Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
2021 Tahoe Factory Hitch Receiver

I just picked up our 2021 Tahoe Z71 and was looking at the factory installed hitch receiver to see its rating and capacity limits. It has the Max Tow Package and can tow up to 8,200 pounds, but I want to make sure that I fully understand the the capacity and limits of the hitch receiver.

Please see the attached photo of the label on it. It appears to be a Class V hitch receiver but I'm not sure about the two different tongue weights that are shown. One is listed as 500 pounds and the other is listed as 850 pounds. Can someone decipher and explain what these two different illustrations depict along with the related tongue weights for each one? Thanks in advance for your help with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55B99D88-78DF-46D8-B4F5-6E755096A87A.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	239452  
JLA956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
2021 Tahoe Factory Hitch Receiver

V-5 isn’t the hitch class, it’s the test used to ensure the hitch meets safety standards for the listed weights.

I also don’t see where you see 500lb listed. The sticker says 850lb max tongue weight and 8,500lb max trailer weight.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
V-5 isn’t the hitch class, it’s the test used to ensure the hitch meets safety standards for the listed weights.

I also don’t see where you see 500lb listed. The sticker says 850lb max tongue weight and 8,500lb max trailer weight.
OK - I understand it now. Thanks!
JLA956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA956 View Post
In the photo, the illustration on the left shows 850 pounds and the one to the right of it shows 500 pounds. The illustration on the left side has one arrow positioned above the trailer aiming down and the one to the right has two arrows above the trailer aiming down.

Not sure how, but you keep overlooking the “8” in “8500”. Is it because there’s a space?

The arrows are saying the weight of the tongue and trailer (max trailer weight) is 8500LB. The single arrow on the left for the 850LB max tongue weight is 10% of the max trailer weight which is standard.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
The trailer that we are looking at has an advertised hitch weight of 545 LBS but I'm guessing that doesn't include the weight of the two propane tanks, battery, and the electric hitch jack that are on the trailer. I'm estimating that those would push the hitch weight up to around 625-650 LBS. And then you would have to add the weight of any attached parts from a WD hitch. All of that would definitely be under the max listed receiver hitch weight of 850 LBS.

In using a WD hitch for our trailer will that put extra stress on the receiver and perhaps exceed the safety limits of this receiver? I have heard that certain WD hitches put quite a bit of strain onto hitch receivers you when transition from uneven surfaces such as entering and exiting gas stations. They said that this stress can eventually fatigue and wear out receivers that are not properly rated for it.
JLA956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,493
If you have the correct WDH, i.e. correct bars, etc., and it is set up correctly, a certain amount of weight is transferred to the front of you TV. It's the way it is supposed to work. Think of it as a reverse lever. Without a WDH it will put stress on the hitch, more than you want.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,201
As he says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
If you have the correct WDH, i.e. correct bars, etc., and it is set up correctly, a certain amount of weight is transferred to the front of you TV. It's the way it is supposed to work. Think of it as a reverse lever. Without a WDH it will put stress on the hitch, more than you want.
As DW says, it takes weight OFF the hitch/rear axle, and moves it ONTO the front axle.

This will be apparent to you when you actually install and adjust the WDH. You will measure the distance from front fender rim to top-of-tire without the trailer attached. Then you will attach the trailer and the front will rise--distance will increase. Then you adjust the WDH until the distance decreases. You might go back half-the-distance, all-the-distance, or somewhere in between.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 93
500 lbs is the max tongue weight using a standard drop draw bar, 850 is with weight distribution
__________________
2016 Dodge Durango 5.7L
2021 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
500 lbs is the max tongue weight using a standard drop draw bar, 850 is with weight distribution

Nope.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA956 View Post
I just picked up our 2021 Tahoe Z71 and was looking at the factory installed hitch receiver to see its rating and capacity limits. It has the Max Tow Package and can tow up to 8,200 pounds, but I want to make sure that I fully understand the the capacity and limits of the hitch receiver.

Please see the attached photo of the label on it. It appears to be a Class V hitch receiver but I'm not sure about the two different tongue weights that are shown. One is listed as 500 pounds and the other is listed as 850 pounds. Can someone decipher and explain what these two different illustrations depict along with the related tongue weights for each one? Thanks in advance for your help with this.
That's not much of a Max Tow package, if the receiver is only rated for 850lbs only and 8200lbs max towing.
My F150's hitch receiver has a max hitch weight of at least 1130lbs and max towing of 11,300lbs.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's not much of a Max Tow package, if the receiver is only rated for 850lbs only and 8200lbs max towing.
My F150's hitch receiver has a max hitch weight of at least 1130lbs and max towing of 11,300lbs.

SUV vs truck, can’t really compare the two.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
SUV vs truck, can’t really compare the two.
True but it supposedly is a 1/2 ton also. But this is why a 1/2 ton SUV will rarely compare to a 1/2 ton truck, when looking for a tow vehicle. I had an Avalanche, which was basically a Suburban SUV with a truck bed. So I know the limitations of the GM 1/2 SUV line.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
True but it supposedly is a 1/2 ton also. But this is why a 1/2 ton SUV will rarely compare to a 1/2 ton truck, when looking for a tow vehicle. I had an Avalanche, which was basically a Suburban SUV with a truck bed. So I know the limitations of the GM 1/2 SUV line.

The new Tahoe does have a payload capacity of over 1,800LB but it needs it to haul people and still have some capacity to tow. Definitely a compromise but all things considered I think they’re pretty well rounded. Would be nice if GM brought the Suburban 2500 back.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The new Tahoe does have a payload capacity of over 1,800LB but it needs it to haul people and still have some capacity to tow. Definitely a compromise but all things considered I think they’re pretty well rounded. Would be nice if GM brought the Suburban 2500 back.
Attached are photos of the decals on the driver's side door. The listed UVW on the trailer we're looking at is 4,900 LBS and it would just be my wife and I in the tow vehicle along with our two dogs ((40#s combined) so it looks like we would be okay on the weight capacity restrictions.

Even with our personal stuff added to the trailer, along with propane tanks, battery, and other related items, it appears that we should have some room to spare before we get close to the weight limits. We are totally new to this so please let me know your thoughts or if I'm overlooking or miscalculating anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A46FAC5-A281-4192-AC4D-954673290049_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	239474   Click image for larger version

Name:	E5E1D680-F7C4-4D97-87C7-A760E39378D6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	239475  
JLA956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA956 View Post
Attached are photos of the decals on the driver's side door. The listed UVW on the trailer we're looking at is 4,900 LBS and it would just be my wife and I in the tow vehicle along with our two dogs ((40#s combined) so it looks like we would be okay on the weight capacity restrictions.

Even with our personal stuff added to the trailer, along with propane tanks, battery, and other related items, it appears that we should have some room to spare before we get close to the weight limits. We are totally new to this so please let me know your thoughts or if I'm overlooking or miscalculating anything.
So with 1596lbs of payload, you should be fine with the TT you're looking at.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Would be nice if GM brought the Suburban 2500 back.
Yep, with the major changes Covid has created in how families vacation now and with the massive RV sales increase, a 3/4 ton SUV would be super popular.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA956 View Post
The trailer that we are looking at has an advertised hitch weight of 545 LBS but I'm guessing that doesn't include the weight of the two propane tanks, battery, and the electric hitch jack that are on the trailer. I'm estimating that those would push the hitch weight up to around 625-650 LBS. And then you would have to add the weight of any attached parts from a WD hitch. All of that would definitely be under the max listed receiver hitch weight of 850 LBS.

In using a WD hitch for our trailer will that put extra stress on the receiver and perhaps exceed the safety limits of this receiver? I have heard that certain WD hitches put quite a bit of strain onto hitch receivers you when transition from uneven surfaces such as entering and exiting gas stations. They said that this stress can eventually fatigue and wear out receivers that are not properly rated for it.
One small clarification - the weight of the hitch is part of the payload the tow vehicle carries, but it is not part of the tongue weight of the trailer. Put another way, the tongue weight is whatever is *resting* on the hitch. The hitch can't rest on itself.

I know it seems like hair-splitting, but counting that as tongue weight can actually leave you unsafely light if you were close to begin with.
__________________
-Qwkynuf

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Nope.
Weight carrying/standard drawbar carries a lower tongue weight limit than weight-distribution.

Older stickers were better at displaying this info, instead of having to dig into the owner’s manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F835E7EB-2307-48A4-A9C8-3DC9E87DC9DF.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	239477   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C24B0E4-EB69-4FE3-A7BD-8D70C9E253B0.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	239479  
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
2021 Tahoe Factory Hitch Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
Weight carrying/standard drawbar carries a lower tongue weight limit than weight-distribution.

Older stickers were better at displaying this info, instead of having to dig into the owner’s manual.

I know what you were trying to say, but you are incorrect about what the OP was asking about as well as about the WC vs WD limits for the Tahoe. The limit doesn’t exist on these and many other vehicles, lately I’ve seen the WC limit applied to crossover/unibody SUVs.

Not only that, your manual reference doesn’t match what you said in your first post and isn’t for the OP’s vehicle.

For the 2021 Tahoe the manual says if the trailer weight is 7,000LB or less then a WDH is optional. It also says nothing about max WC weight, only max tongue weight.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
factory, hitch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.