Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Sigh. IF only the local CAT scales would allow RV/TT/5er weighing. There is a large sign "Commercial Vehicles Only" at the scales. I went in once to ask about weighing the truck/TT and was told, rather bluntly, NO--Commercial Vehicles Only. The next closest one to me is 75 miles away.

At a truck stop? I’ve weighed a dozen or more times and have been in hundreds of truck stops (I’ve earned a cute nickname- they call me Lil Lizard!)... and I’ve never been turned away nor have I noticed a sign that says “commercial vehicles only”.

Where are you trying to go and what brand is it?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I don't think you should unhook on the scale and some don't allow it.
We had to go park, unhook, then get back onto the scale. They even had an issue with us undoing our weight distribution bars in the lot just before getting back onto the scale. We had to park in a space to unhook the camper completely to get the TV only weight. And they were not busy, no trucks waiting to get weighed.
That would work as well.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #23

I have never used a cat scale- but on the web site it shows how to weigh your RV

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
Old 04-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #24

Just to clarify. The CAT Scales consist of three weighing platforms. You position your rig with the front tow vehicle on the first one, the tow vehicle rear axle(s) on the second one and your trailer on the third one. When you get your weigh slip it is spelled out this way. If you are weighing your tow vehicle only the trailer weight will show as 000 lbs.

Try to position your tow vehicle so that the axles are as close to centered on their respective weigh platforms as possible.

I have not tried it but I suspect to get the separate axle weights on the trailer you would have to pull forward until the tow vehicle is entirely off of the platforms and the trailer axles span the two platforms normally used by the TV.

In my limited experience moving the rig back and forward on the platforms causes minor differences in weight.

Also bear in mind that the scales will not work if your rig is too light. They are designed to handle tractor trailer weighing.

I also try to let the professional drivers who are on a time clock go ahead of me and definitely minimize my time on the scales. I found the staff at the two truck stops I have used to be very helpful and courteous.

This thread, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...pp-156630.html is more informative that what I posted. Sorry.
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
Just to clarify. The CAT Scales consist of three weighing platforms. You position your rig with the front tow vehicle on the first one, the tow vehicle rear axle(s) on the second one and your trailer on the third one. When you get your weigh slip it is spelled out this way. If you are weighing your tow vehicle only the trailer weight will show as 000 lbs.

Try to position your tow vehicle so that the axles are as close to centered on their respective weigh platforms as possible.

I have not tried it but I suspect to get the separate axle weights on the trailer you would have to pull forward until the tow vehicle is entirely off of the platforms and the trailer axles span the two platforms normally used by the TV.

In my limited experience moving the rig back and forward on the platforms causes minor differences in weight.

Also bear in mind that the scales will not work if your rig is too light. They are designed to handle tractor trailer weighing.

I also try to let the professional drivers who are on a time clock go ahead of me and definitely minimize my time on the scales. I found the staff at the two truck stops I have used to be very helpful and courteous.
At the CAT scale near us the operator couches you when to stop on the scale via the loudspeaker at the scales itself.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
At the CAT scale near us the operator couches you when to stop on the scale via the loudspeaker at the scales itself.

That’s awesome but unusual. In my dozen or so weighings, I’ve never heard from the scale operator.

I usually just pull up until my truck is just behind the call button. That lines my truck and camper up on each scale appropriately.

I used to use the call button but now I’m in love with the Weigh My Truck app.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #27

Went to scales yday and weighed my new camper...Worried about capability of towing camper without hurting my truck!

My number Scale tics showed help me understand and tell me if my Distribution System is installed wrong by dealer...

2015 F150 V6 Ecoboost 3.55 Max Tow 145"
Reese 4pt Trunnion Distribution system...

For some reason the weight didnt move around like it should have after System was installed!

Scale Tics:
1st Pic was Tv/TT W/DS
2nd Pic was TV
3rd was TV/TT w/o DS

Didnt move weight off rear axle to front axle with Ds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_173101.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	172320   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_173106.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	172321   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_173056.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	172322  
jpcampisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #28

I don't understand what is happening. When you add weight distribution to a hitched truck/trailer the rear tire weight should go down, the front tire weight should go up, and the trailer weight should go up. The tickets only show the trailer weight going up. I you measure the distance from the ground to the top of the front tire wheel well you should see that distance decrease when add weight distribution. I think something is not right with the hitch.
pete100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #29

I agree, that doesn't look right. I readjusted my E2 hitch a month ago and hit the CAT scales. You might want to setup the hitch from scratch. Our setup was ok for the empty trailer, but i added another washer after loading the camper up.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #30

I understand how the Cat Scale works since I have Cdl for my part time work but something just not right w the numbers on scale tickets and at first I thought I was reading them backwards but the time stamp shows different....Guess I will have to have them measure and do it that way along w starting over on the setup since that DS has setting along Washers to adjust it...Thanks
jpcampisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #31

I looks to me like on your third weighing you may have had your rear truck tires partially touching the first scale. I would do that weighing again. There is no other way to explain these numbers.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
Canadian Member

Your tickets are showing that the WDH is adding 300# to the front axle and almost 2/3 of the transferred weight is coming from the trailer axles.

IMO, if your setup brings the front fender back down at least half of the amount it raised w/o the WDH (but not lower than unloaded) and the trailer is sitting level, that’s what you want the WDH to do. If your TV is below its GVWR and it’s axles are under their GAWR then you’re good to go.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #33

How does the CAT scale give tongue weight? I saw on the spread sheet you had it listed but I thought it was just per axle and over all weight?
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #34

kk5fe, it's a bit of arithmetic. GVW of TV (first two scales) with trailer but, without WDH minus GVW of TV only. Without WDH, the difference of the unhitched weight and the hitched weight is due to the weight on the tongue.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
kk5fe, it's a bit of arithmetic. GVW of TV (first two scales) with trailer but, without WDH minus GVW of TV only. Without WDH, the difference of the unhitched weight and the hitched weight is due to the weight on the tongue.
Ahh.... ok understood. Thanks for the explanation.
I’ve read of folks removing the bars for certain measurements.
I’m not that comfortable in doing that. I believe without the bars attached would exceed the manufacture specs of the hitch on the truck.
I’ve seen some youtube videos of using a bathroom scale and a fulcrum of sorts to get the front end weight. Although that way isn’t exact..... but close.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5fe View Post
I’m not that comfortable in doing that. I believe without the bars attached would exceed the manufacture specs of the hitch on the truck.
Like then fall apart and break off? If you can't do that then your trailer is way too big for the truck.

I found out after 60k miles that my factory dodge hitch wasn't good enough for 1500 lb toung weight. It didn't break off but slowly was bending over 60k miles of towing... a trip around the parking lot won't hurt you without bars.

Updated hitch and new double shank stinger fixed it all no further issues.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #37

Thanks from a CAT Scale virgin. We have had our previous 40' Class A weighed multiple times at Escapee Rallies. We get "full" weights and then "4-wheel" weights so we can improve load balance.
We now have a new Isata 3 Series 24FW and want to weigh it.
At CAT scales I suspect we can't get individual wheel weights but can we do separate re-weighs for front axle and rear axle?
Today I weighed our 2006 Honda CR-V - 3,620 lbs. -- to determine "curb weight" for hitch tiwing 4-down.
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrvers View Post
Thanks from a CAT Scale virgin. We have had our previous 40' Class A weighed multiple times at Escapee Rallies. We get "full" weights and then "4-wheel" weights so we can improve load balance.
We now have a new Isata 3 Series 24FW and want to weigh it.
At CAT scales I suspect we can't get individual wheel weights but can we do separate re-weighs for front axle and rear axle?
Today I weighed our 2006 Honda CR-V - 3,620 lbs. -- to determine "curb weight" for hitch tiwing 4-down.
Cat scale usually has 3 pads. Front rear and trailer setup for 18 wheelers typical length. Most pickups and trailers can also make it work. Right and left might be hard to accomplish as they usually are in truck stops and have lots of traffic control. State scales with small stations around me have just a single pad and i know of one gas card lock that is a pad in the middle of a parking lot. So look around call around vs just CAT. Fyi at a CAT scale you can ask for multiple re-weighs that are discounted for each after the first full price weigh but you need the first weigh ticket number. Sometimes you can go in tell them what you want to do to make trips inside fewer.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #39

Has anyone encountered a CAT scale that thought was out of calibration? The reason I ask is This past Saturday I went to my local CAT scan to get the weight of just my TV, a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD, Dmax, CC, 4x4, 6.5’ bed, the weights I received have me scratching my head. It was just my wife and I with a full tank of fuel, the front axle weight was 5020# and the RAW was 3460#. The steer axle weight seems a bit much to me. Does it seem that way to anyone else?
jenandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandrand View Post
Has anyone encountered a CAT scale that thought was out of calibration? The reason I ask is This past Saturday I went to my local CAT scan to get the weight of just my TV, a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD, Dmax, CC, 4x4, 6.5’ bed, the weights I received have me scratching my head. It was just my wife and I with a full tank of fuel, the front axle weight was 5020# and the RAW was 3460#. The steer axle weight seems a bit much to me. Does it seem that way to anyone else?
Not familiar with the Silverado's, but yeah, the front's gonna be heavy. Diesels are heavy engines.

Tags
cat, scales