Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #41

Yup, I am seriously thinking the Winn Micro Mini and even possibly a Grand Design Imagine XLS.....probably the Winn..........love the build quality.
Whichever one of those two brands, it will be a bunkhouse without a slide. That will save some weight and dollars.
On a limited income Disable former Deputy I have to really go with what I have for a truck. The trailer is the main necessity (obviously) LOL. I should be in at 4,700 to 5,000 lbs tow weight and should be able to be right at my CCC by cutting down on some extra's. The Tundra's with the tow package has some good brakes plus I have plenty of experience using gears and trailer brakes. Drove semi's 20 years, everything from 28 ft to 53 feet and doubles.
A toolbox would be a nice "in instead of" for a shell but in bed tool boxes are hard to find deep enough to put my gas/LP inverter/generator.
Having a bunk model will make a good conversion for storage, Li batteries, hybrid inverter room and leave a bunk open for a Grandchild when they come.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #42

Whew! I don't know!

My first Tundra, now my son's, was an '07 / 4.7 Limited package with 7,000 pound tow capacity but 2x4. I towed a 7K+ trailer for a short amount of time on one occasion and thought it not a long-term option. I think you'll be asking a lot from the 1st gen Tundra and need to upsize the truck.

My current 2nd gen Tundra, a '12 Platinum Crewmax with short bed and 9,000 pound tow capacity does fine pulling our 7.5K FR Surveyor, but at the expense of gas mileage which goes in the proverbial black tank with the . . . uh . . . stuff in the black tank!

Bottom line, as good as Toyotas are and as long-lived as they are, there are still limits. And I think you'll be frustrated towing with what I'm sure is a great older, but undersized, Tundra.

Best wishes!
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #43

Even though your tundra is barely broken in, you might want to consider getting a newer one so you won't worry about weight. Mine can tow 11,000 pounds. Plus the newer ones come with navigation, larger fuel tanks, integrated trailer brakes, and more. And, unlike the fords and chevys I have owned, has never broken down. There is a reason why you see lots of fords, dodge, and chevys in toyota lots, but no tundras at the ford, chevy and dodge lots. Besides, the tundra is american made. Not foreign like the others. The only thing American in those is the billionaires who profit from the outsourcing.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #44
Dobbs from WI

First off I truly miss my '06 SR5 Tundra. I pulled a 2008 Palomino Puma 19FS with a dry weight of like 4300 lbs. That was absolutely all the trailer I would want behind me with that truck.
We wanted a bigger trailer so I traded the Tundra for a 2013 F-150, max tow, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.73. I hardly knew that Puma was there when I towed it to the new owner. So what I'm saying is you just might want to check out a bigger more capable tow vehicle.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #45

I have a 2018 F-150 Super Crew 5.0L, 3.31 rears, 10 speed auto, trailering package, 6.5 ft bed, 1828 cargo weight. We tow a 2017 Grey Wolf Pup(3900 dry weight / 455 tongue weight). Probably 4500# loaded. No trouble going from A to B.
Mountaineer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #46

2014' problem here is that dogs too old. Columbus beat ya by a tad.
1794 Tundra Crew Max
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #47
Newbie-big time

I’m sorry but this note is a bit off the current discussion; keeping the Tundra and downsizing or compromising on the camper may not be the best idea because:

You mention at the get go “primarily full timing”. Those campers might be a little tight after several days trapped inside in bad weather or, perhaps, the occasional need for some alone time .

Our GeoPro is just right for the two of us and we like each other a lot, but a couple weeks is about right.
SSBN624Gold NUC Engineering
ItsThe2ofUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #48

Tundra towing

Can I buy a used space shuttle and modify it with electric brakes, propane fridge and a Murphy bed?? I saw the TV ad that says I can tow it!!
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #49

Mike Z

Love my Tundra 5.7 Liter with heavy towing package. Have a Rockwood 2650 WS fifth wheel. 7700 lbs. Tows great
zanoffmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:17 AM   #50

Just sell it and buy a real truck
Kylekessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:33 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Can I buy a used space shuttle and modify it with electric brakes, propane fridge and a Murphy bed?? I saw the TV ad that says I can tow it!!
Of course you can, this is AMERICA damn it!
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #52

We owned a 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and towed a 1976 28’ Argosy for several years. We had a Hensley Arrow anti sway hitch and fully loaded at approximately 10,000 Pounds. We never had power issues with the 4.7L nor did we have control issues on the highway in wind or on hills. We were still new at towing and a little green then but I can tell you that ‘Toy’ is a keeper and I would take it over any of the big 3. We now have a 2021 Tundra with the 5.7L towing our 22FBS Flagstaff but I would feel safe towing it with your truck any day.
Keep your Tundra it’s an incredible vehicle and reliable too but if you change your truck go with the new Tundra, you’ll be happy you did.
Safe travels. 👋😎
Old 03-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #53

I completely agree buddy!
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #54

If keeping the truck, size the trailer to the truck, or you will regret the decision.

I tried looking up specs, looked at 3 sites and found 3 different lists. Wheel base anywhere from 128" to 140", GVWR 6300 to 6800.

Anyway, if its a 128" WB, you will have the tail wagging the dog issue if too long a trailer, 140" WB is better for most up to 25'.

One thing I did see consistent, 26 gallon tank. Towing you will be seeing 7-9 MPG, so expect lots of stops to fill the tank.

Everything else will base off your payload. Here is what you Should do before anything else. Pack the truck as you believe you will be driving it, with the wife and critters and head over to a CAT scale and weigh the truck. Take your trucks GVWR and subtract your scale ticket from it. Thats your available payload. Now divide that by 13% and the result will be the GVWR of the trailer to look at. Stick at or under that number and you will won't have to worry about overloading the truck.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
Even though your tundra is barely broken in, you might want to consider getting a newer one so you won't worry about weight. Mine can tow 11,000 pounds. Plus the newer ones come with navigation, larger fuel tanks, integrated trailer brakes, and more. And, unlike the fords and chevys I have owned, has never broken down. There is a reason why you see lots of fords, dodge, and chevys in toyota lots, but no tundras at the ford, chevy and dodge lots. Besides, the tundra is american made. Not foreign like the others. The only thing American in those is the billionaires who profit from the outsourcing.
I totally agree buddy!
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeTim View Post
We owned a 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and towed a 1976 28’ Argosy for several years. We had a Hensley Arrow anti sway hitch and fully loaded at approximately 10,000 Pounds. We never had power issues with the 4.7L nor did we have control issues on the highway in wind or on hills. We were still new at towing and a little green then but I can tell you that ‘Toy’ is a keeper and I would take it over any of the big 3. We now have a 2021 Tundra with the 5.7L towing our 22FBS Flagstaff but I would feel safe towing it with your truck any day.
Keep your Tundra it’s an incredible vehicle and reliable too but if you change your truck go with the new Tundra, you’ll be happy you did.
Safe travels. 👋😎
Thanks Tim, if I was to trade at all it would be for a newer Tundra although I dislike the larger size that they are.
That 1st gen Tundra is actually a tough truck with the TRD and tow packages. Tundras have always had good brakes which I'm comfortable with anyway and know how to use the transmission and trailer brakes after 20 years of semi driving. It already from the factory has a oil cooler, bilsteins, trans cooler which I'm going to add a extra one, I'll add either Sumo's or Timbrens. With the 4.30 rear it's set up pretty decent. Without a doubt equal to large SUV's, Canyons, etc.
Last year I had a brake job done, all belts (including serpentine) new water pump, all hoses replaced at Toyota, tune up, radiator back flushed, trans drained and new filter. The truck runs crazy good,especially when you put it in tow/haul it turns into a whole different truck. I have no problem running just 55 and I know it will be a thirsty girl but gas is cheaper than truck payments. I figure I'll probably get 8-10 MPG.....about the same as if I had a Class C M.H. I'll just have to stop more often but I need to anyway with my health issues. 250-300 mile days is all I want to do anyway.....I want to enjoy the ride and sights along the way.
I have my "extra's" adjusted to where I'll be just below CCC Max. In fact there's a new trailer as a possibility: Northwoods Nash is in the running. They went from stick & tin to aluminum/fiberglass walls, back, front. They make a top quality boondocking trailer already with shocks and upgraded suspension. It has a dry weight of 4177 lbs. Loaded I'll be at 25% below my tow rating and with carry capacity will be good. It already has a gen/inverter compartment so I won't need a shell after all. Price is actually very doable.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Thanks Tim, if I was to trade at all it would be for a newer Tundra although I dislike the larger size that they are.
That 1st gen Tundra is actually a tough truck with the TRD and tow packages. Tundras have always had good brakes which I'm comfortable with anyway and know how to use the transmission and trailer brakes after 20 years of semi driving. It already from the factory has a oil cooler, bilsteins, trans cooler which I'm going to add a extra one, I'll add either Sumo's or Timbrens. With the 4.30 rear it's set up pretty decent. Without a doubt equal to large SUV's, Canyons, etc.
Last year I had a brake job done, all belts (including serpentine) new water pump, all hoses replaced at Toyota, tune up, radiator back flushed, trans drained and new filter. The truck runs crazy good,especially when you put it in tow/haul it turns into a whole different truck. I have no problem running just 55 and I know it will be a thirsty girl but gas is cheaper than truck payments. I figure I'll probably get 8-10 MPG.....about the same as if I had a Class C M.H. I'll just have to stop more often but I need to anyway with my health issues. 250-300 mile days is all I want to do anyway.....I want to enjoy the ride and sights along the way.
I have my "extra's" adjusted to where I'll be just below CCC Max. In fact there's a new trailer as a possibility: Northwoods Nash is in the running. They went from stick & tin to aluminum/fiberglass walls, back, front. They make a top quality boondocking trailer already with shocks and upgraded suspension. It has a dry weight of 4177 lbs. Loaded I'll be at 25% below my tow rating and with carry capacity will be good. It already has a gen/inverter compartment so I won't need a shell after all. Price is actually very doable.
Sounds like you know what you’re doing, that’s awesome! Our 2000 Tundra was totalled around 2006 but was still drivable since the frame wasn’t bent so my brother in law bought it and has been using it as an on-site construction vehicle since. The poor truck looks like hell since they run the crap out of it on the construction sites but it still runs like a top.
You have a well built truck and I agree the size is perfect, I love my new Tundra but still miss my first gen
Enjoy your travels and be safe out there.
Tim
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
............I have my "extra's" adjusted to where I'll be just below CCC Max. In fact there's a new trailer as a possibility: Northwoods Nash is in the running. They went from stick & tin to aluminum/fiberglass walls, back, front. They make a top quality boondocking trailer already with shocks and upgraded suspension. It has a dry weight of 4177 lbs. Loaded I'll be at 25% below my tow rating and with carry capacity will be good. It already has a gen/inverter compartment so I won't need a shell after all. Price is actually very doable.
Just beware you read the specs correctly on the Nash Trailers. The Only Nash TT I found with "your listed" 4177 dry weight is the Nash 17K, but that is the Axle dry weight, not the trailer's dry weight. The actual dry weight of the Nash 17K is 4766 lbs. which would be the Dry axle weight (4177) plus the Dry Hitch weight (589) = 4766 lbs.
If you use all the Nash 17K's CCC (2634 lbs) you end up with a 7400 lb trailer (888 lb Tongue weight at 12%) plus the actual WDH weight (100 lbs approx)

I realize you're looking closely at the 'numbers' to stay within your truck's specs, so I'm just trying to help you to look at the correct numbers. The Nash numbers can be deceiving by showing a dry axle weight as their first number. Good luck with your decision. Be safe.
-Russ

Nash 17K Specifications (from the Northwood-Nash site):
Dry Axle Weight (approx. Lbs.): 4177
Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.): 589
Net Carrying Capacity: 2634
Gross Dry Weight (approx. Lbs.): 4766
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR)-Lbs.: 7400
Exterior Length (approx. w / hitch): 22’4″
Exterior Height (approx.): 11’1″ incl. AC
Exterior Width (approx.): 8′
Tire Size: ST205/75R15
Load Range: D
Fresh Water Capacity (w/water heater, approx. gal.): 50
Gray Water Tank (approx. gallons): 35
Black Water Tank (approx. gallons): 36
LPG Capacity (approx. lbs): 60
Sleeping Capacity: 4
CSA – Canadian Dealers Only: YES
Auto Ignition Furnace (1,000 BTUs): 25
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #59
Site Team

I was thinking the same thing. Arctic Fox/Nash trailers are MUCH heavier than comparable ultralight trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Arctic Fox/Nash trailers are MUCH heavier than comparable ultralight trailers.
What RET.LEO posted in his OP, that his intended use would be to boondock on BLM lands, this would be a good option because its built to handle the rougher terrain getting into some of the BLM areas. But, the heavier construction comes into conflict with RET.LEO attempt to stay within his TV's limits.

I am sure he will come up with the right combination to help him reach his goals safely as he has been doing a great deal of research looking for viable options.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tundra