Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty244 View Post
I have an xlr hyperlite 29hfs that is 7,300lbs and has 1,100lbs hitch weight. Imo this is not half ton towable. I have a 2019 ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and the hemi pulls it with ease however until I added airbags the rear squat was so bad it was practically bottomed out. I since put airbags on but it just doesn’t feel safe. Once my lease is up I’ll be getting a 3/4 ton but I’m wondering what brand has the best rear suspension so I don’t need to instal airbags again. I’ve never owned a ford but I’m looking to stick with a gasser so it’s between the ford 6.2 f250 and the ram 6.4 2500. The Chevy 6.0 specs just don’t stack up. Thanks

Forgive me if I missed this, but did you have a weight distribution hitch and if so was it set up properly?

Those numbers don't sound to big for your rig, ?
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #82

Quote:
I have an xlr hyperlite 29hfs that is 7,300lbs and has 1,100lbs hitch weight. Imo this is not half ton towable. I have a 2019 ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and the hemi pulls it with ease however until I added airbags the rear squat was so bad it was practically bottomed out. I since put airbags on but it just doesn’t feel safe. Once my lease is up I’ll be getting a 3/4 ton but I’m wondering what brand has the best rear suspension so I don’t need to instal airbags again. I’ve never owned a ford but I’m looking to stick with a gasser so it’s between the ford 6.2 f250 and the ram 6.4 2500. The Chevy 6.0 specs just don’t stack up. Thanks
Personally, I'd lean toward the Ram 2500. The Ford guys will hate me but I'm an ASE Master Tech for over 43 years and work on far too many Ford trucks. BTW, I regularly drive a 2003 Ram 1500, 5.7 with Firestone airbags pulling my 2015 FR Surveyor 33RETS. I have 1200 lb bars on the front. Are you using the correct bars ?
QQPEHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #83

Quote:
The dealer set the weight distribution for me and it was the best they could get out of it
That is your first issue, I am no expert either, But it sounds like your WD set up is not the correct spec for your trailer/TW amount.

The weight distribution bars are like different lb specs example 500lbs/800/1000/1200/1500 .

I suspect yours is 800 or 1000. But based on your supplied measurements you may need 1200 or 1500 lbs bars,

Because you are at home with Nothing to do...right
You could check:
The basic set up if you want to test it is:

Have the trailer and truck on level ground.

With the trailer disconnected and level measure the tung height.

With your air bags at zero, measure the ball height and adjust up or down on the shank to be close to the Trailer tung height.

Now hook up trailer (keep rig straight) raise jack and install bars, lower jack and test sag. If it is sagging, re raise and move up 1. link on chains, re check, repeat, IF you can't balance the truck with the weight distribution hitch, (run out of chain links) you have 1 of 2 issues. The bars are too light for the Tung weight Or the hitch on the truck is under rated and flexing instead of transferring weight back to the trailer and to the front wheels on the frame.

Cheers Ultra.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:46 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have never met a truck or trailer combo that cannot be leveled with the correct size WDH that is set up properly. That combo with a 1,600 lbs Equal-i-zer set up properly would be level. Heck, if your frames were strong enough, I could crank that sucker to the point where you wouldn't need rear wheels on the truck. Your dealer is an idiot.

Agree....there is something wrong with the set up, not the trailer or pick up size
Old 04-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #85

Quote:
I haven’t even had anything in the garage yet. I do know that when I inflated the bags to where the truck sat normally it swayed way worse than if I let it squat just a tiny bit.

This is the issue with extra air bags, they actually make handling worse.

Forget the adds to raise the rear end.

Get the WD set right first
Old 04-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #86

I HAD a 04 Ram 1500 w/5.7 Hemi, AT and towed a 2012 Cruiser Fun Finder xt 276 Toy Hauler with it using a Equalizer WD hitch w/1,000# bars. There was a bit of noticeable squat but not bad. The Ram handled the load fine and am sure the Equalizer hitch had alot to do with it for no sway, etc. However, it did seem a bit 'squashy' so installed a set of Timbren levelers. One trip and removed them as the ride was far to harsh.

When time to trade pickups, opted for a 2014 Ram 2500 w/6.4 Hemi, AT. I still tow the same camper and there is a huge, noticeable difference. There is zero squat (still use the equalizer hitch), a decent ride and the entire unit feels far more 'stable' than with the Ram 1500. I'm super pleased with the upgrade from the Ram 1500 to the Ram 2500. I never even considered a Ford or Chebbi. Also the 6.4 putting out 410 HP is no slouch pulling the camper.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #87

I just recently upgraded from a 2016 F150 to a 2019 F250 gasser. There is no comparison. The F250 can handle MUCH more payload. The payload on my F150 was 1550 pounds. The payload on my F250 is 3209 pounds.

Here are my specs:
2019 F250 XLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.75' bed

6.2L gas
3.73 locking rear axle ratio
FX4 off road package
factory steps and bed liner
factory 2.5" hitch receiver
towing capacity: 12,500 pounds
max tongue weight (as listed on hitch): 1550 pounds
payload: 3209 pounds (I LOVE THIS)
MPG: Max 16.5 (highway, unloaded), average 14.5 (daily driving, unloaded), towing big ole trailer - 8.5 or so.

I was considering getting a 2020 F250 with the 7.3, but it didn't get any better gas mileage (I test drove them the same route, back to back), and the torque was not much more than the 6.2. PLUS, I liked the 2019 better and the 6.2 with the 6 speed tranny has been around and time-tested.

Equally equipped, you will be hard pressed to find a GM or Dodge with that kind of payload (which is the most important factor).

To me, the gas engine was the way to go since it provided lower upfront cost, much lower cost of fuel and maintenance, and it provided for exceptional payload.

I like my truck more everyday...
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #88

Tow capacity is 12,660 on my Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Liter AT w/3.73 gears, 2.5" hitch receiver
Old 04-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #89

All three Trucks are good as long as they are newer models. Seems every year they get better even the 1500's or 150. Ram is Fiat they build good products especially for fast cars (Hellcat). They put quality in their Trucks like Daimler Did. Chevrolet I gave up on them since SAIC (Chinese Corp.) Owns 40% to 50% of GM. Seems they get more Chinese Parts every year. Fuel Lines!!! Ford well that's an American Truck Period. Google The Secret Deal on GM's Chinese Bailout!! Backstabbing Taxpayers. Just my backlash on PPL calling Rams Fiat when they drive Chinese Chevy's.
MikeyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
All three Trucks are good as long as they are newer models. Seems every year they get better even the 1500's or 150. Ram is Fiat they build good products especially for fast cars (Hellcat). They put quality in their Trucks like Daimler Did. Chevrolet I gave up on them since SAIC (Chinese Corp.) Owns 40% to 50% of GM. Seems they get more Chinese Parts every year. Fuel Lines!!! Ford well that's an American Truck Period. Google The Secret Deal on GM's Chinese Bailout!! Backstabbing Taxpayers. Just my backlash on PPL calling Rams Fiat when they drive Chinese Chevy's.
I jut wasted 20 minutes of my life trying to track down some facts that back up your claims. None found. It seems you have mashed a bunch of different data together to fit your point of view.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #91

Timbrens

ETrailer.com sells both the Sumo and the Timber's. The Timbren has a higher weight capacity, so it is probable stiffer. They suggested the Timber's as I was trying to reduce the squat from a nose heavy TT. What I really liked was no maintance and had no effect when there was no trailer. Trailer was very helpful and I have gotten great advice from them on several issues.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:18 PM   #92

It took me 2 minutes to find SAIC Shanghai Automotve Industries Corp. And how much of 49% ownership of GM. The Buick! The Equinox with Chinese engine. My Son's Chevy Truck with Chinese Fuel lines and Chinese Electronics. Dash Controls!!! That short...its there!
MikeyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #93

You can pull that all day at 75 with a Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost and keep it level with airbags. I had a 2013 set up pulling a WorknPlay toyhauler with a Rzr inside weighed at least 8500lbs pulled great. Truck is rated for a lot more than that!
DAHVGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
It took me 2 minutes to find SAIC Shanghai Automotve Industries Corp. And how much of 49% ownership of GM. The Buick! The Equinox with Chinese engine. My Son's Chevy Truck with Chinese Fuel lines and Chinese Electronics. Dash Controls!!! That short...its there!
It's a joint venture and SAIC owns 50% of GM Shanghai, not GM. This is silly.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #95

Truck type

Quote:
I would use the Ford..
frankhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The one with the least squat is the one you add air bags to.

I'm a 58 year Chevy man. But in the last few days, I'm starting to like Ford way better. I'm also noticing Ram ain't even being asked to help out.......cause Ram is actually Fiat.

And I hate it that those things matter...........but they do.

That said, I concur with the 1 ton. One ton SRW drive trucks are a bit harder to find.......but they exist. Also, I found out 4 years ago that many dealers don't even bother to stock/carry duallies.

In West Texas almost every dealership that can ( big 3) stock both versions of the 1 ton from base model to fully loaded
Old 04-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #97

The debate over which is better - Ram, Ford or Cheby has gone on for decades...and is likely to continue for decades.

I have driven them all and IN MY OPINION in 1/2-3/4 or 1 ton:

1. I would never buy a ford...all are gas hogs.
2. I would never buy a chevy ... just don't like them.
3. I would only buy a Dodge - Ram as best of the lot.

That is my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

:-)

Carry on.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #98

I would move to a 350(0) single rear wheel. Look very closely at the differences between the 250 and 350. When I bought my F350, I did not realize the minor differences between a 250 and a 350. The 250 could optioned “technically” into 350 territory, but, the 250 still had the lower GVWR sticker.
The differences without options:
250 Tires had less load capacity. Could be optioned up.
250 Rear springs had one leaf less. 350 had a “helper” spring that came into use when loaded (less squat). was an option on the 250
250 had a shorter spacer block between the rear springs and the axle, giving a lower rear body height. This became important when I bought a 5th, and had to lower the truck for body/trailer clearance
250 rear GAWR was less on the sticker
250 had one size smaller front spring
Shocks had the same part number
250 frame had the same “code” number on the sticker as my 350, so it was the same.
I would also order the “camper” option.

If one optioned a 250 into 350 space, cost was equal or higher than the 350. I could not tell a difference in ride until loaded. Then, glad I bought the 350.
I discovered this info when my ”car nerd brain” started to do research. If I were to buy a truck today, I would find the right truck sales person, and get deeply into the ordering book and their brain. online does not always provide the deep detailed info. You may have to search hard for the right person. I am looking at a van now, and, it is amazing what a seemingly unimportant option includes a very important detail for future upgrading.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #99

hitch

Quote:
The most important thing to know I haven't found out from you. Do you have an Equal-i-zer brand hitch or a good copy of it????? With this hitch there is no squat, no sway, no airbags, and you are safe. No truck towing a trailer with is safe without these type hitches. Watch the videos on YouTube. your present truck will tow it fine if it has a good rear end and your not off roading up hills.
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
The debate over which is better - Ram, Ford or Cheby has gone on for decades...and is likely to continue for decades.

I have driven them all and IN MY OPINION in 1/2-3/4 or 1 ton:

1. I would never buy a ford...all are gas hogs.
2. I would never buy a chevy ... just don't like them.
3. I would only buy a Dodge - Ram as best of the lot.

That is my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

:-)

Carry on.
I have a Ford motorhome (4) always have. I do a lot of mountain driving and Arizona driving, Ford passes everything on the road. I have no problems with speed or hills or mountains. Dodge may do good on flat land but you will not find Dodge in a motorhome. I've been driving a motorhome for 26 years..
frankhaas is offline   Reply With Quote