Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Work and Play 30FLA

30 FLA handling

I am looking at a Work and Play 30FLA. It has a very heavy tongue weight that with the gen will be about 2000 lbs. The tow vehicle is a 2500 HD Diesel. I dont want to buy the RV just to end up a nervous wreck everytime I pull it any distance. Is there anyone out there with a similar combination that can give me some feedback on the handling?
BBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The heavy tongue weight would be without any thing in the garage. Looks like the garage is about 14 - 15 feet and with it loaded, you should be able to get the tongue weight into a more reasonable area...1200 - 1300 lb.

I'd hate to pull it empty though.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

I bought a 2012 30WRS last February, At first it swayed very bad and was a real white knuckle pull, could only run at 60-62mph. I installed a 15,000 lb. Reese hitch with load leveling friction anti sway bars that solved the swaying problem. After a couple thousand miles I realized that the sway bars are a real pain to install every time I hook up, so I installed Firestone air bags with a wireless controller, so now, I just hook up (without the sway bars) level the truck with a touch of a bottom (unloaded I run 10psi, leveled up and the bed loaded with generator etc. I air up to 30 or 40psi). I found that I can now tow up to 75mph (passing, usually cruise at 65-68mph) without the load leveling anti sway bars.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Work and Play 30FLA

What are you using as a tow vehicle?
The bags sure sound like the way to go. I'm with you on the hitch install/uninstall too.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

A 2011 F250 6.7 diesel crew cab, with 3.31:1 electro locking rear axle.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
I found that I can now tow up to 75mph (passing, usually cruise at 65-68mph) without the load leveling anti sway bars.
You are recommending towing a 36 ft camper without anit-sway? Really?

The advantage of a W/D hitch set-up is that it transfers tongue weight to the front axle of the TV and the axles of the camper. Air bags on the TV does neither.

Hopefully, others will chime in. I don't care that it's a F250 or even a F350, towing that camper without W/D hitch and anti-sway is not a good plan

Dave

Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

Or at those speeds. Unless you changed to LT tires, your ST tires are only good to 65 mph.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

I would be using anti sway bars even if you are not using a WD hitch. With your set up and speed it is an accident waiting to happen.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Work and Play 30FLA

Thanks to everyone for the input. I am terrified that I am putting my family at risk and all advice is welcomed. I am in the market for tires if there are any suggestions.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

I'm just saying that with the Firestone airbags installed now on the F250 I can lift the tongue up to the same level or higher as the load leveling anti sway bars do without all the hassle of jacking up the tongue and loading the sway bars every time I tow. The 30WRS tows very steady how that it's leveled up with just the airbags on the Reese hitch without the sway bars.
I still do always carry and use the sway bars if we get in windy conditions. The point is that you can adjust your trailers attitude (tongue height) with airbags on the truck and that I found that it really effects how they tow.
As far as my trucks tire weight capacities, lifting the trailer tongue takes weight off the rear wheels of the truck and shifts it onto the trailers wheels.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm just saying that with the Firestone airbags installed now on the F250 I can lift the tongue up to the same level or higher as the load leveling anti sway bars do without all the hassle of jacking up the tongue and loading the sway bars every time.
The air bags only raise the ride height of the rear of the truck...it doesn't transfer some of the tongue weight to the front axle (and to the trailer axles). The front axle weight should close to the same hitched up or unhitched...can't do that without W/D bars. The sway bars are for more than windy days. What about an emergency lane change for example?

Dave

Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
I bought a 2012 30WRS last February, At first it swayed very bad and was a real white knuckle pull, could only run at 60-62mph. I installed a 15,000 lb. Reese hitch with load leveling friction anti sway bars that solved the swaying problem. After a couple thousand miles I realized that the sway bars are a real pain to install every time I hook up, so I installed Firestone air bags with a wireless controller, so now, I just hook up (without the sway bars) level the truck with a touch of a bottom (unloaded I run 10psi, leveled up and the bed loaded with generator etc. I air up to 30 or 40psi). I found that I can now tow up to 75mph (passing, usually cruise at 65-68mph) without the load leveling anti sway bars.
You're not serious right? 75 MPH with no weight distribution or sway control
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote