Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #21

2021 F350 Lariat SRW DIESEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
Are those manual locking hubs on the red 450?

All new FX4 Super Duty’s have Lock, Auto hubs.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #22
Grammar Pedant

Even my F-350 SRW has factory manual locking hubs. They go between Auto and Manual, in case the auto fails or you just don't trust it. I'm sure they're not as strong as dedicated Warn (or equivalent) manual locking hubs, though.

And, it has nothing to do with FX4. The FX4 is the stupidest package ever for the Super Duty. It adds only $100 skid plates, hill descent (which can be added for $15 post-order), super crappy "off road" shocks, and a decal. That's it for the Super Duty -- four things. It's a $400 option that gives you $115 of value.

[Factory skid plates are difficult and expensive to install later. So, if you want them, order the skid plate option for $100. Only dealerships order FX4, because so many people believe the package confers some other benefits to the truck.]

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #23

I want the hubs either "locked" or "off" so I can use 4LO with hubs "unlocked" for maneuvering the camper, without jerking. Ram trucks are less than ideal due to the solid hub axles. Jeep style. I'm installing SpynTec manual hubs for the above reason. Our toy hauler is heavy. Need Lo range in 2WD.
I had an F-250 with auto-lock hubs and swapped them for manual. They were a PITA to work with...IMHO.
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #24

Quote:
I want the hubs either "locked" or "off" so I can use 4LO with hubs "unlocked" for maneuvering the camper, without jerking. Ram trucks are less than ideal due to the solid hub axles. Jeep style. I'm installing SpynTec manual hubs for the above reason. Our toy hauler is heavy. Need Lo range in 2WD.
I had an F-250 with auto-lock hubs and swapped them for manual. They were a PITA to work with...IMHO.
Only have to add a switch to one wire under hood to unlock hubs. Upfitter switches make this easy.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
Only have to add a switch to one wire under hood to unlock hubs. Upfitter switches make this easy.
That works with 2013.5 and up Ram with CAD front axle disconnect. It only separates the front axles. It does prevent 'wind up.'
I'm 2012 with zero options other than a hub kit. 2012s are oddballs in year models. At the least, no DEF. Even with CAD front axle, everything turns at road speed. Not the best. Ford's auto hubs are better. Manual is best.
I don't mind getting out and locking hubs. Mine are locked all the time now. It isn't 'full time' with NP273 TC. Won't be locked up soon.
Considering the cost of new vs my excellent running 120k 3500 HO, and the 'special' treatments [emoji57], I'll keep it.
Sorry for rooting around with the topic...
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #26

Congratulations on your new 5er, tow vehicle and your retirement. I, retired this year myself and next year planning on touring the Midwest and much more. I'm also love the color though I'm kind of partial to red....lol
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by star52656 View Post
Well, I did it. Ordered a Race Red Lariat F350 dually today. Bought our 2020 Redwood 3901WB as well. 14,000 + dry weight. I believe that Big Red will handle it. Retirement in 3 months and 6 months of traveling next year! Thanks for all of your opinions and information.
Great choice! You won’t regret it for a second. CCC, stability, ride, safety. Enjoy your travels!
jgump911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #28

2020 f350

Which way you decide to go. 2 things.

I test drove a long bed. It was very bouncy and kinda nauseating (SWD)

I went with the standard bed. But I'm pulling a 12k trailer.

I upgraded my purchase to get the pro trailer back up assist for my 5th wheel. If you buy this option. You will need a Yaw Sensor. My truck did not come with that necessary device. Ford is not offering the sensor. So I basically paid for an item that does not work. I am still waiting for the part and it is showing as a non existing part on their website. Ford has completely failed on this item.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #29

CONGRATS!!!

Quote:
Well, I did it. Ordered a Race Red Lariat F350 dually today. Bought our 2020 Redwood 3901WB as well. 14,000 + dry weight. I believe that Big Red will handle it. Retirement in 3 months and 6 months of traveling next year! Thanks for all of your opinions and information.
I too was is in the same dilemma. Like you I went with the F350 Lariat DRW Long bed. LOVE IT! Pulls my big 5er (2020 Riverstone Legacy 39RKFB) like a dream. The additional stability by those xtra wheels is amazing. ALTHOUGH....if I had it to do over again, the 450 turning radius would have won.

Safe travels!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C14E3C11-562B-413E-BE8C-2A02353C6FEB.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	241079  
TF Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Beautiful combo! Redwoods are really nice trailers and the DRW will tow much better. Congrats!
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #31

Congratulations! You will never regret towing with the dually, especially the first west Texas windstorm you sail through. Makes all conditions a piece of cake!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20191026_17_43_46_Pro.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	241083  

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I'm not sure if there's a big difference in insurance & registration, but if you're going with an F-350 DRW, make sure to check out the F-450. While they will ride, drive and sit (dimensions) about the same, the F-450 has bigger brakes (not super important), bigger tires (which is both a pro and a con) and, most importantly, the wide-track front end that gives you a turning radius of a Honda Accord (hyperbole). Plus, the wide-track adds the front fender flares which really complement the DRW extended fenders. Here's a random red one to show what I'm talking about:

Either way. Congrats and enjoy the next chapter.

Depends on the state. IL that would require F plates, and yearly inspections. If what is stated about the Dually now having a GVWR of over 12,000 pounds, it too would be Class F, but will more than likely get by with a D plate for a few more years.

Class D is $236 a year
Class F is $342 a year

Just keep in mid, proper registration is on the owner, not the dealer, so hopefully you have a dealer who is up on the proper registrations and doesn't under register the truck.

Here is another zinger about the lovely(meant sarcastic) state of IL, all trucks, including B-plated 1/2 tons are considered Second Division vehicles. You know that sign on the highway that says no trucks left lane? Yeah, that includes pickups! All trucks must weigh, yeah, that includes everything Second Division, but they do exempt 1/2 tons, just not publicly, but you better weigh if you have a 3/4 ton with a potential Commercial load, or they very well likely will run you down. If it looks like you are pulling a commercial load, even if it isn't, they have eyes out for you. What a lovely state IL is. Good thing anything RV types are exempted though, just as long as the truck registration is correct.

I considered an F450, until I read state requirements for licensing. Can't wait to relocate.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #33

F450 Hub Locks

Quote:
Are those manual locking hubs on the red 450?
Yes, the F450 has front end hub locks. Actually, they switch between “auto” hub lock and “manual” hub lock. 4WD can be engaged without getting out and locking the hubs in the “auto” setting.
lynyrd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, f350