Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch Visibility Solution

I have a 4 door crew cab GMC 3500 with a standard bed and a hard trifold tonneau cover. When I hook up, I cannot see my hitch from the drivers seat as it sits below the folded back tonneau cover. This has made hitching up a multiple trip out of the cab exercise to get lined up properly. I considered buying a 3rd brake light combo cargo camera but the cost is not trivial and I was not totally sure how good the visibilty might be after shelling out some serious coin.

I came up with a solution that has worked incredibly well and it cost me nothing. I had a pair of those magnetic base telescoping markers with tennis balls at the top I used on a former TT. I took one and stuck it in the middle of my 5th wheel hitch. Then I put a thin strip of white vinyl tape on the center of the pin box. Now when I look out the back window of my cab from the drivers seat, all I need to do is line up the chrome shaft of the marker with the white tape line on the pin box and I am on the money first time, every time. Works like a charm. Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220526_203748.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	273976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220526_203418.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	273977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220526_203831.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	273978  
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:33 PM   #2

Crew cab Chevy here also, and can't see my hitch to connect up.

I put a small strip of tape in the middle of my rear window. When backing up, I line the tape up with the OnStar button on the center of my rear view mirror, and aim at the center of my pin box. Easy hookup.

When I first did this, I had a strip of white duck tape on the pin box to aim for. But it weathered off, and my eyeball estimate of the center of the pin box pretty much gets me in the middle without it.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:36 AM   #3

I have an anderson ball hitch. when cover is off. first shot bingo. with cover folded, back up , stop check, back up check. pain in @@@, tried the tape method, wife said how about getting one of those mirrors . Working on that.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel