Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wow, my F150 has nearly 2100 lb payload.
Those other brands are hauling a lot more weight n the body than your aluminum body. That goes straight to payload.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #82

I've owned Chevy, Ford, and RAM trucks.
The Chevy had engine problems at 30k miles that Chevy refused to cover.
I don't reward poor designs backed by poor service.
So they aren't on the list for me.

My Fords and my RAM all gave me good value for the money.
RAMS are rust buckets if you live in a road salt state.
They have design flaws that promote the rust.
So the new truck is a Ford.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I just built an F350 XLT on the Ford site and selected the 11,400 lbs GVWR option and it did add different tires. Everything else was the same as selecting 10,000 lbs GVWR.

I would not want to buy a used F350 that has all the kit for 11,400 lbs GVWR and the sticker says 10,000 lbs GVWR. That's a huge difference in payload. And if you believe the weight police, you will burn in hell if you exceed the sticker CCC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
This is what I typically see. I can't speak for other manufacturers but GM only changes tires. Everything else remains the same.
So...at least in cases like this the owner of the 10,000 GVWR truck would actually have 1400 lbs more payload than the yellow sticker would indicate, eh?
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
So...at least in cases like this the owner of the 10,000 GVWR truck would actually have 1400 lbs more payload than the yellow sticker would indicate, eh?
If the tires support it, yes. The sticky part is if anything happens that would involve law enforcement they could examine the sticker and determine the vehicle to be overloaded. I'd think that would be exceedingly rare, but it's something to consider.

Trying not to say the quiet part out loud...... a derate sticker is put on a truck so the customer can avoid having to comply with strict DOT regulations and the manufacturer can avoid having to produce a completely different truck. Many customers purposefully purchase these and load the truck to it's actual capabilities rather than it's derated sticker. I cannot advise such action but I assure you there are a great number of folks doing this, business and government entities included.
carguy4471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #85

Quote:
Derating is done for regulatory reasons, to avoid DOT regulations. When a dealer orders a truck there is a check box for having it derated. On a 3/4 ton the box is default checked when ordering.

A derated truck is no different than one that was not, aside from the sticker. It’s capabilities are the same.
Quote:
...a derate sticker is put on a truck so the customer can avoid having to comply with strict DOT regulations and the manufacturer can avoid having to produce a completely different truck....
So the $25k question is: How many 3/4s rated at 10,000 GVWR are actually capable of significantly greater payloads?

I assume (or maybe suspect) that derate stickers aren't a surefire indication of this (i.e., my 2018 RAM 2500 could actually have a GVWR of 10,800 or 11,400 or who knows?).
Old 02-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #86

Quote:
So the $25k question is: How many 3/4s rated at 10,000 GVWR are actually capable of significantly greater payloads?

I assume (or maybe suspect) that derate stickers aren't a surefire indication of this (i.e., my 2018 RAM 2500 could actually have a GVWR of 10,800 or 11,400 or who knows?).
That's a great question, and I'd guess it's better than half.

This is why I always encourage folks to get a build sheet for their truck. You can usually find out if it's a derate from that.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #87

Quote:
That's a great question, and I'd guess it's better than half.

This is why I always encourage folks to get a build sheet for their truck. You can usually find out if it's a derate from that.
But if the manufacturers don't want to build two different 3/4 tons depending upon what GVWR the customer orders, wouldn't ALL 3/4 tons from said manufacturer have a real-world GVWR > 10K and, as stated, almost always be derated by default when ordered?

The Build Sheet link I use for RAMs is

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Would that build sheet include a notification of derating, or is it not the "official" one?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:17 PM   #88

Quote:
But if the manufacturers don't want to build two different 3/4 tons depending upon what GVWR the customer orders, wouldn't ALL 3/4 tons from said manufacturer have a real-world GVWR > 10K and, as stated, almost always be derated by default when ordered?

The Build Sheet link I use for RAMs is

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Would that build sheet include a notification of derating, or is it not the "official" one?
Usually they have a few configurations over 10k, but derating prevents them from having to tool up for another one. So it isn't keeping config options to only one, but rather 4 instead of 5, or 6 instead of 7.

Depending on the manufacturer the public available build sheet may not indicate. And they never say derate. They usually indicate 10k gvwr as part of the build not the specs. Dead giveaway.

Chevrolet as an example has an RPO code of "C7A Lowered GVWR, 10,000 lbs" that appears on the build.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #89

Quote:
...Depending on the manufacturer the public available build sheet may not indicate. And they never say derate. They usually indicate 10k gvwr as part of the build not the specs. Dead giveaway.

Chevrolet as an example has an RPO code of "C7A Lowered GVWR, 10,000 lbs" that appears on the build.
Here's mine for the RAM:

Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
GVW Rating - 10000#
Old 02-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #90

Quote:
Here's mine for the RAM:

Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
GVW Rating - 10000#
I am purely speculating but 10k is an awfully round number. I'd suspect that is derated. If you want to PM me your VIN I can have my Ram store pull the build.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #91

I have had all three brands in diesel configuration. The Ram appeals most to me, has been very reliable and is comfortable. My 2016, other than a slew of recalls at first, has been flawless. The Cummin's motor rocks. In a 3/4 ton configuration with a short bed it works well in town but is excellent on the road. I can see holding on to this truck for another 5 years easily.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
I have had all three brands in diesel configuration. The Ram appeals most to me, has been very reliable and is comfortable. My 2016, other than a slew of recalls at first, has been flawless. The Cummin's motor rocks. In a 3/4 ton configuration with a short bed it works well in town but is excellent on the road. I can see holding on to this truck for another 5 years easily.
I really enjoy hearing the stories of how well trucks have worked out for their owner. Regardless of brand I really do love it when someone gets maximum use and value from their truck! I haven't graduated to a truck yet but I hope I have the luck you've had when I do.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #93

My 2016 Ram 2500 SLT 8' ft bed 6.4 gas truck has been near flawless, since I ordered it in Jan 16. I've hit 102k miles, as a daily driver and towing my 8500 # TT. Best truck I've owned and at 70 I've had a few..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:52 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I wonder if there is any way to tell if a used truck I am looking at has a GVWR based on configuration or is it based on the original buyer choosing a lower GVWR.
The other door jamb sticker (not the payload capacity and tire information sticker) should have GVWR on it. I know my trucks have it.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:49 PM   #95

Now that would be one sweet truck!
Bramic71 is offline   Reply With Quote