Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 185
2021 GMC 1500 mirrors Q

I just got a new GMC Sierra 1500 SLE which does not have towing mirrors. I was looking at the CIPA slip ons, but they tell me the mirror glass is not adjustable? Has anyone had experience with these and do they work well without being able to adjust? The stock truck mirrors are OK for driving, but trying to back into somewhere, I can't see the trailer wheel to know when to start turning! Just can't see $1000 to get factory tow mirrors!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 136
towing mirrors

Look on E-Bay I bought brand new Aftermarket towing mirrors for like a $100.00 on ebay. They had them for almost any truck and model.
__________________
South Bend Indiana
Rockwood, 2015 Ultra V 2715vs
05 gmc 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 2,330
I've been using the same clunky McKesh strap on towing mirrors for over 20 years. Not the same model, the same mirrors. These seem much wider than the mirrors on small pickup trucks and I've set mine 6" wider than the trailer. Like a cat's whiskers if the whiskers (mirrors) fit the body (trailer) will fit. And you thought a cat's whiskers were just styling.

Most difficult part of these mirrors is remembering to take them off when I store the trailer offsite. Have to go back and do this more often than I should. Mirrors are stored in the camper as is the hitch so I can roll in and tow out without finding things in my shed.


Not mine but similar.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Handyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 123
https://www.carparts.com/mirror/gmc
__________________
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 253RLXL
2013 F-150 XLT 5.0 Crew Cab
2009 F-150 King Ranch 5.4 Crew Cab
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 9,443
Look up HarnessDr and he can help you. There are lots of aftermarket tow mirrors out there and he can tell you the ones that work with your truck.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 5,342
I have had several CIPA mirrors for different vehicles since the mid-90's and all worked great... buy on amazon and send them back if they do not work for you... they do not make garbage IMHO
__________________
"nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle."
Thomas Jefferson to John Norvell pg. 2, June 11, 1807

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have had several CIPA mirrors for different vehicles since the mid-90's and all worked great... buy on amazon and send them back if they do not work for you... they do not make garbage IMHO

Thanks rsdata, my worry was that they wouldn't aim where I want due to being nonadjustable. Sounds like you have had no issue.

I'd prefer to keep costs down as the vehicle is a lease. The factory toe mirrors look nice, but not for over thousand dollars!


Thanks to all for your input.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,792
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
Look on E-Bay I bought brand new Aftermarket towing mirrors for like a $100.00 on ebay. They had them for almost any truck and model.
Yes. I got aftermarket towing mirrors that mount just like the OEM ones and have the defrosters and turn signals like the OEM ones for our 2015 GMC 2500 Sierra SLE. $95.80 on eBay. Here are links for something similar for your 2012 1500.

You will find that they are often power-adjust, power-defrost, power puddle light, power turn signal, but you have to manually extend them for towing. Read the descriptions carefully, and check which features your vehicle has before ordering.

Manual
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16349226942...AAAOSwr7ZcQM1F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38429205539...0AAOSwQcBg-xTK

Powered
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40102620653...8AAOSw1JhgQZ0j

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35247882323...MAAOSwarxgSUhm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20174807534...IAAOSwIbtgBjjM
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,792
Oh no!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Yes. I got aftermarket towing mirrors that mount just like the OEM ones and have the defrosters and turn signals like the OEM ones for our 2015 GMC 2500 Sierra SLE. $95.80 on eBay. Here are links for something similar for your 2012 1500.

You will find that they are often power-adjust, power-defrost, power puddle light, power turn signal, but you have to manually extend them for towing. Read the descriptions carefully, and check which features your vehicle has before ordering.

Manual
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16349226942...AAAOSwr7ZcQM1F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38429205539...0AAOSwQcBg-xTK

Powered
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40102620653...8AAOSw1JhgQZ0j

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35247882323...MAAOSwarxgSUhm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20174807534...IAAOSwIbtgBjjM
Oh no! I misread the subject "2021 GMC" as "2012 GMC." All the links I sent are for a 2012 pickup. Please search eBay yourself for 2021. Let me know if that doesn't work for you and I can do the correct search. Sorry about that.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 178
I have the cipa slip on, and mine do adjust. Would not make much since if they didn't. My truck is a 2014. And they work great for me.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:55 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I've been using the same clunky McKesh strap on towing mirrors for over 20 years. Not the same model, the same mirrors. These seem much wider than the mirrors on small pickup trucks and I've set mine 6" wider than the trailer. Like a cat's whiskers if the whiskers (mirrors) fit the body (trailer) will fit. And you thought a cat's whiskers were just styling.

Most difficult part of these mirrors is remembering to take them off when I store the trailer offsite. Have to go back and do this more often than I should. Mirrors are stored in the camper as is the hitch so I can roll in and tow out without finding things in my shed.


Not mine but similar.
-- Thanks for the reminder. Just got home from a 1000+ mile weeklong trip and the CIPA mirrors are still on the truck.
2015 Flagstaff 21DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlindsay View Post
I have the cipa slip on, and mine do adjust. Would not make much since if they didn't. My truck is a 2014. And they work great for me.
That was my feeling. I called "Realtruck" whom had a good price and they said they don't adjust. Looking at the pix, they look like they would. As you said, what good are they if they don't. One site I don't remember which had a 50% restocking fee for returns, so gotta be careful there.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2021, 500

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.