Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

360PDEK towing

I just picked up our new 360PDEK and we love it. I have an 06 CTD 3500 4x4 DRW mega cab with 6 spd manual. The truck pulls good, but we are looking to upgrade to a newer with auto trans.

My question is that I am a Cummins man and always have been. I know the book says about 2600 lbs pin weight. My thought is that is with max load. I don't have any plans on carrying much water in the tanks or plans on going to max. I am looking at the new 2014 Ram 2500 crew short bed 4x4. Tow rating of 17,200 and payload of 2100 lbs. I like the idea of the air ride and drove some over the weekend. The ride is very good.

What should I be looking for in pin weight? I plan to weigh the 3500 dry and then weigh with the RV hooked up but just the truck on the scales to see the difference and that will tell me actual pin weight.

My 06 only has 95,000 miles and is in great shape, but I work in Houston and will be traveling back and forth to home with a good bit of highway time. The DRW and 6 spd manual are not the most comfortable for the city driving.

What are the thoughts on the 2500 for our RV?

From what I have seen and read, the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 SRW is the spring pack. Tires are the same, but the 3500 has 1000 lbs more payload capacity. The down side is the 3500 has less towing. I would have to go back to a DRW to get the payload and towing, but more tires on the ground and less fuel mileage.

Any input is appreciated.
scottg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

By the FR website, that model has a dry pin weight of 2292. So even with nothing in it, you'd be over the 2100 payload of the 3/4.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

I have seen the pin weight from FR, but I am not sure that is correct. The 06 3500 was not known for the best load holding. I had 14 psi in the air bags and then I set the weight down on the hitch, I was surprised at how little squat there was. I have put 2300 lbs in the back had way more squat than what the RV put.
scottg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg985 View Post
I have seen the pin weight from FR, but I am not sure that is correct. The 06 3500 was not known for the best load holding. I had 14 psi in the air bags and then I set the weight down on the hitch, I was surprised at how little squat there was. I have put 2300 lbs in the back had way more squat than what the RV put.
For all purposes implied the pin weight they publish is there base unit with no options.
If anything its "higher" then published.

The pin weight on my unit was 150# heavier then published.
I chalked that up to dealer added battery and dealer filled propane tanks.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing