Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Keep it simple. Now I have never tried this but just started thinking of easy solutions. Of course Iím a firm believer of confidence is the feeling you have before you understand all the problems. Contacts and bells and buzzers sounds to hard.

Iíd try this, Back your truck and trailer until you are at the max angle you want to see. Take a dowel rod (long enough) and a small piece of Velcro. Apply one side of the Velcro (loop) to dowel rod. Now, find the a point on the 5ver that when the dowel rod is placed on the 5ver pointing down that it will touch the side of your truck bed. Now apply a small piece of Velcro (hoop) to to 5ver at that point.

Now, before you back up get your dowel rod out and attach it to the 5ver using the Velcro. As you back up you can see in your mirror when the rod gets close or touches the truck bed.

Do this on both sides. Downside, you have a small piece of Velcro on the RV. Upside, you keep a truck window. Might be worth a try...or just back up until it sounds expensive..lol
Now this sounds like something to try out.
CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
We pull a 5ver now, but when we had a 35' tt, DW bought me the "EYE BALL" camera system. Monitor plugged into cig lighter socket and the camera had a magnetic base that i slapped onto the tailgate. Worked great! I'm thinking a guy could slap that pivoting magnetic camera base on the roof or backside of the cab and get similar results. What I don't remember, is how wide of an angled lens the camera had. Might be worth checking out. The company advertises in all the rv mags. I think it was about 100 bucks. I lent it to one of DW's kids, so of course I'll never see it again.lol
I like this idea, found this on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-RVS-.../dp/B01N3UW99I

There are others like it, it looks like you can use your phone with the downloaded app for the camera screen, this one has option for 9V battery I saw others that have built in lithium batteries that you charge with a micro usb. Just slap this sucker on the roof when you know you need to make some tight turns!!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
I like this idea, found this on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-RVS-.../dp/B01N3UW99I

There are others like it, it looks like you can use your phone with the downloaded app for the camera screen, this one has option for 9V battery I saw others that have built in lithium batteries that you charge with a micro usb. Just slap this sucker on the roof when you know you need to make some tight turns!!
I think you would still be guessing. It is hard to look at a wide angle camera and determine actually where the 5ver is. Iím sure it is good for aligning a socket over a ball but Iím not sure about eye balling a 5ver and cab. Might be worth a try though as long as you donít have a newer Ford truck made with aluminum...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #24

Easiest answer is to just buy an appropriate hitch if you intend to stick with a pickup that has a shorter bed. Otherwise, just ensure you never get in a position to get anywhere close to the cab. Just pull forward and reposition when you see the angle increasing. I did that for years before I discovered the Sidewinder.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Easiest answer is to just buy an appropriate hitch if you intend to stick with a pickup that has a shorter bed. Otherwise, just ensure you never get in a position to get anywhere close to the cab. Just pull forward and reposition when you see the angle increasing. I did that for years before I discovered the Sidewinder.
BINGO!

No need to get into that tight of an angle.
Just pull forward (or backward) and reposition. A few inches is sometimes all it takes.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #26

I do have a short bed pick-up truck with a 5er. I have pulled three different 5er's with two different short bed trucks.My statement to all who pull with a short bed truck is:

"There are two type of people who pull with a short bed truck. Those who have hit the cab and broken the rear window and those that will hit the cab and window."

Those that say other wise have never pulled with a short bed truck. Also if they say you don't need a sliding mechanism of some sort, have them agree in writing that they will pay for your damages!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #27

P.S. By the time you realize that you are close to the cab, it will be too late by than!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I do have a short bed pick-up truck with a 5er. I have pulled three different 5er's with two different short bed trucks.My statement to all who pull with a short bed truck is:

"There are two type of people who pull with a short bed truck. Those who have hit the cab and broken the rear window and those that will hit the cab and window."

Those that say other wise have never pulled with a short bed truck. Also if they say you don't need a sliding mechanism of some sort, have them agree in writing that they will pay for your damages!
What do YOU consider a short bed truck?

I have had six different trucks, all with a 6.5' or 6.75' beds pulling several different 5th wheels thousands of miles and have yet to hit the cab or used a slider mechanism.

If you are talking 5.5' beds, that is a different animal (and much rarer) and it is generally accepted and never argued (that I have seen) that you need either a slider, an Andersen or a Revolution/Sidewinder type hitch.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #29

I have always pulled with a 6 1/2 foot bed and these are my experience. It is not the shorter box (5.5) used on some of the small half ton trucks
Old 03-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

Jim, I donít think you can say all and I do agree everyone has to determine the right set up for their truck RV combination. You and I have the same Silverback cap configuration and both 2016 models. I have the 33IK. I drive a Ford and you drive a Ram.

When I first bought my 33IK I heard the horror stories and bought a manual Reese slider. Never once used it or needed it due to how my (and your) front cap is designed. Now, I have a buddy who drives a Ford and has a Montana and he blew out his rear window the first time he backed into his driveway. He thought since I had no issues he would have no issues. His front cap is squared of and not indented like mine.

The OP is aware of his issue and obviously looking for a tool to help him. All the suggestions for sliders, auto slides, sidewinders are great but maybe he does not want to spend the $1500-$2000 to change out his hitch system not to mention the 150-200lbs in added payload. The next argument will be, well, when he blows out the window he could have used that $ to upgrade his hitch system. OP is obviously cautious of this and looking at tool to help him.

Iíve loaded some pics of my clearance. As you can see the dimples in the cap help me immensely on clearance but as I stated everyone needs to research their own configuration

I have changed from the Reese manual slider to the Andersen Ultimate and love it especially when I want my bed back. I donít have to call one of my SILs to come help me muscle it out..lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CCD73AD-9330-432F-AE24-828A241D60C9.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	225095   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC93679A-65FF-46A1-9E11-2F0445BD2422.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	225096   Click image for larger version

Name:	2A129AD8-79D6-495A-9B03-58BFE1D5FEDB.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	225097  
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #31
Olemax

The current model of the i-ball camera has approximately 180 degree field of view. It is limited to short distance viewing, but the field of view is great.
2006 Sierra 2500HD CC SB (sold)

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger80 View Post
I have a short bed truck towing a 2008 Surveyor 5th wheel that does not have the rounded corners. It is possible to turn in such a way that the corner of the trailer will contact the cab of the truck. Is anyone aware of either a commercially available device (or a homemade one) that will warn before this happens? My wife does a good job, but I often move the trailer by myself and in a tight spot would like to have the peace of mind of an early warning device. I am towing with an Andersen hitch and I am not interested in changing to one of the sliding hitches.
We use a HiJacker/Demco 18K Autoslide, works fantastic
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What do YOU consider a short bed truck?

I have had six different trucks, all with a 6.5' or 6.75' beds pulling several different 5th wheels thousands of miles and have yet to hit the cab or used a slider mechanism.

If you are talking 5.5' beds, that is a different animal (and much rarer) and it is generally accepted and never argued (that I have seen) that you need either a slider, an Andersen or a Revolution/Sidewinder type hitch.

A short bed truck has a bed less than 8' long. Not having a slider hitch in a short bed truck is just asking for trouble. You might get lucky for a while, but eventually that luck will run out at the most inopportune time.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #34

5th Wheel Jack-Knife Warning Device

So let me tell ya how that first pic of your jack knifed truck may hit your cab.

Imagine your in a parking lot going around a tight corner (left turn) and mess up and the driver side trailer wheels hit the curb (drivers side) and then climb up on the curb while you are in a 75-80 degree turn.

Also that picture I donít think shows the closet point to the cab.

Anyway your trailer may tilt enough to hit near the top of the cab just above the window and you wonít know it even happens till you get to your next destination.

The top of the tailgate can be hit also by the pin box in a off camber situation, (front of the truck lower & rear of the camper lower).

Both have happened for me.

I also feel like a slider in the maneuvering position gives you some additional ease of parking. Plus the tailgate can be down.

Now I admit that your trailer may not do this, while others do.

Just food for thought.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger80 View Post
I have a short bed truck towing a 2008 Surveyor 5th wheel that does not have the rounded corners. It is possible to turn in such a way that the corner of the trailer will contact the cab of the truck. Is anyone aware of either a commercially available device (or a homemade one) that will warn before this happens? My wife does a good job, but I often move the trailer by myself and in a tight spot would like to have the peace of mind of an early warning device. I am towing with an Andersen hitch and I am not interested in changing to one of the sliding hitches.

Look into one of those 'sidewinder' kingpin boxes. Just the thing for a shortbed. It extends the trailer/cab clearance by several inches. I had the 5th Airborne Premium model. It's a little pricey but with the improved ride I found it worth the price. Plus you can hook up at 90ļ. There is a less expensive one out there. (etrailer.com)

Sidewinder 5th Wheel King Pin with Rotating Turret or:
5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
So let me tell ya how that first pic of your jack knifed truck may hit your cab.

Imagine your in a parking lot going around a tight corner (left turn) and mess up and the driver side trailer wheels hit the curb (drivers side) and then climb up on the curb while you are in a 75-80 degree turn.

Also that picture I donít think shows the closet point to the cab.

Anyway your trailer may tilt enough to hit near the top of the cab just above the window and you wonít know it even happens till you get to your next destination.

The top of the tailgate can be hit also by the pin box in a off camber situation, (front of the truck lower & rear of the camper lower).

Both have happened for me.

I also feel like a slider in the maneuvering position gives you some additional ease of parking. Plus the tailgate can be down.

Now I admit that your trailer may not do this, while others do.

Just food for thought.
Iím assuming you are talking about my pics?

Youíre right I guess it could happen but I would never put myself in a situation where I am turning that sharp in a parking lot or anywhere else. I donít ever turn that sharp, just did it in the parking lot of my storage garage for demonstration.

But you are right, it could happen. Also, when I first got my RV I had a manual slider and as I left a Pilot my rear wheels went up on the curb and the underside of my RV hit the rail of my truck. I did not have enough clearance for,sure. I raised my trailer and have not had an issue since.

Iíve pulled my RV over 30K+ miles and been in many tight places and have not hit my cab (I guess knock on wood).

I had a manual slider, never used it. If I had an auto slider I would have never known I didnít need it. Now have an Andersen and have more clearance than before. But everyone need to make their own decision based on their equipment. Just canít make blank statements of it will happen eventually. Iím sure there are plenty of others on this site who have sliders they never need but bought one because they read that is was just a matter of time warnings on this forum.

Now watch, I will blow my window out tomorrow..lol
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #37

5th Wheel Jack-Knife Warning Device

You I agree it is a unusual occurrence. So when it happened, I was in the WalMart i think just north or just south Naples, Florida.

Well this WalMart did not want trucks. I didnít research ahead of time and my wife just wanted to stop and pick up a few things.

This WalMart has grass dividers front of the store to the rear of the parking lot. I barely found a spot to park. Nothing at the back of the lot at all and the Road back there was barely big enough for two cars.

Getting out I had to drive to the front of the store and make a crazy left turn.

It got me.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
You I agree it is a unusual occurrence. So when it happened, I was in the WalMart i think just north or just south Naples, Florida.

Well this WalMart did not want trucks. I didnít research ahead of time and my wife just wanted to stop and pick up a few things.

This WalMart has grass dividers front of the store to the rear of the parking lot. I barely found a spot to park. Nothing at the back of the lot at all and the Road back there was barely big enough for two cars.

Getting out I had to drive to the front of the store and make a crazy left turn.

It got me.
Sorry to hear that Mike..

When I hit the rails I had a slider but I would not usually use it for normal driving. I donít even look anymore but I have good clearance, not everyone does. Safe travels..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Tags
5th wheel, wheel