Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 446
2nd visit to CAT Scales

Just made my 2nd visit to CAT Scales and wanted to share results for all those interested. I've attached a spreadsheet (actually, a docx of a spreadsheet...didn't find xlsx available to upload...user error?) that has both the 1st and latest measurements included. The conversation after the first visit can be found here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...in-121166.html

Here are a few major changes/additions to my rig since 1st visit:
* Installed Jack-It bike carrier on the tongue
* Moved 2 bikes out of truck bed to Jack-It carrier
* 6 ton bottle jack stowed in trailer
* BAL X Chock stowed in trailer
* 235 lb. passenger plus personal gear in truck
* I'm now using 10 links on the Blue Ox

Below are a few observations from the 2nd visit:
* Truck axle weights are well within limits
* Truck GVW is only 60 pounds from being over GVWR
* GCW has some capacity left but with GVWR so close, I'm about maxed with this rig.
* Trailer axle weights are 20 lbs. combined over. I'm not going to worry about this but I've certainly hit a limit that I'll have to consider maxed at this point.
* GVW of trailer has very little room left as expected considering GAW's but are under none-the-less. Yet another indicator that I've hit a limit.
* 660 lb. tongue weight has increased from 1st visit but still well centered in limits...and is well within my 750 lb. Blue Ox spring bars.

Overall, I just completed a 750 mile trip from N. Florida to Lake Lanier above Atlanta and back and the rig handled beautifully. Plus my mileage was 11.8 for that trip...not too shabby.

BTW...let me pass this on re: CAT scales procedures for any CAT scales virgins:
* Pull right in and get your first measurement
* Park your rig and enter the store to pay for your first weigh and receive your weigh slip. Explain that you will be coming through for 2 RE-WEIGHS.
* Prepare your rig for the first re-weigh.
* Enter scales and tell the attendant that you want a re-weigh for ticket number "1234" (substitute the 4 digits in the lower left corner of your weigh slip for the ticket number above. These 4 digits will be the last 4 digits of the ticket number found on the top of the weigh slip.)
* Prepare your rig for the 2nd re-weigh.
* Enter scales and tell the attendant that you want a re-weigh for ticket number "1234" (same weigh slip number as before).
* Park rig and see attendant to pay for and retrieve your 2 re-weigh tickets.

The first weigh cost me $11 last week. The 2 re-weighs were $2 each.

All comments welcomed. Hope this is found to be useful. Thanks again to ependydad for Towing Planner - towing capability calculators!
Attached Files
File Type: docx cat_scales.docx (14.3 KB, 283 views)
__________________
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
Youíre welcome!
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 292
Some CAT scales you can use the app on your phone, you set it up ahead of time with your profile and credit card.

When you get to the scales, just open app, enter cat scale number (listed right there on the post) hit "weigh" and your all set (takes about 3 minutes to complete)

It will let you know the weights right on the app, and also email you the copy. Never have to leave your vehicle. If you so desire you can still go in to retrieve the paper copy.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 446
kamper00, that sounds easy enough. How does it differentiate between the initial weigh and re-weighs? I only ask from a cost standpoint as the initial weigh for me last week was $11 and the re-weighs were $2/each.

Thanks for the info!
__________________
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
kamper00, that sounds easy enough. How does it differentiate between the initial weigh and re-weighs? I only ask from a cost standpoint as the initial weigh for me last week was $11 and the re-weighs were $2/each.



Thanks for the info!

I donít think it does them.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 148
Good info. I hit the CAT scales and the people working were sooo confused by what I was trying to do I felt as if I was speaking a different language.
__________________
2018 Rockwood Roo 19
2007 Lexus GX470 4.7 V8
jonshonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 292
I am not sure how it differentiates between it, the cost to me was the same, $11 and $2, when I went to just weigh the truck it was treated as a re-weigh.
Maybe because I came back to weigh the truck within a certain amount of time.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 446
Well, that's cool! I'll have to give it a try next time. Thanks for the info!
__________________
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
herbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: On the move
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
Good info. I hit the CAT scales and the people working were sooo confused by what I was trying to do I felt as if I was speaking a different language.
And to think those people deal with truck drivers every day! That must be real confusing!
__________________
Days camped in 15-180 days-16-95 days
17--114 days-18-71-days
19-32

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,TV-2015 LTZ Duramax with over 156,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 11,700 miles
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Some CAT scales you can use the app on your phone, you set it up ahead of time with your profile and credit card.

When you get to the scales, just open app, enter cat scale number (listed right there on the post) hit "weigh" and your all set (takes about 3 minutes to complete)

It will let you know the weights right on the app, and also email you the copy. Never have to leave your vehicle. If you so desire you can still go in to retrieve the paper copy.
Wow, that's cool! Didn't know about that.
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
2nd visit to CAT Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
I am not sure how it differentiates between it, the cost to me was the same, $11 and $2, when I went to just weigh the truck it was treated as a re-weigh.

Maybe because I came back to weigh the truck within a certain amount of time.

Oh nice! I thought Iíd read that the app didnít handle re-weighs.

My wife will appreciate it. Sheís the one who gets stuck running inside and walking to wherever Iíve parked and dropped the camper.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 186
First trip out, I stopped at a CAT Scale and did the initial weight plus THREE subsequent weights for $11 plus $2 for each re-weight. Last weight was to see what difference an additional link dropped on the WD hitch made. App sounds nice but all of this wasnít too bad. Comforting to know I am within specs.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 446
Just read this in one of the reviews for the CAT Scales app on Google Play Store submitted by the CAT Scale Company on 11/12/16:

"You can do a reweigh on the app. When eligible for a reweigh (reweighs can be done 24 hours from the original weigh), the app will prompt you to select first weigh or a reweigh. Your Friends at CAT Scale"

Interesting and very convenient. Anything to make the process easier and thus get more folks to make the effort.

Also, on another review, another comment by "Your Friends at CAT Scale" mentioned the ability to pull up weigh history is planned for a future release of the app.

Many thanks to kamper00 and Waterops1 for some very useful info!
__________________
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Oh nice! I thought Iíd read that the app didnít handle re-weighs.

My wife will appreciate it. Sheís the one who gets stuck running inside and walking to wherever Iíve parked and dropped the camper.
When I set up my app I called CAT in Iowa regarding the re-weigh. I was told that the app can determines the re-weigh based upon the length of time from the previous (initial) weigh. i.e. if it is less than x hours from previous weigh it is calculated as a re-weigh.
__________________

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch

Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,733
I used the CAT phone app this summer and did reweighs. There's a button in the app.

It's really convenient. No more standing on the running boards to get to the button and yelling at the speaker.
__________________
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L Ecoboost, 1700# payload
- 2020 Rockwood 2507S
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,251
For the reweigh you can simply unhook your 5er or TT on the trailer scale so both the jack/landing gear and trailer axles are on that pad. Drive your truck forward to get both axles on the individual pads and tell the attendant you are ready. Then you will have all the information about truck and trailer separate and hooked up.

All you need do then is back up, hook up, pay and be done. Subtract reweigh value of rear axle from initial rear axle weight and get the Pin or Tongue weight.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
For the reweigh you can simply unhook your 5er or TT on the trailer scale so both the jack/landing gear and trailer axles are on that pad. Drive your truck forward to get both axles on the individual pads and tell the attendant you are ready. Then you will have all the information about truck and trailer separate and hooked up.

All you need do then is back up, hook up, pay and be done. Subtract reweigh value of rear axle from initial rear axle weight and get the Pin or Tongue weight.
I don't think you should unhook on the scale and some don't allow it.
We had to go park, unhook, then get back onto the scale. They even had an issue with us undoing our weight distribution bars in the lot just before getting back onto the scale. We had to park in a space to unhook the camper completely to get the TV only weight. And they were not busy, no trucks waiting to get weighed.
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
For the reweigh you can simply unhook your 5er or TT on the trailer scale so both the jack/landing gear and trailer axles are on that pad. Drive your truck forward to get both axles on the individual pads and tell the attendant you are ready. Then you will have all the information about truck and trailer separate and hooked up.

All you need do then is back up, hook up, pay and be done. Subtract reweigh value of rear axle from initial rear axle weight and get the Pin or Tongue weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I don't think you should unhook on the scale and some don't allow it.
We had to go park, unhook, then get back onto the scale. They even had an issue with us undoing our weight distribution bars in the lot just before getting back onto the scale. We had to park in a space to unhook the camper completely to get the TV only weight. And they were not busy, no trucks waiting to get weighed.
Agreed. You should pull away to a parking space to unhitch and rehitch.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I used the CAT phone app this summer and did reweighs. There's a button in the app.

It's really convenient. No more standing on the running boards to get to the button and yelling at the speaker.


LOL

I'm 5' 3 and previous I stood on the seat trying to reach the button
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,270
Sigh. IF only the local CAT scales would allow RV/TT/5er weighing. There is a large sign "Commercial Vehicles Only" at the scales. I went in once to ask about weighing the truck/TT and was told, rather bluntly, NO--Commercial Vehicles Only. The next closest one to me is 75 miles away.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, scales

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.