Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 142
2022 GMC 1500 Sierra 2.7L Turbo

I looked at a new GMC that has a 2.7L turbo with a payload of 1900lb. Has anyone used this truck for towing a TT or have any feedback on it?
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 934
I feel a whole lot better towing with the 6.2L V8. Unless you're towing a fairly light trailer, I would pass.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 10 Speed 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 6 Speed 3.42
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 27,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1650 View Post
I looked at a new GMC that has a 2.7L turbo with a payload of 1900lb. Has anyone used this truck for towing a TT or have any feedback on it?
Many have been towing with the F150 2.7 Ecoboost for a number of years. Didn't know that GMC came out with a copycat engine.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I feel a whole lot better towing with the 6.2L V8. Unless you're towing a fairly light trailer, I would pass.
They rate the truck at 310 hp and 348 lb torque. Max towing is 9200 lb. The trailers I have looked at should never go much over 7000 fully loaded. I watched a video of it pulling a 6700 pound horse trailer up a 7 degree grade for 8 miles at 60 mph and it had no problem. Coming down with engine breaking he hit the brakes 8 times. For a four cylinder is does pretty good.
The only drawback is it doesn't sound like a truck lol
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,436
It will get the job done not the fastest but it will get you there
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,011
i apoligze for being a ram guy but i have a 2500 gas ram and my 5th wheel has a 1900 pound pin weight and i dont see a 1/2 ton truck coming any where near that number.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #7
Retired Army MSG!
 
lazyjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sharon, SC
Posts: 331
The reviews I have read, these seem to be pretty nice trucks, especially if you stay small with your RV and are going to use the truck as a daily drive. With gas prices these days worth saving all you can. The only drawback I see is a lot of time, I know from experience is we get that first RV and then a year or so later it is no longer large enough for our needs and we upgrade. This may never be your case but sometimes it pays to get more truck than you think you may need for changes that may come down the road.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 18,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
i apoligze for being a ram guy but i have a 2500 gas ram and my 5th wheel has a 1900 pound pin weight and i dont see a 1/2 ton truck coming any where near that number.
Why do you apoligze? Do you feel the OP was trying to convince you to trade? He just asked if anyone had experience or feedback on this truck.
__________________
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,436
My 2018 Ram 1500 tradesman has a 1900 pound payload. It has the 3.6 penstar v 6 I have blown by that several times hauling stuff in the bed.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Many have been towing with the F150 2.7 Ecoboost for a number of years. Didn't know that GMC came out with a copycat engine.
The GM engine is a 4 cylinder with less horsepower and torque.

But, no reason it can't pull a smaller trailer. The pulling example cited is impressive but keep in mind that a horse trailer has a LOT less frontal area than an RV.
__________________
https://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2021 F350 Lariat 7.3 4X4 w 4.30s, 2018 Wildcat 29RLX
2012 BMW G650GS, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
Dazed & Confused
 
M&K Hoffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NW PA
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1650 View Post
They rate the truck at 310 hp and 348 lb torque. Max towing is 9200 lb. The trailers I have looked at should never go much over 7000 fully loaded. I watched a video of it pulling a 6700 pound horse trailer up a 7 degree grade for 8 miles at 60 mph and it had no problem. Coming down with engine breaking he hit the brakes 8 times. For a four cylinder is does pretty good.
The only drawback is it doesn't sound like a truck lol

Just remember tongue weight will need to be 700 to 1050 lbs. and that is subtracted from your payload along with anything else you place in the truck other than fuel. There is a difference between "will it tow it" and "will I be not stressed driving while towing it".
__________________
~Mike & Kim~
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond Package
2020 Ram 2500 6.4L Crew cab 4WD, 4.10 Axel
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Why do you apoligze? Do you feel the OP was trying to convince you to trade? He just asked if anyone had experience or feedback on this truck.

Because most truck guys dont want to hear from the bad guys driving another brand. I'm curious 1/2 truck payload numbers have sky rocketed the past few years from all manufactors. Other then changing the numbers what are they doing to support that? And i dont mean just the engine pulling it. I'm talking stopping it and towing it down the road safely.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
camper_Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camping some place I hope
Posts: 412
Not sure what you will be towing, but these are fairly light load specs on this TV. Looks like you would most likely need long bed and 2 wheel to cover the average small RV unit.

If you still have the unit in your signature, that is 7K dry, 1600 load - this TV unit would not be a good fit, IMO.

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/1500/capability
__________________
2019 Chevy 3500 4x4 Crew Duramax
2021 Gray Wolf Toy Hauler
2019 Street Glide
camper_Lucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,436
Not to assume but it appears you MAY be getting payload and tow capacity confused or at least jumbled together.

Payload is the number given by the manufacturers ( marketing or engineering no one really knows) that people argue about on is there a safety net or once you exceed by 1 pound your in violation of many universal laws truck is going to fall apart. However this is the number most people consider most important.

Towing capacity is the number ď earnedĒ by a vehicle after the manufacturers demonstrate that each particular make model can meet the criteria. SAE J 2807 is the criteria they need to meet. Itís a very stressful test on the vehicle. Most people dismiss this number because they only have to use 10% of trailer weight when testing. To me the fact I can see what a vehicle has done to meet a stated requirement. I prefer this rating.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Towing capacity is the number ď earnedĒ by a vehicle after the manufacturers demonstrate that each particular make model can meet the criteria. SAE J 2807 is the criteria they need to meet. Itís a very stressful test on the vehicle. Most people dismiss this number because they only have to use 10% of trailer weight when testing. To me the fact I can see what a vehicle has done to meet a stated requirement. I prefer this rating.
The problem with J 2807 is the 10 percent tongue weight used. If a J 2807 tested vehicle has a 10,000 lb max tow rating, then it was tested with a 10 percent tongue weight. But in the real world, travel trailers typically have a 12-14 percent tongue weight. So a trailer that weighs 10,000 lbs and has a 13 percent tongue weight will have you exceeding your 1000 lb max tongue weight by 300 lbs. In reality, a 1000 lb tongue weight at 13 percent will limit you to a 7692 lb trailer. And that is your real life max tow weight, assuming no other limitations are being exceeded. Max tow rating is nothing more than a bragging rights number, because when it comes to travel trailers, you will exceed other weight limitations long before you ever get to the max tow rating, and that's why many people dismiss it.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 10 Speed 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 6 Speed 3.42
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The problem with J 2807 is the 10 percent tongue weight used. If a J 2807 tested vehicle has a 10,000 lb max tow rating, then it was tested with a 10 percent tongue weight. But in the real world, travel trailers typically have a 12-14 percent tongue weight. So a trailer that weighs 10,000 lbs and has a 13 percent tongue weight will have you exceeding your 1000 lb max tongue weight by 300 lbs. In reality, a 1000 lb tongue weight at 13 percent will limit you to a 7692 lb trailer. And that is your real life max tow weight, assuming no other limitations are being exceeded. Max tow rating is nothing more than a bragging rights number, because when it comes to travel trailers, you will exceed other weight limitations long before you ever get to the max tow rating, and that's why many people dismiss it.


Thatís where I disagree and exactly what my point is on payload. To most itís be all end all. That said not a single sole that I know can tell you who, how or why payload is established. We want to say engineers but I know for a fact there isnít a half ton I owned that I havenít exceeded payload while hauling or towing or both and my trucks never broke, or felt unsafe ( except when I hauled off cinder blocks and concrete in my 84 gmc bumper was literally two too three inches off ground when I got in the bed to grab something my front wheels came off the ground my father in-law told me. I was extremely stupid moving the truck) payload is so random as well even between models I find it to be more of a reference than a biblical number most make it up to be. Best example is hotshot drivers they have to stop at every open weigh station and I havenít found one yet that says they have their door payload sticker checked against the weight they carry
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:48 AM   #17
Camping the Natural State
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 557
The Ford Ranger has a 2.3 inline 4 and tow rating of 7700. So ...
__________________
2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614 BS
ARhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
BigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Thatís where I disagree and exactly what my point is on payload. To most itís be all end all. That said not a single sole that I know can tell you who, how or why payload is established. We want to say engineers but I know for a fact there isnít a half ton I owned that I havenít exceeded payload while hauling or towing or both and my trucks never broke, or felt unsafe ( except when I hauled off cinder blocks and concrete in my 84 gmc bumper was literally two too three inches off ground when I got in the bed to grab something my front wheels came off the ground my father in-law told me. I was extremely stupid moving the truck) payload is so random as well even between models I find it to be more of a reference than a biblical number most make it up to be. Best example is hotshot drivers they have to stop at every open weigh station and I havenít found one yet that says they have their door payload sticker checked against the weight they carry
Using the justification of the 'numbers' being meaningless because you overloaded a number of half tons that didn't burst into flames while you were performing the act is as foolish someone saying their grandma smoked two packs of cigs a day for her entire life and never had any consequences (like mine). She lived into her late 80's. ...

Ford half tons (last gen for sure) were available with different frame thicknesses. Guess what? Those different frames were assigned different GVWR and the thinner frame had less GVWR. You think they pulled those numbers out of a hat?

My dad thought like you did and we repeatedly overloaded two trucks while gathering wood for winter heat. A 3/4 ton and a half ton. We broke leaf springs on the 3/4 ton and my dad had to have the frame on the half ton welded because it was tearing near the leaf spring bracket on both sides.
__________________
21 Ram 2500 crew cab long box. 6.4 gasser 50 gallon tank.
18 Vengeance 28V
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:08 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,436
I havenít done a great job explaining, I donít consider it a meaningless number. Itís just when my moms Dodge Dart or the little escape from work both have a 1k plus payload then you have nicely loaded half ton truck sitting on a solid frame with only 2 to 3 hundred pounds extra payload.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
BigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I havenít done a great job explaining, I donít consider it a meaningless number. Itís just when my moms Dodge Dart or the little escape from work both have a 1k plus payload then you have nicely loaded half ton truck sitting on a solid frame with only 2 to 3 hundred pounds extra payload.
What does a 3200lb car have to do with the GVWR of a half ton truck?
__________________
21 Ram 2500 crew cab long box. 6.4 gasser 50 gallon tank.
18 Vengeance 28V
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500, sierra

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.