RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

3" Weight Distribution Shank?

I have a 2019 Dynaquest XL and am towing a stacker trailer. I like to run a weight distribution hitch to help with tongue weight. The RV came with a 3" shank hitch receiver and currently I am having to use an adapter to reduce the hitch size down to 2". Id like to get rid of the adapter and get a weight distribution shank with a 3" square but am unable to find one. I was curious if anyone had been able to track one down?

Thanks......
Jon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Etrailer has a 20000 pound WDH that is 2.5Ē shank, this is what I plan on using. I am going to use a piece of 3x3x1/4 tube steel as the reducer and let it extend up under the rear of the RV a few feet. I am then going to connect that end to the frame. This will held carry the twisting load of the hitch further up the frame.
Also when setting up the WDH you will need to take into consideration auto level rear air bags.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

Etrailer also sells 3” shanks with no adapter required. The fixed drop versions lower in the list are pretty reasonably priced.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...nch_Hitch.aspx
psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks.

I'd like to not run an adapter. I have one and it works but Id like to eliminate the extra pins and length on the hitch. I just feel it would be cleaner and nicer.

I did see the 3" hitches on E-Trailer but those arent for weight distribution so they wont work in this application.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

If you slip a 3x3x1/4 insert in your hitch then you use the same pin, it acts as a bushing and doesnít and any length. It is the same thing that all the HD pickups have to reduce from 2 1/2Ē down to 2Ē
Old 12-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

Doesnít add any length.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

Thanks. I had the one that came with it and it added like 6"-8". The internal reducer style will work, I hadn't thought about that.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon84 View Post
Thanks.

I'd like to not run an adapter. I have one and it works but Id like to eliminate the extra pins and length on the hitch. I just feel it would be cleaner and nicer.

I did see the 3" hitches on E-Trailer but those arent for weight distribution so they wont work in this application.
The Andersen weight distribution hitch is the only one that can come with a 3Ē shank. Itís definitely different but it gets great reviews.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ball-3--6.aspx

There is one more option that wouldnít require an adapter. The Gen-y shank can work with your current hitch (remove your existing shank). It does a great job of absorbing shock between the trailer and TV but itís really pricey.

https://genyhitch.com/product/boss-t...-distribution/

Iím in a similar situation. My current hitch has a 2-1/2Ē shank. I might just get a 2-1/2Ē to 3Ē adapter, have it welded to my shank, and call it a day.
psdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight