Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

5th wheel hitch questions

I have a Husky EZ Slider 16K hitch that I originally purchased for my 6.5' bed F150 and a smaller 5th wheel. When we upgraded the 5th wheel, we also upgraded the tow vehicle to a F350 diesel dually and put the hitch into it with new rails.

The problem is that the hitch handle is too hard to pull out by my wife. it has a really strong spring, and it eliminates her going out on here own with her girl friends. I have checked other Husky hitches on RV showrooms and that are all equally stiff, so mine is not an oddity. I have to go ahead to setup and disconnect and then come back later. Since the new truck has a 8' box, I don't need the slider function.. I am thinking of selling the hitch and purchasing a used static hitch that is easier to open so she can go on here own.

Question: Are the rails on 5th wheel hitches based on a specific standard? Will other hitches fit into the rails installed in my new truck without modifications. Are there hitches that are easier to disconnect. I am thinking of moving up in hitch weight capacity just in case I want to purchase a heavier trailer in the future.. would that affect the rails as well?

thanks for any advice you could provide

jeff
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #2

Just wondering if there is a "load" on the hitch when she pulls the handle? My Reese is hard to pull also if the trailer is too high or too low when I disconnect. In the sweet spot it.s easy. Can she pull the handle when no trailer is on the hitch?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
I have changed fifth wheel hitches without changing rails, but I was told in advance there might have to be some slight adjustments made. Fortunately that wasn't the case with mine.

Someone out there may correct me, but I believe they are generally considered "standard" spacing.

We have a BW fifth wheel hitch and as long as the trailer height is right with the weight off the hitch (but not high enough it's binding that way) - it is a very easy unlock.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 11 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
I have changed fifth wheel hitches without changing rails, but I was told in advance there might have to be some slight adjustments made. Fortunately that wasn't the case with mine.

Someone out there may correct me, but I believe they are generally considered "standard" spacing.

We have a BW fifth wheel hitch and as long as the trailer height is right with the weight off the hitch (but not high enough it's binding that way) - it is a very easy unlock.
X2. If you are using the rails, they are pretty standard. I've swapped hitches several times with friends for various reasons. Never had any problems with the different hitches fitting in the rails.
The OP might want to contact Husky tech support as they might have a solution to his hitch problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #5

As lcv800 alluded to, sometimes it can be a load issue. We havent had ours for very long, but one thing I have noticed is this. If I park the RV in a pull through spot, just pulling in and parking. I can NOT pull the handle, doesnt matter how hard I try, both hands, etc. If I pull in, and then back up (can be an inch, can be 10 feet, just as long as I back up) it will "release the pressure", and it pulls easy with one hand, effortless. Maybe experiment a little bit with that and see if it changes your results?

Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Even when the trailer is not connected the handle is very hard to pull.. I am pretty strong and I have to put effort into pulling the handle. I am not sure about other manufacturers, but when I am backing up to connect The trailer, once I get onto the pocket, the jaw and handle snap shut and locked based on the heavy spring. I then only put on the safety pin And am ready to go
Old 05-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #7

The "violent" snapping shut of the jaws during hook up seems to be the normal across the board for all of the hitches. But if its a challenge even when you arent hooked up, maybe there is something wrong with the hitch itself? I dont have a lot of experience, and my experience is with only one hitch, but I have never heard of a handle being difficult to pull when the hitch is "empty". Hopefully there are other Husky users that can confirm if your experience is "normal".

Old 05-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Never used a conventional hitch, so, I can't comment. I have the Andersen Ultimate and it's smooth as butter if you can't find a conventional fifth wheel hitch that works for your wife. She could easily manage the Andersen. I know some people don't like them, that's fine, just giving feedback on the hitching mechanism, not trying to push them or turn this into one of those debates.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #9

I agree with other posts regarding alignment of pin plate to hitch. Make sure you back up prior to un hitching as foresee motion licks it in. That said, I love my Demco Autoslid, best hitch I’ve had.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #10

I think I have the same hitch as op. I have the same experience as op. It is difficult to pull open. I personally dont think it's a function of power required. It's just awkward to pull it directly towards the side wall of truck. It's really difficult to get any leverage.

It looks like this - https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...326-31314.html.

I have to climb on the tire, scrunch down and the I pull 100% with my arms at 90 degrees. No shoulder or leg muscles can be used. Maybe that's part of OP's challenge. Anyone have a solution for that?
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
I think I have the same hitch as op. I have the same experience as op. It is difficult to pull open. I personally dont think it's a function of power required. It's just awkward to pull it directly towards the side wall of truck. It's really difficult to get any leverage.

It looks like this - https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...326-31314.html.

I have to climb on the tire, scrunch down and the I pull 100% with my arms at 90 degrees. No shoulder or leg muscles can be used. Maybe that's part of OP's challenge. Anyone have a solution for that?
I think the OP is on the right track; new, different hitch
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
Even when the trailer is not connected the handle is very hard to pull.. I am pretty strong and I have to put effort into pulling the handle. I am not sure about other manufacturers, but when I am backing up to connect The trailer, once I get onto the pocket, the jaw and handle snap shut and locked based on the heavy spring. I then only put on the safety pin And am ready to go
Something is wrong with your hitch. I have the same hitch in my shed now and it pulls open very easily, always has. I suggest you contact Husky for advice and/or instructions on how to repair it.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #13

Might be the reason it is called a Husky hitch..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Just wondering if there is a "load" on the hitch when she pulls the handle? My Reese is hard to pull also if the trailer is too high or too low when I disconnect. In the sweet spot it.s easy. Can she pull the handle when no trailer is on the hitch?
Rusty
I've found the same thing. A related issue, on rare occasions the safety pin on my Reese hitch seemed to go all the way through, but in fact it only went through the upper part of the locking mechanism. Fortunately, a service tech showed me the issue before I lost the trailer on the road.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #15

Cheater

Hi, If nothing wrong with hitch. Maybe a cheater bar for wife. I would use it too. Long pipe.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
New to FR. Old to TT

5th hitch

We have an Andersen 5th wheel hitch and love it, no lever to pull only a push/pull and twist lock. Easy to hookup even if truck an trailer are not inline or at odd angle. Get close under the socket and lower the trailet ball down and push in the lock and turn to stop movement. Unhook just reverse and raise trailer SLOWLY that way if there is any pressure from truck the ball will just slide out and no rocking.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
I have a Husky EZ Slider 16K hitch that I originally purchased for my 6.5' bed F150 and a smaller 5th wheel. When we upgraded the 5th wheel, we also upgraded the tow vehicle to a F350 diesel dually and put the hitch into it with new rails.

The problem is that the hitch handle is too hard to pull out by my wife. it has a really strong spring, and it eliminates her going out on here own with her girl friends. I have checked other Husky hitches on RV showrooms and that are all equally stiff, so mine is not an oddity. I have to go ahead to setup and disconnect and then come back later. Since the new truck has a 8' box, I don't need the slider function.. I am thinking of selling the hitch and purchasing a used static hitch that is easier to open so she can go on here own.

Question: Are the rails on 5th wheel hitches based on a specific standard? Will other hitches fit into the rails installed in my new truck without modifications. Are there hitches that are easier to disconnect. I am thinking of moving up in hitch weight capacity just in case I want to purchase a heavier trailer in the future.. would that affect the rails as well?

thanks for any advice you could provide

jeff
If you are looking at another hitch, look at B&W. Heavy as hell and expensive, but built like a tank and very easy to use. Basically locks itself when you back into it (then safety pin it). Unlocking handle requires very little force (no heavy actuator springs involved). Check etrailer for fitment.
boogiejack75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #18

Yes. I think that was a good video. When he was opening the jaws to connect back into the trailer, he used both hands and then had to pull several times to get it to correct out position to engage the open locking tab

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on the other posts saying chances are good that the rail spacing is pretty standard, I am going to look for another hitch from a different manufacturer

Cheers. Jeff

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel