Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Question 5th Wheel Drop Down Goose Neck Hitch

I recently upgraded to a used Ford Super Duty that has a goose neck ball already in the floor of the box. Instead of mounting my old Curt sliding hitch in the bed I'm considering a 15" drop down goose neck adapter that would mount to my king pin on the 5th wheel. I'm looking at two different models, the EZ Lift 15" gooseneck adapter and the Conert-A-Ball C5G1216 Adjustable.
I'm pulling a 30' Rockwood Ultralite that grosses at about 9,000 pounds.
Can anyone give me some advice and do's and don'ts please?
Thanks, Jim

jwinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Quick answer: Be VERY careful not to damage the trailer!

Trailer frames have been known to bend from using such adapters. The fundamental problem is 15" is a long lever arm that will result in forces the trailer frame may not been able to handle.

SOME goose neck/pin box conversions are deemed OK. I think you may find that companies' ownership and/or joint marketing is at least partially responsible.

Some folks have be successful doing what you're considering. It has its appeal. Goose necks are very popular in some trailer types...large horse trailers for example. However, they are designed and built with the forces of a goose neck in mind.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
Quick answer: Be VERY careful not to damage the trailer!

Trailer frames have been known to bend from using such adapters. The fundamental problem is 15" is a long lever arm that will result in forces the trailer frame may not been able to handle.

SOME goose neck/pin box conversions are deemed OK. I think you may find that companies' ownership and/or joint marketing is at least partially responsible.

Some folks have be successful doing what you're considering. It has its appeal. Goose necks are very popular in some trailer types...large horse trailers for example. However, they are designed and built with the forces of a goose neck in mind.
Agreed.

Unless the trailer was specifically built for the drop gooseneck, there can be issues.

There are far better options to connect to the center ball than a drop gooseneck adapter on the trailer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #4

You can install and Anderson Ultimate hitch which will mount to your ball in the bed of the truck, and will not have the potential twisting issue the gooseneck adapters. The cost is about $200 more than the convert-a-ball. I use it on my rig and love how it works.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

Get the Anderson. I have it pulling my Rockwood ultralite and it works like a dream.
Hijo202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:45 AM   #6

Folks have been using gooseneck adapters as long as there have been fifth wheel RVs. Most farm and ranch folks I know use them on all sizes and weights of RVs. My nephew uses one on his monster toy hauler that he hauls around the backwoods on rough dirt roads. His is an adjustable type.
Don't let all the naysayers discourage you, ask them for proof of all the failures and problems supposably caused by adapters. I've never seen or heard of any in RL, and most of my RV group uses them.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #7

I would definitely spend the extra money and get the Reese goosbox.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #8

We bought a Raptor new in 13 and they told me that if I put a goose neck adapter on it the frame warranty would be void because of the extra stress on the frame.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #9

Our friends had a dutchmen toyhauler that they had a gooseneck adapter on. The outside walls were cracked where the bedroom portion of the fifth wheel started. So they do cause damage.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Folks have been using gooseneck adapters as long as there have been fifth wheel RVs. Most farm and ranch folks I know use them on all sizes and weights of RVs. My nephew uses one on his monster toy hauler that he hauls around the backwoods on rough dirt roads. His is an adjustable type.
Don't let all the naysayers discourage you, ask them for proof of all the failures and problems supposably caused by adapters. I've never seen or heard of any in RL, and most of my RV group uses them.
Scott,

I understand you skepticism, especially when you know of several folks that are using them and have no issues. I'm somewhat that way too if I haven't witnessed it firsthand.

That said, I've seen two 5th wheels personally and have read of (I think if memory serves correctly) two others.
All seemed to crack the frame near the pin box and surrounding area.

Were these failures because of the drop gooseneck adapter or from some other reason?... I have no clue... but they all had one thing in common... the adapter.

I mentioned my concern not because I'm a naysayer, simply to give the OP an opportunity to weigh the issues I have witnessed.

I hope they take your advice and mine equally.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Scott,

I understand you skepticism, especially when you know of several folks that are using them and have no issues. I'm somewhat that way too if I haven't witnessed it firsthand.

That said, I've seen two 5th wheels personally and have read of (I think if memory serves correctly) two others.
All seemed to crack the frame near the pin box and surrounding area.

Were these failures because of the drop gooseneck adapter or from some other reason?... I have no clue... but they all had one thing in common... the adapter.

I mentioned my concern not because I'm a naysayer, simply to give the OP an opportunity to weigh the issues I have witnessed.

I hope they take your advice and mine equally.
I understand and respect your opinion. Always have.
I'm going from my own experience and have seen these adapters widely used with no problems I've ever seen.
The group that uses these adapters, uses them because they have several gooseneck trailers and don't want to have to change truck hitches for different types of trailer hitches. So if the OP doesn't have other gooseneck trailers, he might be better off with a different type of hitch. Depends on whether his major concern is cost, ease of use, or function.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #12

I believe the Reese Goosebox is the only goose ball type hitch approved by Lippert.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinzer View Post
I recently upgraded to a used Ford Super Duty that has a goose neck ball already in the floor of the box. Instead of mounting my old Curt sliding hitch in the bed I'm considering a 15" drop down goose neck adapter that would mount to my king pin on the 5th wheel. I'm looking at two different models, the EZ Lift 15" gooseneck adapter and the Conert-A-Ball C5G1216 Adjustable.
I'm pulling a 30' Rockwood Ultralite that grosses at about 9,000 pounds.
Can anyone give me some advice and do's and don'ts please?
Thanks, Jim

Checkout B&W Companion or Anderson. Do you have long bed?
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #14

When I bought my fifth wheel in 2011 another fiver 2010 Wildcat was in their shop with the front torn apart for repair and I asked the service manager about it since it was the same year as mine. He told me it was from a goose neck adapter and he showed me because I was a little worried about mine. And you could clearly see how the metal had ripped from the cross frame members. The owner had pulled it to the dealers with the camper down against the rails of the bed. He was lucky that it didn't come loose from the truck. So it does happen to some. I also had built ball adapter on my old fiver for my brother in law because the frame is built different and is a lot more sturdy than the newer ultra lights. After 9 years it is still fine for him but that being said I still wouldn't put it on my newer fifth wheel.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
I believe the Reese Goosebox is the only goose ball type hitch approved by Lippert.
Wonder why that is?

Is it because they have tested them all and only 1 passed. Or they passed the only one that they make money on?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-of-reese-goose-box-pin-box-by-cequent-performance-products-127893378.html
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #16

I have used the Anderson for many years and love it. Highly recommended.
Dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #17

I use a Anderson ranch gooseneck adapter. Easy install at home. Remote release and lock cable. Make sure the locking box faces bedside not in back or front of hitch. The ball will burr up the roller opening and make locking it not smooth. Have snout tac welded at top to prevent snout from unscrewing.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #18

Don't know anything about them, but the Gen-Y Hitch might be an option too.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #19

Hi,

Years ago, I retrofitted a gooseneck and after one trip, went back to my standard fifth wheel setup.

The very obvious enhanced movement in the pin box -- due to the increased vertical lever arm -- scared the living daylights out of me. The prospect of fatigue where the forward section of the frame joined to the pin box was obvious.

Just my experience. Others may not share this level of concern, particularly if they know the manufacturer designed in sufficient strength in this area. I did not, and wasn't going to take the risk.

FWIW.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel