wonder if it can be paired with an inverter generator....

We always carry a 2000 watt inverter gen, even when going to an electric site - just in case we need it. It would be handy to have that built into the truck. You don't have to chain it to a tree, huge gas tank, remote start, more free bed space. Too bad it's probably $5000 anyway, and I won't need a new truck for quite a while. But next time I truck shop, I hope this type of thing is still around and works well.
Will be interesting if its just a crappy modified sine wave inverter like what comes with the current trucks.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
It seems that the hybrid version is so the grocery getters feel better about driving a truck. A saner person does not get a truck and expect good mileage.

I have a buddy that could not understand why anyone needs a truck. An electric car will do everything you need, he says. I reply I need to drive more than 300 miles on a regular basis. He asked how often do I really do that. I reply at least once per month for the last 7 years. And I need to tow a camper while doing it. A week later he needed to move his son to college and wanted to borrow my truck. His Tesla wasn't big enough nor could it tow the Uhaul. The hybrid truck is for people like him.
Where's the rest of the story? Did you remind him that a electric car could do everything or did you just loan him your truck and kept silent? Did he leave you his Tesla in exchange?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #26

I did not loan him my truck. They rented a Uhaul truck to move. He was pretty mad at me for a while when I did not buy his point of view. A few weeks later we had a few beers and all is well. We just don't talk about electric cars anymore.

Electric cars/trucks will compete and probably beat internal combustion engines someday. We just need to find a storage medium for electricity that has the same power density as gasoline/diesel. Actually, it only needs to have about 35%-40% of the power density.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
I did not loan him my truck. They rented a Uhaul truck to move. He was pretty mad at me for a while when I did not buy his point of view. A few weeks later we had a few beers and all is well. We just don't talk about electric cars anymore.

Electric cars/trucks will compete and probably beat internal combustion engines someday. We just need to find a storage medium for electricity that has the same power density as gasoline/diesel. Actually, it only needs to have about 35%-40% of the power density.
The bigger problem is the "rechage" rate. I can recharge 800 miles worth of range in 5 minutes on my diesel, even the best electric recharge is hours for less than 1/2 that range. It gets to the point you would be dealing with huge voltages and amperage to do it faster. Then say you had 10 cars trying to do it all at once at a station. That station will need a major manufacturing plant level of electrical service, or maybe a lucky lightning strike.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #28

You are correct, charging is another issue that is slowing the acceptance.

Short term with current technology the best solution would be standardized batteries that can be changed out quickly then charged off line. I'm sure there are smarter people than me trying to solve this issue now.

Once these hurdles are jumped, it will be hard to no switch to electric. The motors are so efficient and drive train are so simple.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power