Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

5th wheel clearance

I'm new to a 5th wheel (finishing up my 1st season), I' ve had bumper pulls prior. I've read 6-8" of clearance is right for the bed of the truck. My new truck is factory high and I've set it to 6" clearance due to the fact that it is still nose high(29" front,23" rear) my axles are already on the bottom and my dealer said it would be worse for the stabilization to raise it any higher. This weekend, I was going down a forest road and hit one side of the bed.(miniscule damage thankfully) I know now that 6" is not enough clearance for the types of roads I like to travel. So what is a good height? anyone out there drive these type of roads with a similar set up? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

Sorry you dinged your truck but I have a Sierra 356RL and havent got my pinbox and hitch right yet in 2 years and am about to just park it. 2014 2500 RAM is just TOO TALL. I have my hitch as high as it will go and thats about 18 inches above the be floor leaving just a few inches to the top rail of the bed. So many people tell me the trailer has to be level - so I raised the pin box which lowered the nose of the trailer and sure nuff its 25.5 inches front and rear of the trailer but from some 7-8 inches clearance on the bed to 6 just looks too darn close. So I don't know what to do - no help to you huh... If you lower the cross bar on your hitch I think you have 4 holes for 3 inches to lower or raise. That can lower your trailer nose BUT it will lower that pin box closer if not into your bed. I have a Lippert 1716 and it is one long sucker. I've thought of getting the Lippert 1116 pinbox and that will clear my bed BUT take the trailer 5 inches closer to the cab that I've already hit but stopped short of breaking the glass. You would think by now someone somewhere would just say - short bed 6'4" will take this hitch and pinbox! Right now I'm thinking I'll just put the pin box down and that trailer will just have to ride a few inches low in the back as the cost to swap pinboxes is too high. And these comments that it just takes an hour with someones buddys - BULL!!! And I'm not messing with the axles. I'll be watching to see what you get done. Ed
semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

You can always raise the trailer axles or maybe put on taller tires to give it a little more height in the rear but usually 6 inches of bed clearance is good but I don't go off road on anything really extreme. I'm sure some of the pros will pop in and help.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by semlohde View Post
Sorry you dinged your truck but I have a Sierra 356RL and havent got my pinbox and hitch right yet in 2 years and am about to just park it. 2014 2500 RAM is just TOO TALL. I have my hitch as high as it will go and thats about 18 inches above the be floor leaving just a few inches to the top rail of the bed. So many people tell me the trailer has to be level - so I raised the pin box which lowered the nose of the trailer and sure nuff its 25.5 inches front and rear of the trailer but from some 7-8 inches clearance on the bed to 6 just looks too darn close. So I don't know what to do - no help to you huh... If you lower the cross bar on your hitch I think you have 4 holes for 3 inches to lower or raise. That can lower your trailer nose BUT it will lower that pin box closer if not into your bed. I have a Lippert 1716 and it is one long sucker. I've thought of getting the Lippert 1116 pinbox and that will clear my bed BUT take the trailer 5 inches closer to the cab that I've already hit but stopped short of breaking the glass. You would think by now someone somewhere would just say - short bed 6'4" will take this hitch and pinbox! Right now I'm thinking I'll just put the pin box down and that trailer will just have to ride a few inches low in the back as the cost to swap pinboxes is too high. And these comments that it just takes an hour with someones buddys - BULL!!! And I'm not messing with the axles. I'll be watching to see what you get done. Ed
I have been running 6" clearance since 2008 with no problems whats so ever. I have been in places that the 5er looked like it was going to turn over and have never touched the bed of my truck.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

how many have hit the bed due to clearance issues? my brother is looking to trade in his tt for a 5er and I beleive he may have issues putting it into his drive. His road is on a hill, which goes up into a two car driveway before it levels off again. I am thinking it would bind up on it? Opinions for those that have hit the bed. Any trailer damage or is this more like bed damage??
robm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

I too had bed clearance problems with my 26 ft. wildwood fifth wheel and my 2005 Dodge Ram pickup. I like to get off the road and I also experienced the driveway problems. My pickup was too tall for the trailer, if I raised the fifth wheel hitch it just raised the nose of the trailer. In order to level the trailer I had to change the axles by raising the axle above the springs. You have to weld a saddle on the top of the axle in order to do it right. That gave me the 8 to 9 inches of clearance that I needed on top of the bed. I have kissed the bed sides when the clearance was only 6 inches. I don't feel that my trailer has any balance issues after it was raised. Hope this helps.
driftcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #7

Maybe you could lower the truck? I'm not familiar with Chevy's, but my previous F350 SRW had very large blocks between the rear springs and the axle. If your truck is similar, try to find smaller blocks.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikier View Post
I'm new to a 5th wheel (finishing up my 1st season), I' ve had bumper pulls prior. I've read 6-8" of clearance is right for the bed of the truck. My new truck is factory high and I've set it to 6" clearance due to the fact that it is still nose high(29" front,23" rear) my axles are already on the bottom and my dealer said it would be worse for the stabilization to raise it any higher. This weekend, I was going down a forest road and hit one side of the bed.(miniscule damage thankfully) I know now that 6" is not enough clearance for the types of roads I like to travel. So what is a good height? anyone out there drive these type of roads with a similar set up? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Can you not put longer spring shackles on the rear springs on a 3/4T? I did on my 1/2T and lowered the rear bumper 2" and that leveled the truck front to rear.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have added 2 1/2 inches lift kit on the Dexter Axles on trailer. This has my 6 inches of clearance now and tow level. I was too close for comfort on many a park road or even backing in my driveway. The Ford Box is not as deep as the Ram, I did check a couple models before buying. I also am 1 size larger on tires on the TV 1 inch taller as well.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

I just dropped the 5er off at my dealer to raise trailer. they are going to cut off the leaf spring hangers, weld 3" box steel to the bottom of the frame and then weld the leaf spring hangers to the bottom of that. I'l let you all know how it turns out
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #11

Miker - Not trying to be a smart a**, but don't forget that when you raise the bottom of the trailer 3", the top goes up the same amount. I notice your trailer specs indicate the height is 12'2", but I can't tell if that includes the air conditioner. If not, your actual height is probably 13'2" and after the lift you'll be very close to the 13'6" maximum. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #12

The roof/ air conditioner clearance can be a problem when you raise your trailer. I raised my trailer 6" which makes the highest point on my trailer 12 ft. 6 inches now. It will not fit in my current shed and am in the process of building on a taller addition to fit the trailer under because of it. This last year when I traveled from the Pacific Northwest to the Mid West I encountered a railroad trestle that was only 11 ft. and change, I had to turn around in the road and go back, after that I was a little jumpy and read every overpass height sign before going under it. I see some of these monster 5th wheels going down the road and can only imagine that they must have to stay on the interstates.
driftcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

The man usually includes the AC in overall ht. Best to just hook up and measure it.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI

Low Clearance GPS Data
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel